Poker Hands and Strategy

Get stuck $2500, no problem

5 Likes

Raising seems bad, especially if they respect your raises, but play too many hands in limped pots.

Raise pre, the 3 bbs you lose a lot is worth initiative and building the pot.

On river I think it’s a pretty trivial fold tbh. You don’t even lose that much. If it’s the 0.5% of the time he pulls off a super sick move on a 4 flush board, uhhh, good for him. Again, you don’t even lose that much.

So, anyways, let’s unpack why position matters. It’s because you lack information about the people behind you.

But at a table that is predictably loose and limpy preflop, you have information about the action behind you; they’re going to play too many hands and very likely won’t raise without a premium hand. Thus, you can limp upfront with a lot more hands because you won’t get punished for limping in early position. And if raising in EP will cause your opponents to fold correctly preflop, then you are better off limping and inducing preflop mistakes from the rest of the table. The worse they play postflop, the more you want to encourage them to see flops.

I mean that’s part of it but it’s waaaay more than that. It’s much easier to get paid larger amounts in position. It’s much easier to manage pot size in position. It’s far harder for others to bluff out of position.

We’re talking about games with multi-way protected pots where bluffing post-flop isn’t as important. Yes, there are spots to bluff, but a lot more of your profit comes from hands that make it to showdown.

Which is much easier to maximize in position. It’s not close bruce.

Doesn’t mean you can’t play hands OOP.

I don’t think the argument is that A2s is more profitable utg than otb. It’s that playing it utg is more profitable than folding.

If you’re playing marginal hands with the hope of getting paid off, being position is super important.

@yuv - it’s very unlikely to be profitable for the reasons I’m posting

It’s impossible to play 1-3/2-5 live regurly and think it’s not profitable so the only possible conclusion is you don’t.

3 Likes

Yea, CN you’re not playing in the right games

I mean if you want to turn it into a dick waiving contest about what you’ve played or not, I played professionally live at 2/5 and 5/10 for several years in Chicago and Vegas. You can keep playing A2s utg all you want, it’s very likely a leak.

Playing 1-3 and 2-5 is a dick waiving contest if you’re into humilation videos. It’s the opppsite of it. You need professional help for this post. My god

Dude that’s not what we’re talking about, it’s a super soft passive 2/5 game

I’ve played in those too. I’ll let it go but y’all seem to think I haven’t played in this kind of game, and that’s really wrong.

Seriously this is the version of you that isn’t a jerk?

1 Like

You’re also OOP when opening from UTG+2 and yet the computer is indifferent to opening A2s from there. UTG the computer folds due to the extra two players behind who can wake up with a monster. (It does, however, mix opening A3s.) But the computer assumes it’s playing against optimal players, as opposed to droolers who might not raise AK (because “it’s a drawing hand”) but will call with 74s and then play terribly postflop. So IRL it’s table-dependent. Online, sure fold without thinking twice. Live you have to decide if the scales are tipped from slightly -EV to +EV. The higher rake is also a factor, since the preflop charts assume low rake.

In general my default at a 1/2 or 1/3 would be to play A2s utg. At 5/10+ my default would be to respect unknown players and play by the chart.

5 Likes

I’m sorry if it’s coming off that way, I don’t mean it too. I’ve played in this exact type of game though. Honestly just trying to give you good advice.

If you’re not playing some hands with the target of winning small to medium pots instead of stacks, you’re playing too tight.