Poker Hands and Strategy

Would you fold against the OMCiest OMC who ever played?

Safe to say not folding an overfull in 1/3 100BB deep is the correct play 100% of the time. I’m convinced your HHs are a troll.

3 Likes

Except when you know your opponent has the nuts ldo

1 Like

So what’d villain have? (assuming he showed and didn’t instamuck)

He flopped quads. He was the preflop raiser, so his range is something like 33, 99, maybe JJ and zero flushes. I am absolutely certain he doesn’t raise with a flush against me in this spot.

Player pool may bluff if people show weakness by checking, but almost never bluff-raise unless someone makes an obviously weak small bet. A lot of them are station-y, so bet/fold is a great way to exploit many of them.

What are your hourlies in 1/3, plo etc?

Don’t humor him ffs. He posted that hand that way for one specific reaction

2 Likes

His HH aren’t real but if they were there is zero chance he is profitable.

1 Like

I do have a lot of flaws in my game. I do leave money on the table because in PLO and NL I almost always buy in for 100bb, don’t match the big stack, and don’t top off. I’m also not an aggressive table and seat changer.

I play with a lot of passive reg opponents who don’t semibluff enough, don’t 3bet light, take pot-control-ish lines with their good but not great hands, and trap with their nutted hands. In NL, the LP players are generally 30-40% VPIP. I almost never see players who are VPIPing 60+%. This results in a lot of four-way single-raised pots.

I’m an adequate but not great NL player. 5-ish bb/hour at 1/3 and 2/5. That’s ok, but I’m not inclined to take a shot at 5/T or higher. For PLO, mostly between 1/2 and 5/5, my winrate fluctuates between 12-15 bb/hour. Not a crusher, but fine for my purposes. I can carve out a middle-class existence with those win-rates, but I’m not buying any new cars for myself. I think I could win more if I had access to decent PLO8 games of a similar size.

I am aware that my presence tends to make the game play smaller. I have a reputation for liking to check-raise, which isn’t quite accurate. I do check-raise more than most, but it’s because I have a more balanced check-raising range and I’m good at recognizing when opponents will bet if I check to them, but might fold if I bet. The net result is that regs who know me tend to be cautious when I’m in a hand and are often only noticeably comfortable when they have the nuts, but one of my flaws is that I usually don’t try to push them off of an obvious top pair when I can’t rep a straight or flush.

Tournament-wise, I generally stay away from NL tournaments. I have had some success in mixed game tournaments, especially if there is a high-low component, and I’d like to really study more in that area.

1 Like

Fun hand from yesterday.

Blinds 500/1k/1k bba

Hand involves two big stacks at table by a lot. Average chips in tourney is like 40k.

V1 is giant fish in sb with about 140k. He is legit terrible.
V2 is in mp and is likely best player in field with about 40k.
Hero is in co with 105k.

Folded to v2 who limps (there was a decent amount of limping happening still! Lol)

Hero raises to 2.5k with 62hh

V1 calls and v2 calls

Flop Q38r

Check, check, check

Turn 5

V1 bets 3k, villain raises to 7 k.

Hero raises to 17k.

V1 folds Q2. V2 tanks for like 3 min and says he folded 85 which if true seems insane. I thought V2 was bluffing v1 and I was just rebuffing not getting two value hands to fold!

:grin:

85 is a bluff catcher in that spot. There aren’t a lot of reasonable bluffs for hero to have, especially if V1 is a giant fish who amassed a big stack because he doesn’t like folding.

fold pre

5 Likes

No thanks :blush:

I really want to play in this tournament where the best player in the field is open limping from MP and then calling with 85.

3 Likes

He didn’t call. He did limp.

And he has like 1.3m winnings. He is very good player.

Given table dynamics his limp isn’t nuts. Especially with v1 100% going to be in hand. His fold to me is a bit nuts but I chatted with him after and he couldn’t find any bluffs except the rare naked bluff which I happened to have.

That’s a call, it’s also not great

Lol in a vacuum sure. Poker tournaments have dynamics. I wish I played as “poorly” as he does. :grin:

He is generally very loose aggressive. Not fun to have at your table.

An open-limping strategy has value at a table full of passive fish who play poorly postflop but respect your preflop raises.

1 Like

With 85? No, it doesn’t. Unless you’re describing ‘fish’ who immediately fold to any sort of pressure post flop, but not pre flop. Which lol

Also if your raise frequency is 0% with 62hh in late position with a limper and 100+bb in a turbo tourney I don’t know what to say 🤷😁