Poker Hands and Strategy

Lol good one.

2 Likes

I honestly think he folds AQ there because he thinks he’s drawing dead.

Did he end up folding?

If he thinks you’re a nit, then you’re repping a set, a flush draw, and maybe low suited connectors. And you have a lot more draws than sets.

No, he tanked a long time and finally called with Q5s. He was sure he needed to hit his straight to win, but I bricked and he was shocked to take it down.

I think he folds any one pair hand without an OESD, probably any pair plus gutter, plus he double-barrels a lot of garbage.

I’m repping a set, two pair, a straight, or a flush draw with a queen. He thinks I don’t play big pots without the nuts or close to it and that I slow-play a lot.

It might be more accurate to say he thinks I have a nitty range when it comes to big bets. I can be sticky in defending my BB and bluff catch reasonably well.

I assumed you might defend your BB with low suited connectors, but “repping a straight” means you could have 85s/53s.

Magic 8-ball says “Seems unlikely.”

This seems like a lot of rationalizing for what is really just a bad read and player profile on your behalf.

I don’t get your obsession with constantly trying to use your perceived image to 4th level people in the level of games you play. It’s going to work at best 1/50 times.

1 Like

If he thinks your nit three bet pre.

1 Like

He bets too often. I prefer letting him have the initiative and picking my spots to bluff him.

Trapping is hands down the most overused play in poker. It the right play like 1 out of 200 times it’s used.

I agree that most players are bad at trapping and slow-playing. I think I am better than most, however. Most players select which hands to trap with based on absolute strength rather than thinking about their opponents’ ranges for calling vs betting.

I’ve played quite a bit live this month and I’ve had quite a few opponents where “trapping” is clearly the right way. There is def a strange type of macho opponent in these tables that bets pretty much whenever checked to.
While I don’t think balancing is very important at low stakes, you shouldn’t really have just bluff catchers and missed hands when you check rivers.

There are definitely villains at low stakes games that I will check my value hands to 3 times because that’s the line that gets the most value. They just can’t help firing at every check. I agree most players are bad it, and slowplay based almost solely on absolute hand strength and not based on the situation, player tendencies, or board texture and ranges.

most players are bad at everything. It’s a million times harder to play against someone who has a checking range that includes big hands.

Hello my name is CN, and I’m addicted to the stack-a-donk… esp in 3bet pots omg I can’t stop

Do you ever get paid off on your big hands? I mean it seems like you’re happy to use your nitty imagine to get some folds like this in bluffs, but nobody pays you off do they?

Whenever I take your line I get snapped by anyone with half a brain, because they doubt I’d do that with a set, like why push a player with a big Q (or repping a big Q) off his hand while drawing dead? And they’re right, I wouldn’t do that with a set or str8 bc it’s dumb, and then they call.

The big turn C/R with a combo draw used to be a big leak of mine that I have now mostly removed from my game for the better.

1 Like

@NotBruceZ deciding to raise that turn when you had less equity instead of the flop when you had a ton more is really freaking bad. It’s not like you had some sort of big implied odds by your own read. Raise that flop.

Also defending the bb is even worse. 3bet pre if you’re going with that hand.

1 Like

Usually when I let my opponent have the initiative and they build the pot for me then feel pot committed when I lower the boom on the turn or river.

The thing is, I would play a set that way, at least some of the time. And my opponent is a reg who knows I would play a set that way. I wouldn’t pull this move off against an unknown. I’m doing this against someone who feels like he never wins big pots against me.

I’ve played against the guy for a decade. He cbets the flop close to 100% of the time, which is flat-out bad, and when I call the flop, he will barrel the turn with a lot of his air because he wants to believe he can push me off of a flopped one-pair hand.

Why should I jam the flop against someone who plays that way?