Poker Hands and Strategy

:heart: Bart Hanson.

Genuinely taught me poker in 2008 with deuces cracked and crush live poker.

His podcasts still hold up today. I highly recommend finding the ones where he goes through every hand he VPIPs in a session.

1 Like

makes sense

https://twitter.com/brianchastings/status/1552353498632781825

Anyone want to ask about how to play 98732 against two opponents?

1 Like

Jam and say you’ll run it twice.

From a poker etiquette pov, you’re allowed to exploit accidental raises.

I did jam and declared I had 5 high to make the situation more fair. But he didn’t believe me and folded 10 Q hh.

Felt kinda shitty though

I think I sometimes might be going for too thin value on turn and river after flopping top pair OOP against a player who will often call my flop bets with two overs.

I’m sitting at a poker table right now with an actual VPIP 100% guy. I’m not sure I have played with an actual VPIP 100%er!

Although it did go raise reraise jam for $150 he cold calls and did fold to the back jam of like $700 in one hand! So he is a bit tight. :grinning:

1 Like

Ended up $900 in 1/3 In under two hours. Lol wish I didn’t have to leave.

Was his name Raj? If so, I played with him the other night. It was his first time ever playing poker. I didn’t think of offering him coaching until after I got home, I have been back a few times since to try and find him. He bought in from a brand new cellophaned brick of hundreds, pulled from a backpack full of those bricks.

It was a white guy so I don’t think so. :grin:

1 Like

I hate myself right now.

Single-raised pot, three ways, live 1/3. Flop is 633. Checked around.

Turn is a nine, putting two diamonds out there. Preflop raiser checks. I bet about half pot. Both call.

River is a jack, completing the flush. Checked to me. I bet 100 into 180ish. Button folds. Other player tanks. Then, he asks how much I have. He slowly raises all-in.

It’s such a classic example of how some low stakes players act when they are slow-playing.

I know I should fold my 66 here, but I’m so tilted by his tank job that I call even though I’ve played with him enough to know he tank-calls in this spot with a flush (if he doesn’t donk the river) and has no bluffs here.

Nice troll

6 Likes

Bruce makes all his money folding flopped boats in 1/3!

4 Likes

A lot of my profit seems to come from recognizing players who take very unbalanced lines and making exploitative calls and folds as warranted. I’m not as profitable in games where no such players are at the table and I leave money on the table by not bluff-raising some players without relevant blockers on my hand.

Let’s consider that there do exist players who won’t check-raise a flush or bluff on a paired board facing a bet from a player they perceive as tight. It’s ridiculous to say that no such player exists. How many hours of live poker would an attentive player have to play against someone like that before they should feel confident enough in their read to start making big laydowns?

Seems like spew to treat all low stakes players as fungible and see too many hands as unavoidable coolers if you’re playing against regs. The biggest mistake I exploit at small stakes is players having predictable, static strategies.

If you fold an overfull here you’re worse at poker than I thought.

6 Likes

I assert that there exist players who you should fold against if you knew how they played and that it’s possible to play enough hours against someone to know someone is that kind of player.

Show me where that reasoning is wrong.

The part where you’re playing 1/3.

3 Likes

1/3 players aren’t fungible.

I wouldn’t fold an flopped over full against you and you might be the weakest tightest player on earth.

5 Likes