Poker Hands and Strategy

Think I’d be doing something like 65% b, 25% A and 10% option C.
Never ripping.

I lean toward 1, but I tend to be comfortable playing OOP. Also, I suck at NL. I think you should be more willing to play it passively against a player who gives off physical or bet sizing tells.

Decent chance this player has a three-bet profile similar to that of a tight-passive player, so maybe play it the same way you would against that kind of player.

Std should be call unless he’s competent (probably call anyway)

That would be my default in a cash game or where I’ll be re-buying if I bust.
I personally lean towards the 4b but the tricky bit is to range the 5b shove. The key is
1.does his value 5b range consist of anything but KK+ and AK.
2. Does he have a 5b bluff range?

That would be my default in a cash game or where I’ll be re-buying if I bust.
I personally lean towards the 4b but the tricky bit is to range the 5b shove. The part I’m struggling with is if his value 5b range consist of anything but KK+ and AK and if he has a 5b bluff range.

It should be your std here too if you’re looking for the “right” way to play it (i asked my sick regs friends for you)

Ok. So basically they are treating it as a cash game as it’s deep stacked and we are far from the money? Makes sense actually.

QQ is pretty much a pure 4b/gii here in a cash game, at least against competent opponents. In a donkament I have no idea. I would guess you can probably 4b/fold against most villains because they’re only jamming KK+ and AK and they aren’t going to exploit you with 5b bluffs very often if ever.

Not sure why you would flat it in cash game necessarily. I might, but way less frequently than such early stage of a live mtt

The type of game and stakes would make a difference. I generally play your friendly 1-3/2-5 games where even people who open wide have pretty snug 3-bet ranges.
My bigger game experience is limited to the Bellagio 5/10 where ppl do 3-bet a lot lighter in position and there id also be 4-betting almost always.

I’d call and.play poker practically always. I’d only suggest 4b/call off if you felt overwhelmed at deepstack poker or something. cEV is negligible in terms of justifying a bad outcome, idk why you would given your villain description.

Even if you play it super weakly this hand at this level doesn’t make or break you unless you break yourself. JMO.

1 Like

Seems unlikely to have much of a 5bet bluff range because he seems like the sort to not have much of a 3bet bluff range. He sounds like an action guy who wants to see a flop and bink something. The question is whether he can overrate some value hands.

I think preflop in early stages of an mtt is somewhat similar to that IQ bell curve meme where top wizards and regular donks have similar approaches (to a very specific extent) while average regs get into unnecessary complicated spots

1 Like

Yeah with these stack sizes and being early in the tourney its very similar to just online cash, where this spot is super common and 4bet/gii is completely standard and just probably best. Also tourney players will probably over call the 4bet, so you have extra value there that makes up for maybe a narrower initial 3bet range and 5bet bluff range.

I’ll say that flatting is fine though. I vaguely remember solver outputs showing a lot more flatting with high pairs (as in no ace blockers) than I otherwise would have thought.

Pretty sure 4bet/fold and straight jamming are just really bad though.

I think this is probably my biggest leak in deep stacked tournaments. (I mean obviously that’s why one posts hands when one knows they butchered them)
So I did infect 4b to 11k and then the btn did infect shove on me and then I sigh folded since I didn’t think we was going to 5-bet bluff there.

Hand one: think about how you’re doing if you are up against a straight and another boat draw. Are you closing out the action? What are the chances someone raises behind you?

Hand two: Is there a chance your two pair are best? If you stick it in, how many callers will you get?

Seems wide from UTG nine handed. You should only be opening 8%ish from that position, so already you have KK+ a lot when you open. Don’t think QQ works as a value 4b/gii against a competent opponent given that.

Oh, in my mind I read it as CO vs BU. Nm then, I’ve never really played 9 handed cash so idk wtf to do there.

I laughed:

I have 33 in SB in .1/.25. HJ raises to .75, button calls, I call. BB calls.

Flop Tc32

Checks around. Turn Jc

I check, SB bets 2.14, HJ raises to 6.74, button raises to 11.34, I shove for 25.

Other two guys fold, I’m thinking this is for sure TT or 22, maybe TJ. Its AJo