Poker Hands and Strategy

Of course you do.

explain that call hand instead of raise or fold and the “solver work” that makes it happen please. Thanks in advance.

Raise or fold generally applies to the SB rather than the BB, and more commonly refers to HU situations (you’re often doing it to price out the BB).

I thought NBZ didn’t use solvers b/c he has a unique style/table image that no solver could ever hope to comprehend.

2 Likes

lmao wat?

I’m spending some time working through Modern Poker Theory by Michael Acevedo and that’s the sense I get.

For BB vs LJ open at 60bb, he has 3bet 7.4% and call 56.5%. I am not sure how this changes with a caller OTB, but I would guess some 3bets become calls and some calls become fold.

He has button calling 15.6% and 3betting 8.6%, so button isn’t raise or fold vs a LP raise either.

Most solver stuff is absolute snake oil aimed at bad regs.

In a tournament? or cash games? What are the blinds when he recommends these figures? in other words…wat?

Solver stuff isn’t as valuable for me because I prioritize multiway pots which might be too complex for solvers (I think solvers generally recommend fit-or-fold nut peddling), but I feel like I have an ok understanding of the direction solvers point in.

1 Like

I just said 60bb.

60bb in a tournament is different than rebuying in a cash game also. You know this.

What made you laugh your ass and what didn’t you understand?

I laughed because I didn’t understand anything. Carry on bros! I’ll really not comment on poker again and just watch from the sidelines. Thanks for the commentary though all of you! I really don’t know a thing about what I’ve talked about.

Why?

Because I’m bad at poker. Y’all are the real pros. I don’t know what Im even talkin about. I’ll stick to dog memes.

I’m citing stuff from a chapter on MTTs.

Post the photo of that chart or algorithm. thanks in advance.

1 Like

Does that count for the fact there was a caller in the middle? I thought there was. Does that change things?

I said I’m not sure what the effect of a caller in the middle is, but I suspect the result is to call less and 3bet less than you would if there was no one else. I was guessing that the theoretical BB defense provides an upper bound for how much you defend with a caller in the middle because you’re generally supposed to play fewer hands against a raise and a call than against a single raise.

I think that’s a mistake a lot of players make, calling too much in the BB in a multiway pot because of “pot odds”. One thing that contributes to my tight image is that I conspicuously make preflop folds in the blinds in limped and single-raised pots when several players are already in.