Poker Hands and Strategy

I just started a tournament on Ignition in the SB but the button paid my blind. This site is so fucked up.

Early in a $300 tournament. Blinds are 100/200/200. Effective stacks are about 20k.

Five way limped pot. I have 6 :spades: 5 :spades: OTB.

Flop is 963 with two spades, giving me middle pair with a flush draw. Sticky, tricky LAG leads out for 400 in the SB. Middle-aged woman who hasn’t done anything worth noting raises to 1200 UTG.

I can make a case for all three options. What’s your plan for the hand?

Fold pre

1 Like

I think you can safely cold 3bet here to 3600. You shouldn’t get 4bet by bottom set, and that is far more likely than middle or top set given the preflop action and your 6 blocker. You also fold out one pair hands a decent % of the time. If a brick rolls on the turn, you will probably get checked to, and you can take a free card.

2 Likes

Hopefully the third one is immediately resign from the tournament over fold.

5/10 NL

I raise to 40 in the CO with 45ss, button calls, bb calls.

Flop: Qc 3c 6h I bet 65, button (not very good player) calls

Turn: Kh, I check, button bets 125, I call.

River: Qh, button bets 300, I ship for 1100

I don’t see what a ship does that 750 doesnt

Throw in a smirk if you think it’ll help

why no simple double then triple barrel here? it’s a big risk to check that turn with no showdown value. Let them put you on AK.

It’s fine if your read is villains people’s point of pain is getting jammed on.

This was kind of a dumb hand, I normally bet the turn there, not sure why I didn’t, and was basically gonna give up on the river, but I think he checks back his Q’s on the turn (besides QK) and checks back his K hands when the Queen river hits, so I just couldn’t put him on a hand so I made the move. He ended up calling with 5h7h. Probably a bit too much fancy play syndrome on my part! :grimacing: (and booze)

But yeah Effen, I agree the smaller sizing would accomplish the same thing there when his range is pretty polarized

If you were the villain what hands are you playing this way and then sigh folding the river to a raise that’s less than a PSB. (They have to call 800 more to win a pot of 1900)

Basically air :joy:

My drunk read thought he was folding a king, and I really did not think he had a queen, so in my mind it was only boats and backdoor flushes that were calling. But this was mostly a 3am drinking too much hand. It was good for the metagame though!

1 Like

I thought you put him on better air or like 88.

As a general rule when a non-obvious board change card hits and someones betting pattern changes (125 turn to 300 river is a fair amount larger) they have it

I did put him on lots of better air! That’s why the 1100 was overkill. I don’t think he was the type to turn 88 into a bluff though

I agree about the sizing up too, that usually is a big hand

Raise if you think UTG can fold Aces now or on the turn to a big committing bet (raise to 3.5k and turn bet of 7.5k)

(it’s a likely hand limping UTG and a big part of the raise range given the cards you hold.

Fold if you think she can’t and a third party is involved. The risk of double domination is way too high, and 3 handed will be harder to shake the NFD vs heads up.

I would basically never call here.

I called because I felt UTG would four-bet if I reraised and the initial bettor seemed unhappy enough that I thought there was a decent chance he would fold. (He tank called.) I also thought there were some interesting straightening turn cards which would give me semibluff opportunities.

She bet big on a blank turn and I ended up folding.

Fold preflop. After calling pre, fold flop. Also, small suited connectors are way overrated in NL.

I thinking limping on the button is fine in the early stages of a tournament. I like a table that starts out with a lot of limpfests while stacks are deep.

Yeah, calling pre isn’t bad, imo - nothing really is there. I just think folks don’t quite realize just how well things need to go your way to win a big pot with something like 65ss compared to the times that it costs you. I think the fold on the flop is what’s theoretically earning money for you in the grand scheme of things when most others wouldn’t.