Poker Hands and Strategy

I say move down to the lowest limit and do a lot of studying if you want to be a winning player. I signed up for coaching, and it has helped me a lot.

On this hand, the button is supposed to be opening wide, and you are supposed to be 3-betting wide. The result is fairly similar ranges, with you having most of the overpairs. I think the solvers would have you betting AK with a diamond, but checking without it. The reason is that without a range advantage, betting is giving him money.

He doesn’t have a lot of junk on this flop, because he folded out or possibly 4-bet most of his junky hands. His bluff raises are going to be Axdd, KQ, K9s, Q9s, 98s, 87dd, and he has a lot of strong value hands to go along with the bluffs. He would probably be calling with non-diamond one-pair type hands (which are all beating your hand). So I think the best course of action is check/call a 1/2 pot bet. If it’s a bigger bet, I’m probably folding, but I’m not very good.

1 Like

Out of position 3-bets should also be sized up compared to say a button 3-bet, so pot+1x the raise or so. In this case, we have a great top pair hand, so making it like 120 gives us a good SPR to check/jam a good flop.

3 Likes

Ya I think $120 is probably better than what I suggested in a game where 6x opening is the the norm too.

1 Like

This is my last hand in Vegas, 5/10 bellagio, villain makes it 80, I make it 280 from SB with QQ. Villain calls. Flop top set. I bet 300 flop. Villain calls. Turn brick. I go all in. Villain snaps. River ace. I just know he has it without showing.

Chips in the middle look small cuz there a yellow

Sucks for sure but I always think true coolers are the least annoying thing in poker. It all comes out in the wash in the end.

They do in cash, they almost never do in mtts unless you truly are a sick grinder and even then probably not. Thats probably the worst thing about mtts (obv his bad run was in cash, but the wsop reminded me how awful mtts are)

True. They are brutal in mtts especially at something like the wsop.

You’re right, but it’s literally on the tail end of the worst Vegas trip ever, so it’s really a perfect finish. Stuck over 10k plus all the expenses. Fml

2 Likes

Ya that sucks bad. Sometimes poker is so brutal.

Lol ouchaments

Rate this bluff:

5/10/20 NL

I’m straddle with 6d 7s

Utg raises to 60, 3 callers, i complete, 5 to the flop

Ac 8c 5d flop, checks around

Turn: 3c Utg bets 150, I call

River 5c, utg bets 300, I jam for 1400

Seems odd. What are you repping? Eights full? A flush bets the turn no?

What’s calling here?

Why can’t utg have like kk with the kc?

I hate preflop, I hate c/c the turn vs betting. I hate going for a c/r for your bluff here on the river instead of the turn.

There’s no way you are playing 67o OOP profitably here preflop. I’d much rather lead turn or c/r turn instead of c/r the river. You’re giving him the chance to check behind KK-99, weak aces, and etc.

I had a pretty tight image, hadn’t shown down any bluffs, I was trying to get him off every mid club, and I thought he could possibly even fold Kc in that spot. But yea you guys are right, pretty terribly played hand. He snapped with aces full lol. Deservingly so.

1 Like

He played top set poorl. People are way too obsessed with slow playing. It worked this time but is normally the worse choice over just betting for value. People want to call.

Next time you’re on the turn with this in mind, fold, and just bet the 1700 over the next orbit over multiple hands and ideally with shown bluffs. In rough spots for your villains. I’d imagine it’s close to neutral EV and if you’re tight you’ll probably pick up a lot of weak money while making an image for yourself as opposed to a one off spaz.

$1500 monster stack (starting stack 50k)
Level 4 300/600/600
Hero 59k raises utg QQ to 1500
V(button) is the big stack with 120k.
He’s hasn’t been 3/4 betting really though he is playing loose and calling a lot IP since his stack got big.
V 3-bets to 4k.
Folds to hero
Hero:

1. Call and play poker oop – seems ok but passive and don’t really like playing this situation oop in a freezeout tournament.
  2. 4b to 11k and call off a 5b – this loses more when we are behind and allows them to get away from hands we dominate.
  3. 4b and fold to a 5b shove. – super exploitable if V picks on the fact that we can fold here. That said it’s live and we have no history.
  4. 4b all in – might be +ev but surely we can do better than shove almost 100bb here.