Poker Hands and Strategy

Yeah got to be aware of those straddles.

I only played 1/2 in NOLA because it was 1/2/5 with the straddle being on the button and the max buy in at the largest stake at the table. That game was huge and drunks were everywhere. The regs thought they were so good though when they were utterly awful.

Sounds like a great game to me!

I actually just played in New Orleans recently, they only run 1/3 now, and you do not want to be at the tables that aren’t straddling because those are nitfests.

Gotcha, thanks. I’m from Chicago so next I’m there I might have to swing down and check it out. Although I was expecting a few more tables running!

I’m getting completely run over on Ignition and am back to playing against the number generator. In this hand UTG opens to 3x, I flat with QQ because I suspect that the algorithm has decided it’s time to felt me, SB 3-bets to $7, UTG calls, I fold.

I’m either clairvoyant or this site is rigged af. I’m putting my $$ on rigged.

Can you play live?

Yes, but have been avoiding it during the pandemic. Ready to go back soon, but not boosted yet. Last time I played live was 2/28/2020, but in 2019 i won 30 BB/hr by managing to extract max value on what seemed like every hand I played. Also zero losing sessions for the year, which has always bothered me.

Yea I hadn’t played since Feb 2020. I’m boosted then got omicron in January so I’m taking advantage now.

My room runs a high hand promo with $400 every half hour, $200 for second and most of the players are there to hit it. I made a bunch of $ pounding on limpers at $1/3 spread and had to add 4-bet bluffs to my $0.25/.50 online game to combat all the 3-bet bluffs I was facing. What adjustments have you made for live versus online?

I’ve played live regularly for ~15 years. Way more live than online. Live PLO in these crazy Texas games is just playing ABC, snug poker and getting fat value. Oklahoma games much tougher. Live poker seems to be booming right now in FL, TX, etc.

Confirmed FL PLO also very good. My 2/5 NL table broke so I hopped in the 5/5, which was 5/5/20/40, dude didn’t table his hand in a 4K side pot that he would have split lol

I shipped QQxx pre for a thousand and got called by 10 77 6. I probably shoulda rebought but I’m a variance nit

Looks like I will be able to scratch playing in a WSOP tourney off my bucket list in June. I’m going to Vegas to bowl in the USBC Open Championships, but my schedule will allow me to play in either the $1,500 Omaha 8/b tourney or the $1,500 seven card stud tourney.

A friend is offering to stake me either a large part or all of my entry fee. I will wear his merch during the tourney. Since I’m just a recreational player, I really have no clue about staking arrangements. What would be a fair and common arrangement for a situation like this?

Also I’d be interested in hearing suggestions on which of the two tourneys I should play. I’m not super experienced at either, but probably more experienced at omaha than stud. The field for Omaha is likely going to be bigger too.

And I’d be interested in any do’s and don’ts when it comes to the whole experience.

1 Like

If you’re more experienced in O8, you should just pick that. I’m hoping my schedule works out so I can do that one. For O8, you can be given a simple strategy where you mostly just play your cards. You wouldn’t have to worry about things like remembering folded upcards.

I’m used to seeing one-off staking arrangements involving buying x% of a player and getting x% of the cash, sometimes modified by markup. If you were to sell at 1.2 markup, I supposed you’d get 1/6 of any cash for a 100% stake. It amounts to your friend basically paying you $250 for wearing his merch and living vicariously through you.

Think you got positions screwed up

If you’re all mostly doing this for fun and you’re going to promote his business, I think you getting 25% of the profits would be fair for a full stake. Or he could buy like 50% of your action in which case a reasonable markup would be anything between 1 and 1.2. So if you want to be friendly and laid-back, can do 50% of entry for 50% of winnings. But charging a bit extra for your time and for wearing his shit is totally fine too.

Your right. Sorry. Going back through my notes. I’ll delete and update.

Thanks. Yeah, I’ve been thinking about it, and I think 75% of winnings for 100% of buy-in makes sense. And there would be slight variations if he wants to put up less than the full buy-in.

In the rare event that I cash, and for enough to owe taxes, how does it work with the staker then? Does he go with me to get paid, and get his money (and his tax burden) at that time? And what’s the threshhold for taxes on a $1,500 tourney?

Can I buy my entry ticket the day before? And the structure sheet I see indicates no break longer than 15 minutes for 11 hours of play on day one. Do people commonly pack a lunch or do they scramble for food at the venue during breaks?

Some guy just threatened to beat my ass and told me I was “bad at math” for not thinking I got “so so lucky” to chop a pot with 9 to A wrap and NFD + BDFD on 3JK flop. He was forced to leave.

Live poker is back.

1 Like

The only thing worse than getting 2 outed in a $4,000 pot is getting 2 outed in a $4,000 pot and having to drive 3 hours home

2 Likes

Played live tonight (on a work trip) for the first time since COVID! Won $800 in the 80 at bay 101, played 4 hands of consequence, nonsuper interesting, but I"m sharing because it was so nice to be back playing live.

Hand 1
UTG limps, MP limps, I raise on the button with QQ, SB calls, BB 3 bets, UTG and MP call, I cap, all call.

Flop Q J 4 rainbow
SB leads, BB calls, UTG and MP fold, I raise, SB 3bets, BB folds, I call

Turn T
SB bets, I raise, he calls.

River 3
SB check-calls me with AA.

Hand 2
MP1 and MP2 limp, I raise on the button with A7s, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 3bets(!) everyone calls.

Flop is T 6 2 with one of my suit
Checked to MP2 who bets, I call(?), others fold.

Turn A
MP2 bets I call

River 8
MP2 bets I call and win against KK.

Hand 3
6 handed now, CO opens, I 3b ATs, everyone clears.

Flip AJ8r, CO check-calls me.

Turn 4, CO check-raises, I call.

River 3, CO bets, I call and lose to J8

Hand 4
Early limper, I raise on the button with KTo, blinds clear out.

Flop K79
Limper check-calls

Turn 3
Limper check-raises, I call

River J
Limper bets (I consider folding, but not too hard) I call and lose to 77.

1 Like

I have a friend who is whining about his bust-out hand in a circuit event. He described JTo as a “weird hand” for his opponent to open with on the button when he is the big blind and has 4bb behind and the sb has a huge stack.

Would have considered having dinner with him, but I don’t want to listen to him try to justify his play.