Poker Hands and Strategy

Did you mean to say less than 1/2 pot or did you not see how I said less than?

the first one, was usually close to half though. Played a lot of 200bb buy in games

1 Like

It was bc ppl were very very value heavy and it was about bloating pots.

Cbetting 1/3 or 1/4 in 3b pots was common around 2010 once everyone figured out you could installment plan ppl All in by the river if you wanted to keep going with the hand.

1 Like

Yeah fair enough. I stopped playing in 2008 and then when I’d watch HSP and PAD after that, people were still very reluctant to bet under half pot on TV. Maybe similar to being reluctant to fold a KJo on TV that they’d otherwise fold, though

Then I started playing live in like 2018, never online, and the smaller cbets were still very rare even at 5/10, but seem to gradually be sprinkled in more and more. Maybe from Doug Polk videos and that kind of thing

Yea Doug definitely ushered in a lot of that stuff. I think before the small flop bets was the insanity of checking back the flop with top pair!

Remember Samoleus from online back in the day? Man that guy was ahead of the times

1 Like

I checked back top pair a lot to set up delayed c-bets.

I mean sometimes I feel kinda bad, mostly friendly people but just clicking random buttons. Which I guess sometimes works when you’ve got a whole bunch of button clickers at the table and every pot is 5 way. But the strat talk is wild.

You were a revolutionary!

1 Like

You definitely want to sit to the left of 2 people who don’t button straddle if possible. One of the reasons button straddles are bad for the game is that it has a significant impact on the EV of the blinds by making them act first preflop.

My instinct is to do the opposite.

Most of the games I’ve played you can button straddle but most people don’t do it anyway. But yeah if you’re in the BB of a button straddler, you want to gtfo of that seat.

Here 70% of hands are button straddled.

I’m at a table where about 1/3 are.

It’s pretty loose passive in FL, 70% button straddles would usually mean it’s a game with a lot of good or at least semi competent 2/5 regs trying to turn it into a 5/10 game (or 10/20 game). The 5/10 is usually heavily straddled though

Interesting. Here only the true hardcore nits don’t straddle. Straddling is considered a normal part of the game, especially in my 2/5/5 plo game.

Ahh yea, I’m talking NL games, I’ve got no idea what goes on in the PLO games, I’m sure there’s much more straddling

Our 1/3 no games are 50%+ straddled too.

Interesting. Usually when I’ve played 1/2 NL it’s a no straddling, no raising limp fest

Alberta has notoriously loose games. By far the most gamble I’ve seen having played all over North America. It’s awesome.

1 Like

Why would you prefer to change having the best position preflop into the worst position?