Poker Hands and Strategy

85 is a bluff catcher in that spot. There aren’t a lot of reasonable bluffs for hero to have, especially if V1 is a giant fish who amassed a big stack because he doesn’t like folding.

fold pre

5 Likes

No thanks :blush:

I really want to play in this tournament where the best player in the field is open limping from MP and then calling with 85.

3 Likes

He didn’t call. He did limp.

And he has like 1.3m winnings. He is very good player.

Given table dynamics his limp isn’t nuts. Especially with v1 100% going to be in hand. His fold to me is a bit nuts but I chatted with him after and he couldn’t find any bluffs except the rare naked bluff which I happened to have.

That’s a call, it’s also not great

Lol in a vacuum sure. Poker tournaments have dynamics. I wish I played as “poorly” as he does. :grin:

He is generally very loose aggressive. Not fun to have at your table.

An open-limping strategy has value at a table full of passive fish who play poorly postflop but respect your preflop raises.

1 Like

With 85? No, it doesn’t. Unless you’re describing ‘fish’ who immediately fold to any sort of pressure post flop, but not pre flop. Which lol

Also if your raise frequency is 0% with 62hh in late position with a limper and 100+bb in a turbo tourney I don’t know what to say 🤷😁

Dynamics doesn’t justify playing 85 like that. And lots of people who have cashed a lot in tournaments make mistakes! They aren’t perfect.

A lot also aren’t very profitable either, but that’s a whole other thing.

What’s the case for V2 looking like he’s bluffing V1? V1 looks like a player betting for value after checking to the preflop raiser and seeing it get through. V2 should be raising for value because I’d imagine V1 didn’t get those chips by bet-folding top pair.

Nah, I’m describing fish who give you their stack when you cooler then with two pair or a straight.

I don’t think it’s correct at a 40bb stack depth, though.

So you’re trying to over two pair or straight/over straight with 85s. GL with that. Math disagrees with you. Going to need some massive stacks and 100% go broke rates.

Also, would probably be bad to put him on a bluff if he’s a stud specialist.

You can limp with 85s if the combination of players and stack depths give you enough implied odds. This is probably not the right situation, but the general claim that limping weak hands at some tables can be on has some merit.

You can limp some hands, you do not have the math to support 85 with ‘implied odds’. Until you show your work on the implied odds of that, it’s just made up nonsense.

Personally the biggest mistake v2 made imo was his raise sizing on the turn which allowed me to reraise bluff.

85s is clearly profitable given players who stack off with any pair and 10,000bb stacks. I don’t think I have to go through the math to prove it for everyone here to recognize it’s true. Also, it should be obvious that the hand becomes less profitable as you adjust the threshold for willingness to get it in and make the stacks shallower. I make no claims about where that shifts from less profitable to not profitable at all, although 40bb effective in a tournament doesn’t seem profitable.

In any case, I never specified limping with 85s was good, but was merely making the general assertion that open-limping can be a reasonable option.

This is a good example why hand discussions are so dumb sometimes.

On on side you have me telling you he is a great player with very significant wining numbers. On the other you have him limping 85 in a turbo one time.

Your conclusion. He is probably not good and a loser long term.

🤷