Poker Hands and Strategy

ICMizer is very good for sngs and FT decisions.

1 Like

Probably a call if SB is any good / not overly tight. (i.e. if he’s shoving a lot of Ax and Broadway hands here)

Is there a BBV thread because I ate shit in every ridiculous fashion imaginable this weekend.

1 Like

This post went through my mind before I clicked the call button after being check raised. He had it.

That feeling when you take down a $40K after a 2 hour heads up battle with an abc nit who whens 4 flips at the brink of death.

14 Likes

Oh shit that was you? Congrats, I half-assedly watched the end of that. Also, your screen name is great.

2 Likes

Big ups man as I only went back to ACR after reading your posts. The fields are definitely softer since they’ve revamped everything.

I was a legendary tourny fish on there years ago so I can overfold for days.

Just got approved for an mj card today too so I can walk in and out and NOT WORRY ABOUT FUCKING POPO PENELOPE. AMERICA #1 MOFOS.

1 Like

Haha, glad someone is winning. I’ve really been on a brutal run for three days so I think I’m gonna mix in some live events at this local series that starts tomorrow (well, I guess in about nine hours, actually). But I don’t want to miss too much of the OSS.

Also I live in Colorado so that second part is never a problem.

1 Like

Nice score!

Two things.

(1) I’ve been married to Mrs Cooler for a long time. She obviously knows I play poker, enjoy poker, and am a smallish lifetime winner. I was taking some notes from a live session earlier. She noticed that it wasn’t work-related and asked what I was doing, so I explained. She incredulously asks “What? Why? I thought it was just all luck what you like to do?” Art was certainly imitating life in that moment. Love the woman, but I feel like my whole life is a lie.

(2) Moving on. Maybe the hand isn’t worth posting but since I was called out I’ll post it.

At the table for about 20 minutes. 1/2 NL. Bought in for $500, have about near that.

3 callers to me on the button with black kings

Raise to $15

UTG (Villain) 400ish stack calls. Only thing to note was that it was before noon and he was on his 2nd beer of the day I saw him order.

UTG+1 calls

Flop: 5sJh5c ($42)

Check, check
I bet $25
UTG quickly calls
UTG+1 folds

Turn: 10h ($92)

Check
I bet $60
Sloppy call of all red

River: 8c

Quick bet of $50
Hero: ?

I’m not folding against morning drinking man getting 3:1.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m calling here.

Folding is silly, and raising could open up a difficult decision against an opponent that you don’t seem to know.

100% call - also raise more pre with 3 limpers.

2 Likes

Never fold. If I had to pin villain on one hand, I think you could value raise here since he’s far more likely behind than ahead of you with that blocking bet, but that may open up future action you’re not happy about if we’re wrong.

Thanks.

Yeah, I was never thinking fold. One thing I’ve been trying to do more of is getting the most I can out of hands, which maybe isn’t the best mindset all the time, but I feel like I’ve been missing lots of value in too many spots.

I’d consider making a small raise, maybe even a min-raise. I suppose there’s a chance he has quads. I wouldn’t be shocked at J8. If he hasn’t played much and I don’t have a read, I’d be more inclined to call and force him to show down his hand so I can profile him.

Raise

How do you feel when you find yourself in a loose-passive NL game where they will flat on the river with the aecond-nut flush when you bet the nut flush and bet/call if you go for a check/raise?

not exactly an answer to nbz q, but constantly checking other tables (assuming there are multiple tables at your card room) and always being on a table change list is super important. If you moved and the table suck ask to get back on the list. Tip your floor personal so your annoying requests aren’t met with annoyed faces.

It’s an actual important skill when you play regularly at a specific poker room.

1 Like

So, you’re saying you think a table like that sucks?

absolutely not, i’m saying i’m not answering your q whatsoever and just using it to give some general advice i think is actually helpful (or at least was helpful to me)