Poker Hands and Strategy

That’s an all in on the flop, I was the one who reraised pre, I flop that, money goes flying in, runner runner boat wins. Sorry I didn’t show stack sizes, it was a 3k+ plus pot. The guy with KK of course has me covered so no side pot for me vs 22

I have had literally the grossest run in Vegas I want to puke

1 Like

Sorry for the rants, I’m just losing my mind here

2 Likes

First WPT trip for me was similar, but I was able to grind it back.

Was down like $6k first two days, worst being losing K678hhdd on K89hh to KJJ5 baduigi for $5k.

Keep your head up

I’ve been really good about staying optimistic despite being shit on every day for the last week, today finally broke me I think

I suppose I should post an actual hand here instead of just whining. Venetian 5/10. Hero has 3k, villain 2k. Young Asian guy, haven’t seen him get out of line. Table is pretty juicy. Shorter stack raises to 40 in EP, Hero calls 40 w/ KsJs in mid position, villain pops it to 140 on the button. EP calls, hero calls, 3 to the flop. 10s 7s 7d. Checks around.
Turn: 9s Hero bets 260, villain calls.
River: 8h Hero bets 650, villain thinks a bit and ships. 1,000 more to call. I’ve already put in 1,000 out of Villain’s 2,000 stack. Hero?

I’m not a fan of the river bet when you’re holding the k-high flush on a paired board, unless the plan is to bet small enough so it’s OK to fold to a raise.

Consequently, I like bet-fold or check-[decide] much better than bet-call.

If he’s not getting ool he’s got AsQs, TT and maybe 99/88/77 for combos that beat you. But still, what bluffs does he have here? I guess he could have AsAx/AsKx/AsQx maybe but that seems optimistic. And is he jamming QJs for value here? I probably just fold here (in theory anyway, in reality I just call and lose).

I mean checking river feels so weak, no? We’re just gonna let a possible straight or weird lower flush off the hook?

I do regret the sizing though, it was a bit too big I think

Yea there weren’t too many bluff combos I could come up with, but I did question my read because it had only been 2 hours, like is it possible he could jam with a lower flush thinking I had a straight?! Against a few other people at the table I’d snap call in that spot

Anyway I folded, he didn’t show

I mean, it’s possible but how many lower flushes does he even have there with the K, J, T, 9 and 7 all out of the deck? Is he popping 65s and 54s there? I dunno, I think you made a good fold, and I agree that maybe your sizing was a bit too big on the river but I think you played it fine for the most part.

How bout this one: Venetian 5/10, 2k effective stacks. I button straddle, get 2 5 offsuit. A bunch of limpers, I check back the straddle. 6 to the flop. Flop 10c 9c 2s. Checks around. Turn: 5s, checked to me, I bet 80, the SB (middle aged Asian guy, he seems decent and aggressive) pops it to 330.

This is the second hand we’ve played, I double barreled on a 4 6 9 Q board with KJ, was hoping to fire a 3rd, but river was a Q so I check folded, he showed 78s. I feel like he’s definitely capable of making a play, I was also kinda surprised to see him blowing up a limped pot.

Anyway I call the 330. River is Ks, he bets 700. Hero?

Maybe the players i play with aren’t as capable but i fold turn everytime and don’t think twice about it. I guess this is bad advice for 5/10

On the river most of the hands you called with are suppose to get there, so a bluff would be pretty bad. But that doesn’t mean much either

I’m repping really weak here, like mostly just some sort of 9x, so seems like a decent spot for a more aggro player to push me off a hand, which 5/10 players will certainly do

I will say I basically never have JQ here and I think villain knows that. I definitely have lots of spades in my range though

I agree except i don’t know how many actually do in a multiway limped pot. I have no way to prove it but i would guess that their range is skewed way too much towards value and massive combo draws (that should hit that river)

My read was to discount JcQc and JsQs because I think he tries to raise JQs pre quite often and pick up the pot from the limpers. JQo is a bit more likely I think. But yeah, I was putting him on some sort of combo club draw or spade draw

I decided to start playing a little poker again after basically not playing for several years. I could use some advice because I feel real rusty and unsure of what to do in some marginal situations that I probably should know how to play. Was playing 2-5, 9 handed. I start the hand in the SB with about $450 get dealt black AKo. I’ve been playing an hour and my image is probably on the weak right side since I’ve bet-folded in 3 pots where i got squeezed. UTG+1 limps (he’s terrible, loose has rebought several times since I sat down and is basically the guy that’s feeding the action), hikjack limps, button makes it $30 (he’s been running over the table on a heater, other than being too loose preflop, he seems to be smart and aggressive post flop, mixing up his play between fast and slow, two of my three bet-folds have been against him when he check-squeezed top two with the utg+1 fish in the pot). Button has me covered, I make it 90. He calls and it’s heads up to the flop (this is the first three-bet I’ve made at the table). Flop comes JT5ddh. This is where I feel completely uncomfortable and completely lost. I bet $115, he thinks for a minute and makes it 310. I fold, obviously. My thinking was that he’s an observant player, I haven’t really shown myself to be crazy preflop so he’s skewing my range toward QQ+, so I didn’t think he would be making that bet with total air or 1pair type hands. So he either has strong draws or has me crushed with a set, two pair, maybe AJ or like QQ KK type hands since he’s kind of trappy, and I have a tight image. Afterwards I felt like check/call was a better play. Any thoughts welcome. Especially interested in whether my line should change if I have the A or K of diamonds.

Been a little bit since I’ve played HE, but I think you should raise it up bigger pre to start. Just 3x’ing when you’re oop gives them too good of a price, I usually went to 4x, maybe a couple bbs more with the limpers in there. Flop, you both have JJ and TT, only he has 55 and you both have JTs so not a big polarity advantage one way or the other. You’ll have all of the overpairs that he likely won’t, but he’ll catch a piece of this board a fair amount.

I’m guessing in solver land you’re supposed to check this board a fair amount and a check might be good here, but it depends on reads. If you bet you obviously have to b/f vs a raise with this combo but if he floats you it gets dicey on a bunch of turns since you have < a psb left. If you check then I think you probably have to at least peel once against a smaller probe and either hope to improve or hope he shuts down on turn and river which doesn’t seem great. You could also x/shove over him to try to get him off of some middling hand like QJ/QT/T9 if he bets those but I think your hand is probably too good for that.

Tl;dr: raise bigger pre, probably go for x/c on the flop and evaluate from there, but bet/folding flop like you did is probably fine too.

2 Likes

Definitely make it bigger pre. But you’ve got kind of an awkward stack size for AK. I know this might be heresy, but I flat here quite a bit with that kind of stack size. I want over 100bb to set up a big 3bet, flop bet, turn jam (or river jam). Or If you have less than $400 I want the sizing to be a big 3bet and flop jam, but you’re in the weird in between. Flatting also keeps the fish in and in live poker 2/5 and lower everyone just auto puts you on AK when you reraise and it lets them play perfectly against you when you do have it lol.

3 Likes

As to the 25o hand I posted earlier I did end up calling and he showed Qc 8c. Weird hand.

1 Like

Good rule of thumb for 3 bet sizing when a few people have limped is 3x plus the total in the pot. At a lower limit maybe even a bit bigger than that. Your 3 bet should be in the $105 $110 range imo but your total stack is awkward as noted above.

1 Like