Poker Hands and Strategy

were you a2?

A2 steaksauce? I was not.

Regular table

If this is iggy/bov there is a world of difference of skill level between the speed .50 and the .50 reg tables. If it’s a reg table and you’re running a Hud that’s showing something worth exploitable over a sample size that isn’t some redic small sample size than yes, you can get in there with all kinds of shit regardless of the high rake. If it’s a fast fold or just no info, fold up to t9, imo.

Tbf I’m using a preflop chart derived from a solver, not actually looking at the solution itself but yeah 53s is a pure defend. 52s is a pure fold unless you’re against a loose player, then it calls it half the time.

1 Like

I forgot about this but if you’re ever curious about preflop spots you can make an account on gtowizard.com and they have all their preflop solutions available for free. They have ones for 500NL rake and 50NL rake. I checked the 50NL solution and it likes 3b 25%, call 75% for 76s.

4 Likes

5-5-10 PLO

V was mentioned in a previous hand I posted, rich whale woman who is very very LAG but is more cautious when I start raising because she knows that I generally have good shit and she doesn’t like to just hand money to nits.

Today, she is in about 15k and going absolutely nuts, with about 90% pfr. She’s been showing a lot of bluffs and calling people pussies with no balls. Lately she’s been getting hit by the deck and getting folds, so she’s back up to 10k. She’s also been drinking a lot but can handle her booze and is wearing a shirt that says “I’m American until Texas secedes”.

On this hand, she is the button and there is (very atypically) no straddle for some reason. I think that pissed her off because she announced that she’s potting dark before the cards were out.

There’s one limp, I have 4k and limp CO with AdQcJd9h, she pots to 50, BB calls, limper calls, I pot to 260, she repots to 900 and accidentally flashes me the Kc, they fold, I call.

I limp-reraise her regularly, and getting 4bet is very rare and typically aces or other good shit. She is going extra fucking ham today though so I really don’t know what her range is.

Flop: As 7s 3c (Pot 1900)

I check, she pots.

What you think?

2 hands from the Bovada Milly (which you can still get in with 35bbs) against the same villian, who is playing 30/20/3 with 70%CB over ~80 hands. I have nitty stats.

Hand 1 go bigger on the river or just check it. This is usually a good bluff spot tho. Check raise flop is also ok against the small cbet.

Hand 2 I probably lead turn. You can sometimes lead your whole range ott when they check back the flop and the turn card misses their range and/or you turn showdown value that doesn’t want to bet.

2 Likes

This is a pure brag post but I had the biggest heater of my life this weekend.

Won $1150 at 0/5 live at the Peppermill Friday night. Was playing better and realized I was being too fearful after posting some hands here on UP a couple of weeks ago. Went back on Saturday and chopped their weekly $235 tournament heads-up for $3500. Tonight I late-regged the monthly milly and cashed, made $1000 in an $82 tournament, and won a $16.50 tournament for $2200. Up over $7500 in 3 days, was up less than 5k this year prior to this.

17 Likes

I have to go broke here right?

2k effective, 2/5 nl, I raise to 20 in EP with 77, get 5 callers. Flop 3h 6h 7d. Bet 70 on the flop, 3 callers, BB pops it to 425. Its never a bluff, basically only 33 66 and 45.

hand 1 type stuff happens to me all the time lol.

hand 2 i agree with leading turn. as played i like the river c/r vs. a decent player, he’s obviously not that strong and you could plausibly have 3x +

1 Like

Now we need a pure variance post to complete the trifecta

1 Like

I got you covered!

There is a bit of a brag though-- made two final tables tonight, 5th in the ACR $16.50 25k but shipped the $6.60 5k PKO. The variance comes in how I won the PKO-- not to sell myself short on doing a good job chipping up, but here are the key hands:

Opened AA on a 20BB stack from the CO into a BB who covered and had been pretty aggressive (and sucked out twice on me at the final two tables with 66 > AA and AJ > AK). He shoved on me (as he had already done once in this spot); I called ofc, he had AQs, I held. (Actually AQx flop lol)

Once it got down to six it pretty much went like this:

Same guy is short now and shoves 9BB or so from CO, next to act reshoves for 14BB, I’m in BB with AA and call. They have A5s and A8s; I hold and bust both.

Four-handed now and I’m chip leader. Super short stack shoves for like 2.9BB first in. I minraise KK (half isolate, half “hey if you folks behind want to build a pot with me that’s fine too”. BB calls, ships his last 13BB in on a 944 flop with Q9. I hold and bust both (super short stack had Kx, I already forget).

So I get to heads up with over a 4:1 chip lead, and after a little back and forth, villain minraises button (on like 19BB or so), I have AA and flat to trap. Flop is 952 with two hearts (I have Ah). Check, he bets, I check-raise, he shoves and I call. He has 9s7s. Turn is the 7h. River is a fourth heart.

Winning tournaments is pretty easy when people rush to get their stacks in when you have AA/KK (and you hold)

3 Likes

I remember 15 years ago at Turning Stone being in this spot against an old guy and I folded (I think he had shoved tho, but not this deep). Everyone on 2p2 yelled at me. They were probably right. I was just sure this guy was so tight I didn’t even think he’d play second set that fast.

Which in terms of strategy is to say, I don’t know.

That’s a god damn brag!

Variance: Afterwards the only food left in my hotel fridge was some bulgogi, which I was ready to murder, but I totally forgot I had no fork or any silverware. So I had to shovel it over the edge of the styrofoam container with a coffee stirrer into my throathole. A+

7 Likes

Thread saved

1 Like

Damn, for the PLO one it seems pretty live read dependent. At least in NL there are some drunk players who are good at splashing around pre and on the flop and showing some bluffs in some good spots, trying to set themselves up for a big spot when the deep stacks go in and they get called down super light. There are others who are literally just spewing and dgaf. Sometimes it depends on exactly how far along they are, like at 10pm vs 5am. If I think she’s more of the first type then I prob fold. If I think she’s the second type then I get it in I guess.

What’d you do?!

I was conflicted, because she was spewing as hard as I’d ever seen her and this was around 5am but HU flops in this game are extremely rare, even in 4b pots and I have 0 experience with her in them. She will actually make folds against me and doesn’t 4b me really light. She was going extra hard though so I really didn’t know what to do. Also, I saw that Kc and she could totally have KK pre, but I don’t think she would just rip an A-high flop vs me unless she had an A or fd to go with them.

I ended up folding and she showed an A, so I was behind and she def could have had AA too. It was a weird spot that was out of my range of experience though, I really did not expect to get 4b.

Yeah the 4bet pre seems like a red flag AND continuing on the A high board. Good fold.

And if it’s 5am at TCH it means she’s had 3 hours to sober up lol