Some of your value comes from using the power of position to save bets, which you can’t do if you are all in.
Oh sorry I was thinking about the original flop action, it’s pretty read dependent, if you think he’s a bit spewy I’d look him up. But usually I’d fold. And absolutely no offense meant by this, but my read on you is that you’re more likely to overread the personal dynamics in the hand and think there more meta stuff going on than there actually is.
thanks, i think he thinks that too
he had KQs but I’m really trying hard to put him on a realistic range here. That hand seems to confirm at least that he can 5b me light, and is about what I figured he’d show up with there - although I expected possibly a little worse than that hand, down to KTo.
I think he does this with a shitload of small to mid pairs. he loves squeezing those. against that range that’s mostly broadways, Ax, and pairs, I’m absolutely crushing him, but honestly, I’m not sure. He tells me that that range is delusional of me. I’ve seen him show up with T7o in this exact spot, except the T7o hand was from the SB, not the BB. Very very similar situation and stack sizes though.
Well to be fair I suck at tournament poker, so I’m not going to pretend like I’m any type of authority, but min raising there puts you in difficult spot both preflop and on most flops
yea I think so too. it was a tricky spot - if someone behind me had flatted my 4b, that would be a disaster. Didn’t seem likely though, these guys are super nitty and I was basically ignoring everyone else in the hand except UTG.
if UTG folds there’s zero reason to do this i guess
meta-wise I do anticipate playing a lot of poker for not insignificant sums of money with this guy, so even if i played it awful or weird that’s not super bad i guess
Flatting to induce a squeeze is a play know as “second hand low”.
If I understand correctly, UTG minraises to 2bb and gets several callers, the BB makes it 10bb, UTG flats, and you make it something like 20bb. Which doesn’t make sense because you say you have around 60bb left, but you also say you started the hand with around 100bb.
Your back-raise is such a large percentage of your stack that I think jamming is better. Additionally, UTG flatted, which suggests a non-premium, so can squeeze that player out and have some dead money in the pot by jamming.
I also feel like this may be fancy play if you haven’t demonstrated you can take this line with AA.
then I probably had more behind - I don’t have it in front of me. i have the memory of a goldfish. this hand’s been bothering me for a few days and i do like the jam better too
You mentioned a T7o hand and it’s possible he did 5bet with it, but he could have done the same thing, but the stack depths were significantly different or he was against a different player with different tendencies. Or he could have been tilted then and wasn’t in your hand. Or your goldfish memory was wrong.
There’s really an easy method, though, to analyze if your call of his 5bet jam is right. Figure out the stack depths so you can calculate pot odds. Determine a range that you’re break-even against. Decide if he is jamming with a looser or tighter range than that.
That’s the first thing I did and is also why I’m not sure. I easily easily had the pot odds given the range I give him. He says that range is delusional. IDK.
I gave him the tightest one I could too. If I eliminate some % AA/KK, and weight towards small/mid pairs and less powerful hands like KQs, which I’m pretty sure I can, i think it’s easy decision but w/e im a donkey
i guess the Q is - with these stack depths, what can we give a “wide” squeeze range from BB here from a solid rec? I trust that read 100%, he does love to squeeze wide from any position.
What range did you give him? As described, I think his range should come with the assumption that you’re never folding. He’s not jamming with his entire 3bet squeeze range.
3,626,659,872 games 0.000 secs 725,331,974,400 games/sec
Board:
Dead:
equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 57.673% 57.28% 00.39% 2077418808 14188956.00 { 88 }
Hand 1: 42.327% 41.94% 00.39% 1520863152 14188956.00 { 22+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, A2o+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }
I just looked, I was getting better than 3:1 on the call.
That’s what I give his 3b squeeze range. What he 5!'s me with? who fucking knows. like i said he bet instantly.
If Howard has a small pair in the BB, closing the action getting about 12:1 on a call with the best relative flop position on the table vs an UTG raise and is thinking “oh yeah, this is a prime spot to play for stacks pre even though I hold no blockers” as opposed to “flick in a call, get a prime spot to check raise the field the 1 in 8 times or so I flop a set” I don’t know what to say.
it is a bit muddled and tilt-fueled, I’ll admit
finally taught myself to use a solver after getting back into this. I think I’m a believer now, after a few nasty bustouts in my home game from people limping AA against me, I’ve been feeling ranges that have that silliness in them have been surprisingly hard for me to deal with. lo and behold, after going 1-1 in a best of 3 tonight with a more serious hobbyist friend, I plugged some of my ranges into the solver and the solver LOVES limping AA pre against me on SB button when pretty deep stacked. crazy. i still dont know why, but that’s trippy. it’s not even close on here between call and raise. and only AA too, for some reason
oh and p.s. i definitely am able to write scripts for this stuff and if any solver stuff is open source i can probably build my own versions of these tools. I’m kind of excited, I had no idea so much work had been done understanding this fool’s game. when i played seriously we basically only had pokerstove.
I do know that GTO seem to like open limping AA SB vs BB at least some of the time for certain stack depths, but it seems weird if it doesn’t also like limping other premium hands against your ranges.
it likes it for a lot of premium hands but AA the most. I think I made a mistake somewhere. it also seems to want me to mix in some limp/reraises HU at the depths im plugging in, which makes me want to vomit, there’s no other thing in poker i hate more than limp/reraise on button opens, oh my god
also I assume I can’t create new flops because I am using free version.
Why does limp-reraising make you want to vomit?
GTO is all about having balanced lines that are unexploitable. That means that you need to slowplay enough strong hands to protect your passive range. This goes the instincts of many people who learned relentless aggression as an exploitative heuristic that still works against a lot of players.
It’s just fps and annoying. I used to think that about river block bets but now i love those, so whatever.
i did mess something up, but I did still learn something, i need to mix in a lot more limps HU
yea that’s how i played, or i thought, but lots of things I’m seeing in this solver are suggesting that in lots of spots i actually need to get quite a bit looser and more aggressive, while in others i need to be less aggressive and tighter. still seems like overall i need to actually get more aggro, but it’s a lot different kind of aggro than how i typically would have tried to play like 10 or even 5 years ago.
when i was bumhunting hu i did the opposite of what people do now or probably even back then. i’d start out with some super exploitable strategy that worked against idiots, like cbet flop 100% and barrel turn super high frequency, x/r certain board textures 100%, and then adjust after they showed me they werent an idiot. by that point, their adjustment would be poor against my real game plan and I’d usually win several buyins that way if they sat long enough. that’d still work now but only against people that don’t know this stuff, so I stopped playing everything but live cash very occasionally