Poker Hands and Strategy

Anyone have any resources for general adjustments to a bounty tournament?

The obvious ones seem to be:

Calling lighter all ins since the bounty should make every call higher EV than no bounty.

Understanding that a player will try to isolate an all in and you should expand your range as such.

Aggression to build up a bigger stack to increase chances of bounties.

I would add being short stacked is much worse in a bounty than standard mtt.

I’ve been trying to get back into poker a bit more now that crypto dying and need my gambling fix. Have found upswing to be decent refresher. Not sure if this is too basic for what you’re looking for, but seems to make sense to me.

1 Like

Great article. Thanks!

I’m playing the mystery bounty with randomized amounts which completely throws a wrench into the chip calculation, but the general ideas make sense are and very helpful.

If you want to get really mathematical, you could calculate the EV of the remaining bounties and use that (sort of like in Deal or No Deal). Might be too hard to track, but could just use the starting EV and do rough estimate based on how many bounties have been claimed and whether the big bounties are still out there.

Here’s my 1500 HORSE bust out hand halfway through the last level of the night. If I win, I have over an average stack.

A deuce brings in. 5 completes. I two-bet with (J9)Q. I have the biggest door card. No one has a K, Q, J, T, or 8 showing. I have a very live two-flush. Villain calls.

On fourth, I have (J9)QK vs (xx)5Q. I bet, he raises, I call.

Fifth: (J9)QKT vs (xx)5Q2. I check, he bets, I call. I check call because I think he bets 6th.

Sixth: I check-raise and he puts me in for my last fractional bet. It’s (J9)QKT5 vs (QQ)5Q24.

My river is irrelevant and he catches a deuce to knock me out.

fourth is a pretty strong raise from most opponents think it’s one of those crap that you’ve put so much in already but gotta save the remaining bets and hope for better afterwards spots

third is a rather solid range of a complete too if it’s soon after the bring in and opponent isn’t a loose player, I might’ve just let it go there. (also might’ve done what you did tho)

he raised a card that is supposed to be a huge brick for his range and equity vs you (even if it does make it more likely you don’t have a pair of Q’s, that K hits quite a few Q iso bluffs like that)

My plan was to fold fifth unimproved. I think I’m getting the right implied odds to call the raise on fourth for a chance to bink a ten, but I’m not sure how to discount that for the reverse implied odds when I pair. I might still fold some pairs on fifth because he is raising against the much stronger board with a bet from a player I know he perceives as very tight.

I think my opponent folds most one pair hands to me on fifth. He had a big stack and was kind of aggressive on early streets, but didn’t spew on late streets. He has hands like (A4)5 in his opening range.

Stud high is my weakest game in HORSE. I can handle the early parts of a tournament when you have a lot of hands with four players seeing fourth. I’m less certain when we get to the part where good players have re-stealing ranges.

This seems to be a hand that has led to some debate online. In case it’s not clear, solver kid jams with 33 in the SB over a CO open and runs into AA.

https://twitter.com/LandonTice/status/1537556216271892481?s=20&t=PZapXwJRCGM0vkzMrAY4QA

Open jamming for anything more than 12 BB with 33 seems really bad

It was a 3b jam, but you can def openjam more than 12bb from btn/sb.

Not sure about the right line here.

1-3, I open to 8c8d to 15 in EP, fish calls MP, good TAG reg 65 CO, average reg calls BTN, I call, fish calls.

I have 860 to start the hand, fish ~1500, BTN ~2000, 3b covers.

Flop 765ccs anyone leads? I check. It’s checked around.

live reads can suck, but BTN did what appeared to me genuine start of a bet and changed his mind and checked.

Turn Jx. What’s my play?

CO is supposed to check most of the time, if not 100% of the time, I think. So, I would consider leading into someone who checks appropriately and check against someone who c-bets too wide, with the options to call or raise depending on the action. That might be more correct heads-up than multi-way, but people are more careless about giving off tells multi-way, so you find yourself in hands that are effectively heads up if you pay attention.

If I checked a straight on the flop, I’d probably check it on the turn, so I’d probably check the jack, as played.

i agree CO is mostly checking this flop.

leading kinda puts me in an awkward position as i’m very unlikely to take it down but then have a 700 stack with ~500 pot if i’m getting called in one spot.

on the turn if i check am i x/c? then x/f river unimproved? x/r? x/j?

I think after a turn check it’s just one of those “play poker” moments where all options are available depending on what other players do.

1 Like

I did end up leadin turn for 160, got called quickly by btn.

River 5x (board 765J5). Pot is 585 and i have 640.

I think i should shove this. I can have all the big hands here pretty realistically while he cant really have much better than AJ.

Ended up chickening out and checked. He instsntly check behind and wins with JTcc

I think you played it fine. I am not in the business of trying to bluff players in 1/3 off top pair unless I know a lot about them.

I think you’re going to get looked up on the river quite often here - lots of missed draws (straight and flush) that you could be bluffing. So even though you are more likely to have the big hands, I think that either (1) he’s just a level 1 player who’s not folding top pair or (2) if he thinks about it, he’ll realize you have enough bluffs to hero call.

If you’re going to bluff, I’d be more inclined to do it with hands with no showdown value as it’s possible your 88 is good - he could have lots of Axcc or A8s.

3 Likes

While this is 1/3 it’s practically uncapped game so it plays very deep at times. People dont stack off that easily. I agree in general but think i misplayed this one as it all aligned well to turn my hand into a bluff there i think.

I might be wrong ofc.

1 Like

Villain has blockers to missed draw. Not sure if he’s thinking that way, though.