Poker Hands and Strategy

I don’t have the balls to play it in PLO, but I think four tens in your hand and blocking so many straights is better than four aces and blocking all the nut flushes as the ultimate bluffing hand.

Anyways…

https://twitter.com/padspoker/status/1527127795729502209?s=20&t=8yuk8fsBbC4x2XJe3nEJxA

4 Likes

Live 2/5. 500 effective on the turn.

Hero raises UTG to 15 with A :hearts: K :hearts: . Four callers. There’s no opening size that makes heads-up more likely because a fun player is the first caller and once he calls, others become more inclined to call.

Flop is K :clubs: T :spades: 7 :clubs:. SB donks for 15. Hero calls. Button calls.

Turn is 2: :diamonds: . SB bets 20. Hero raises to 145. Button folds. SB calls.

River is A :clubs:. SB checks. Hero…

I’ve been thinking about player profiles I can value bet against here…mainly if a player donks the flop with a draw, how likely are they to donk the river when they hit.

Why aren’t we raising the flop bigly here? Seems like letting a ton of people behind you draw with a million to one odds is abysmally bad. I’d probably make the turn raise a bit bigger too honestly but it’s w/e. River idk, the two most obvious draws get there and he sure played the previous streets like he had one so I don’t hate checking back here. If he’s just some shitty pay-off wizard then go to town but otherwise I think checking is fine.

4 Likes

Nitty play in multi-way pots is often correct.

I didn’t want to raise-fold, which is what the correct play is against this particular player pool if I raise flop. I also though SB would bet the turn if no one raised him. I thought he had a bet-sizing tell where if he bet small again, that means he was scared and I should raise while if he bet big on the turn, I could probably fold. (This is a read based on having played against him many sessions and not something I would do against some random.)

I don’t like raising because we’re in bad position and I don’t like how I see the hand playing out if I get at least one caller. I think some people play poker with too much fear of draws. They see the game as one where the made hand is supposed to make the draw fold before it gets there.

Just use this as a template for all future posts.

5 Likes

Wsop circuit in town.

It’s 5:50 pm and the 5/5 PLO game is mandatory double straddle already.

This is going to be a very good week!!!

1 Like

2/5 live

Fun table. I limp in MP with K :spades: 8 :spades: because table talk made this a spot to play a wider range.

Flop is A :spades: 7 :diamonds: 5 :spades: I bet 20 into 30. Player to my left makes it 75. Folded to me and I call. Some people like to just jam it in with maximum equity in the flop. I sometimes like to wait until the turn to maximize fold equity using the additional data of how they react to my call and how they act on the turn to decide.

Turn is an offsuit 9. I have a blocker to the nuts. I check. Villain bets 125. I am sure he doesn’t have a straight. I jam for around 440.

Made $800 before heading to hockey game. Feels like a lose in that game. Lol

Man this is going to be a fun week.

absolutely hate it.

hate pre
hate floating oop
hate trying to get someone to fold their limp flop, raise flop, bet turn range

fold pre
maybe call flop, this is the only one that’s close. likely fold
flat turn

What do you think his range is?

well you give zero read, but generally a villain who does that likes their hand and isn’t folding to a shove.

Lol what hand does your line make any sense with? Like what story are you telling?

1 Like

Terrible. Trying to blast someone off their hand when they’re repping strength in a limped multi-way pot is pretty much suicide. If they’ve got 2 pair, they’re not thinking he’s got 68 so I’m gonna fold, they’re thinking if it’s 68 it’s just a cooler and they pay it off. I’d say you get called here a huge percentage of the time. I used to do this with combo draws sometimes, just incinerating money.

1 Like

Not sure why people keep replying to Bruce’s hhs. The whole point of posting them is to get feedback but he clearly doesn’t care at all about the feedback. 100% of his posts get a near uniform response yet he seems to conclude the united response is wrong and the correct play is to just do the exact same thing next time.

It’s just some kind of weird performance art.

2 Likes

And the template for all future replies to NBZ:

2 Likes

On that note have a PLO question.

Game last night was super loose. Like next level. Mandatory double straddle and even some third straddle blind potting. Table is also really deep with average stack in the $3k plus range.

I began playing my weaker aces and kings much less aggressive than I normally would. I genuinely couldn’t decide if I should still be sticking it in with this tiny edge or waiting for much better spots.

Guys were giving it away in so many places. With infinite bullets I’d get it is with shitty aces and kings but felt like it was more plus ev to wait for spots where I was like 80% plus which were not hard to come by.

Too weak?

Depends on the stacks.

If there’s a buyin limit, you could make an argument for gambling w/just a marginal edge to try and get deeper with a couple whales.

In general though, I wouldn’t really love inflating pots with weak AA and KK and would want some other strong components with my hand.

1 Like

Ya. If the game was new and more shallow I would get it in but with a several of us having like $4k it felt weird to get it is when I was so likely to be in with more than one other player so often.

I have the opposite issue as Bruce where I have to fight my urge to be aggressive and anytime I’m playing weak I really feel odd and over question it.

Saw a funny last night too. Known grumpy nit sat down short and didn’t want to double straddle. He is the double or get stacked and leave guy who comes into plo from 1/2 Holdem to take a shot sometimes. Two of the biggest whales who were buddies openly told him they were going to target him with everything to bust him until he left. One ended up busting him after calling all in pre with 239j against nits Kkjj. Normally I don’t like being mean to players at the table but these nits who want to destroy the action at a fun table sort of deserve it.

Also saw a guy last night who only wanted to play with $500 chips. lol. For every bet he used only $500 chips. Bought into the game for $10k. He was really bad.

Plo rules!

Have you considered that’s your super toxic alpha-male rage bubbling through?

2 Likes

Indeed. :grin:

In all honesty I think it’s a bit of a leak sometimes. I do spew too much in some spots. If I was playing for a living I would need to fix it as I’m sure it lowers my win rate overall.

For example, last night I missed a wrap and tried to bluff the loosest guy at the table on the river. He did think about his bottom two call for a while before calling but in hindsight it was just a hopeless bluff.