Poker Hands and Strategy

Fold to 3bet pre, check turn as played.

4 Likes

H#4169145019 - these are all Zone 5NL

90 BB effective

I open btn with JTo 3x
BB calls

8s6cTs Flop - he checks, pot is .30 cents, I bet .21, he c/r to .52 total. I call

Turn 6h

He checks, I feel like I should bet here now that I think through the hand, but I check

River 3h
He bets 2x pot into me

Played fine so far, but tough spot otr. You have to call a third of your range to make this an unprofitable bluff for Villain. You very likely bet the turn with overpairs (now two pair) and better, although maybe you check back 6x of spades sometimes to trap. You also have a bunch of busted draws otr, so JT is probably in the top half of your range for this line and board, but is it in the top third?

The Jack is not a great card to have because you want him to have J7, J9, JQ for the busted draw. The ideal bluff catcher would be like KT no spade, where you don’t block his bluffs, or 99, which significantly blocks his value range. It’s close but I think you can let JT go, especially if you have the spade. Call QT+ and 99 though.

2 Likes

I’ve also just started playing 25NL zone on Ignition, and I’ve been reading Clarke’s The Grinder’s Manual.

Clarke recommends open raising the BTN only x2 unless the blinds are sticky. I’ve been following this advice, and I don’t think my steal success had worsened, especially since in zone I think people are less likely to call with marginal hands.

yea I am reading that too, ive read it before but re-reading it again to get my feet under me, im about halfway.

I had been trying to do 2.5x but its annoying as fuck cuz you have to manually do it on bovada.

I’ll try 2x and see how it goes.

I’d recommend playing 3b or fold preflop in every position other than the BB. It makes your life much easier and people react poorly vs 3bs in general and especially at lower stakes

As played, hand 1 fold pre after you get 3b. I probably check back turn too unless you think you can get him off of QQ-TT if you fire twice or if you think he’ll peel an AQ/AJ type of hand. River I have no idea, his play doesn’t really make any sense so I’d be tempted to call and probably get owned by A4 or some stupid shit.

Hand 2 I think your cbet on the flop is fine but I would mix in a fair amount of checking too since this is his board. Calling the raise is fine. When he checks turn he’ll have some traps but I suspect he’s more heavily weighted towards draws so I’d probably fire 1/2 pot to get value from them then xb river. When he blasts the river I dunno, like AllTheCheese said the J is not good to have here so I think I’d fold.

1 Like

$25 Bomb Pot

I think UTG (5k) is a winning aggro player who has been crushing it lately, but today has been drinking and, by his own admission, is gambling it up and playing poorly and is stuck 10k+

UTG+1 (1k) is a little loose but I haven’t played with him that much.

MP (3500) is quite loose and makes some questionable plays, I think he’s on tilt.

I (2700) have AdJ22d in HJ.

Flop Ah Ks 8c
Flop Kd 3d 2c (Pot 225)

UTG+1 bets 200, MP calls, I call, UTG c/r pot 1225, UTG+1 calls AI, MP calls, I rip it, UTG shoves, MP tank-folds QdT5d4.

UTG has 33xx, UTG+1 has K956cc
Boards run out AK8JT and K32c 7c Tc
I take top board

Weird spot that’s totally opponent dependent and a good example of why having even a small piece of the second board is huge.

Rampage just punted off $30k on Hustlers live stream.

Is that a person?

One of the more popular vloggers who has been playing well over his head. He punted off $10k at TCH a few months ago and was trying to rebuild it only to succeed and then punt another $30k.

They have entertaining videos but they are not good at poker.

sat down with 500 on a 1-3 at 8 pm yesterday. ran pure for 2 hours up 1500. then proceeded to run bad a little followed by playing very bad. lost the remainder of my stack at about 3 am.

sadly bought in for another 1k. first hand get kings, don’t even have chips yet. get it in pre vs aces. very sad. k high flop. very happy. table breaks 20 mins i finish up 1500.

2 Likes

And some people think his rebuilding was some sketchy chip dumping by his friends so he could show it on his vlog.

Always curious when people like this are playing games well above their br. They obviously don’t have 100% but what moron would buy a piece or stake them

He’ll win it back from KGB.

just watched it. 30k was basically a buy-in and i don’t think he played really bad. his buddy seemed to play worse. but either way with a complete maniac like that Reza dude (what a hero) you gonna have some big swings if you’re willing to call down (which you should). The poker saying in hebrew is ‘put (on) a helmet’. Just call down with your bluff catcher and hope to come out in one piece.
Most of his losses came in that 3-way hand with Nick that was kinda problematic to play with the pf action.

Or just nit it up. Unsurprisingly all the winners in this session were the nits.

Give Reza a reality tv show imo.

1 Like

I love when Reza plays. The man does not know what folding is. Great for the game.

It’s some weird format with antes but essentially 50-100.

Nick opens SB to 600 with AQo.
Rampage 3b BB to 1800 with KQcc
Randall cold call with AThh
Nick calls.

Randall been losing and playing most pots from what i’ve seen.
Flop Qh2h2x
Nick checks, Rampage bets 1800, Randall shoves 12k. Nick tank flats with 12k behind.
Rampage jams for 24k eff and loses.

I don’t know enough about Nick. From what i’ve seen I think he was a fishreg that nitted up his game completely so he’s just an average nit now?

I think it’s pretty hopeful to imagine some scenario where Nick calls there with QJs or QTs and/or has the NFD and Randall has the weaker Queen.

Otoh he never has KK/AA there or any 2x. You lose to exactly AQ (and some very well acting job with QQ/22)

2 Likes

Ignition .25/.50, 6-handed Zone poker (players are anonymous and tables are shuffled after every hand). The player pool in general has seemed somewhat passive during this Fri early afternoon session…effective stacks $75.

UTG raises to $1.25, folded to CO who raises to $4, Hero calls $4 on the BTN with AKo.
Blinds fold, UTG raises to $12. CO calls $12, Hero…?

I don’t play this type of game often, but aren’t people way tighter preflop? At least that’s been my experience. There just isn’t the hate/leveling that happens. I might fold to the initial 3b.