Poker Hands and Strategy

Because I misread what you wrote.

I’m generally an advocate of sitting to the immediate right of an action player to trap people instead of their left to isolate.

Yesterday, I moved from the BB of the most aggressive button straddler to his right. The new guy coming into the game wanted to buy my seat for lol $5.

I agree the button straddle is bad for the game. My idea is for a straddle allowed anywhere except the button (or blinds) with priority going to worse position.

They skew heavily towards Trumpers, you should feel good.

I started in limit hold em and then early 2000s when NL became big, I read super system and the only thing I got out of that book was to bet pot and always c bet. Anytime I played nl if I started off preflop raiser I was going pot pot all in. If anyone bet smaller then pot I would check raise them, cause I figured they were weak. Amazing to think back on that. When the 2.2 raise and min raise became a thing late in tournaments online. I also thought was just a bunch of dummies and would jam abs 3 bet them a lot.

1 Like

The only thing worse than the button straddle is the Dallas straddle (button has ultimate last action pre flop). UTG straddle or GTFO. Everything else kills pre flop action.

This is so interesting because here it’s the exact opposite. The games with the most button straddling are always the juiciest.

The button straddle causes everyone to limp way more pre. UTG just creates bigger pots without giving the button more power than it already has.

This is PLO, btw. Position is already more important than HE.

Everywhere I’ve seen a button straddle for NLHE, it’s good for the game for a year or two, then starts trending towards being very very bad for the game within another year or two.

I assume it tricks bad players into playing bigger than they ought to and too many fish end up going broke and quitting rather than losing at a rate where they have a replenishable bankroll.

No, people eventually learn to play tighter OOP.

How’s this for speech play?

Standard six-way PLO pot that was 3bet pre. I flop a set on a K97 board. Checked to me with one player behind and I go all-in for maybe 2/3 pot. Folded to the player to my right and he starts talking about how the pot is so big so I have to have something.

I sense he’s wavering and about to fold, so I tell him that he’s right and I am unlikely to be bluffing because my bet isn’t really that big relative to the pot. He immediately says because I said that he’s calling. I win and he said he had top pair, a gutshot, and a backdoor flush draw.

It’s been standard here for like 10 years.

Does action begin in the SB or UTG in your room?

This may be true for NL but not PLO.

Yeah put me in the button straddling is bad for the game camp

Stopped by the Horseshoe in Indy tonight, wasn’t particularly impressed. Just one 2/5 NL game on a Wed, and the list hardly moved. Had to play 1/3 for 2 hours before I was called. The room itself is nice, well lit, comfy seats, although it was freezing! Food wasn’t really good value at the cafe, $9 pre-made salad and $6 hotdog with no condiments besides ketchup/mustard. The 1/3 action was boring limpfest until drunk guy sat down and ran $300 to $1000+ to zero in short order. I finished down a few hundred and then they make you cash out at the main cashier which had a pretty long line, weak.

I’m sure it’s nice for Indy residents, and obviously you can’t expect too much on a Wed night, but I had higher expectations!

I normally avoid NL tournaments but might try a few more this summer.

In looking back, I’m probably most aggressive when I have a medium stack near the bubble that might be just big enough to fold into the money and just small enough for a big stack to want to gamble in an attempt to bust me without taking a big hit to their stack.

How much EV am I lighting on fire by being allergic to min-cashing?

A lot, you literally described the exact situation where you should nit up and get ITM.

This is why I hate NL tournaments. I seem to play the right way for mixed games, but I just don’t enjoy nitting it up on the bubble in hold em. I know that GTO has non-all-in preflop raises for 10-15bb stacks, but I really haven’t studied what those are.

I probably also hate min cashing because of Allen Kessler.

Is this the livesteam thrad

1 Like