I just don’t get why you’d take an implied odds gold mine like 88, in a multi-way raised pot, and try to play it aipf for pair value against a wide range that’s flipping vs you with almost all of it.
l dont know why people put the implied odds breakeven for pocket pairs at like 10:1, they never pay out like that. i dont really like to set mine for that chunk of my stack and i didn’t want to fold and i didn’t want to fight against v’s weak range when utg was in hand and crushing us both. i didn’t think he’d come along for my raise. that was a pretty strong read. i also found a big leak in my mid pocket pairs 77-TT in early positions so ive been trying to do other shit with them.
if utg folds to the 3 bet i think it’s far more idiotic, in my view, but w/e, im flatting next time
It’s fancy play if your goal is to limp-reraise with AA and you limp with an unbalanced range. For a long time, the standard belief was that you must always open-raise. It looks like FPS if you believe that, but solver work suggests that really isn’t true, so a never-limp strategy in the SB turns out to be an exploitative strategy that can be counter-exploited.
I’m more interested in the question of why we should have a limping range rather than solving for the exact range.
If you’re doing it right, you’re picking spots where there’s a lot of dead money in the pot.
yea i’ve been successfully open limping a lot of spots for years now, I just would have flatted squeezes 100% of the time. i feel the moment you reraise the range bad players immediately put you on is exactly KK/AA/AK and air.
I think because we have good enough pot odds that we are forced to play a wide range. But since we are out of position we have reverse implied odds on the bottom part of our range. So we need to limp a lot to keep the pot small and pot to stack ratios bigger. So we protect our limping range by limping with the top of our range frequently. I have never worked with a solver but I believe that some times we also raise really large (6x?) with a mix a value and bluffs depending on stack sizes
2/5 NL. I raise to 30 in EP with 45cc, the guy accidentally makes it 75 with 300 total. He was very clear that he screwed up and was just trying to call. Do you rip it here? Or play nice with 5 high oop.
Raising 6bb in EP with 5 high is a play you make when you run out of matches but still want to light money on fire.
A solver pure folds 45s up to and including the LJ and that’s when choosing between 2.5x and fold. Choosing between 6x and fold, I’d guess pure fold until CO.
Ha thanks, I know it’s a fold pre. It was 3am and poor poker was being played. I guess this was more of a poker etiquette question.
Thought some of you might be interested in the hand comments from Bart Hansen owner of Crush Live Poker. As a subscriber he comments on submitted hands.
Aligns with the thinking here.
First of all I want to apologize for the time that it took for me to get back to your submission. It’s been a crazy few weeks with the end of the WSOP, catching COVID and the move to my new house in the Boston area.
First of all I think this defend is WAY to wide here preflop. I know you are closing the action but 49dd is not good enough to call here in position to over 3x sizing especially when the pot is multiway. WIth that being said I have no issue with the way the hand is played up until the river. At the end these spots are certainly underbluffed at these stakes however I am having a really hard time finding a probable boat here besides 33 because you block the 4. And for him to have 33 this guy would have had to over call as a slow play on the flop with a player in between and go for a check raise on the river. Sometimes when it doesn’t make a lot of sense you just have to call.
Bart Hanson.
Genuinely taught me poker in 2008 with deuces cracked and crush live poker.
His podcasts still hold up today. I highly recommend finding the ones where he goes through every hand he VPIPs in a session.
makes sense
https://twitter.com/brianchastings/status/1552353498632781825
Anyone want to ask about how to play 98732 against two opponents?
Jam and say you’ll run it twice.
From a poker etiquette pov, you’re allowed to exploit accidental raises.
I did jam and declared I had 5 high to make the situation more fair. But he didn’t believe me and folded 10 Q hh.
Felt kinda shitty though
I think I sometimes might be going for too thin value on turn and river after flopping top pair OOP against a player who will often call my flop bets with two overs.
I’m sitting at a poker table right now with an actual VPIP 100% guy. I’m not sure I have played with an actual VPIP 100%er!
Although it did go raise reraise jam for $150 he cold calls and did fold to the back jam of like $700 in one hand! So he is a bit tight. 
Ended up $900 in 1/3 In under two hours. Lol wish I didn’t have to leave.
Was his name Raj? If so, I played with him the other night. It was his first time ever playing poker. I didn’t think of offering him coaching until after I got home, I have been back a few times since to try and find him. He bought in from a brand new cellophaned brick of hundreds, pulled from a backpack full of those bricks.