Poker Hands and Strategy

I’d call and.play poker practically always. I’d only suggest 4b/call off if you felt overwhelmed at deepstack poker or something. cEV is negligible in terms of justifying a bad outcome, idk why you would given your villain description.

Even if you play it super weakly this hand at this level doesn’t make or break you unless you break yourself. JMO.

1 Like

Seems unlikely to have much of a 5bet bluff range because he seems like the sort to not have much of a 3bet bluff range. He sounds like an action guy who wants to see a flop and bink something. The question is whether he can overrate some value hands.

I think preflop in early stages of an mtt is somewhat similar to that IQ bell curve meme where top wizards and regular donks have similar approaches (to a very specific extent) while average regs get into unnecessary complicated spots

1 Like

Yeah with these stack sizes and being early in the tourney its very similar to just online cash, where this spot is super common and 4bet/gii is completely standard and just probably best. Also tourney players will probably over call the 4bet, so you have extra value there that makes up for maybe a narrower initial 3bet range and 5bet bluff range.

I’ll say that flatting is fine though. I vaguely remember solver outputs showing a lot more flatting with high pairs (as in no ace blockers) than I otherwise would have thought.

Pretty sure 4bet/fold and straight jamming are just really bad though.

I think this is probably my biggest leak in deep stacked tournaments. (I mean obviously that’s why one posts hands when one knows they butchered them)
So I did infect 4b to 11k and then the btn did infect shove on me and then I sigh folded since I didn’t think we was going to 5-bet bluff there.

Hand one: think about how you’re doing if you are up against a straight and another boat draw. Are you closing out the action? What are the chances someone raises behind you?

Hand two: Is there a chance your two pair are best? If you stick it in, how many callers will you get?

Seems wide from UTG nine handed. You should only be opening 8%ish from that position, so already you have KK+ a lot when you open. Don’t think QQ works as a value 4b/gii against a competent opponent given that.

Oh, in my mind I read it as CO vs BU. Nm then, I’ve never really played 9 handed cash so idk wtf to do there.

I laughed:

I have 33 in SB in .1/.25. HJ raises to .75, button calls, I call. BB calls.

Flop Tc32

Checks around. Turn Jc

I check, SB bets 2.14, HJ raises to 6.74, button raises to 11.34, I shove for 25.

Other two guys fold, I’m thinking this is for sure TT or 22, maybe TJ. Its AJo

they thought you said TOP TOP

1 Like

Ignition $.05/$.10 NL

Hero has QsQd in the BB, folds to HJ who limps, folds to me and I check. Flop is JdKh3c. I check and HJ checks behind. Turn is the 6h. I bet half pot and HJ calls. River is the 5h. Action goes check-check. Villain takes it down with AdAs

wait a minute, is this a joke I’m not getting? Why didn’t you raise pre?

ESP

1 Like

damn dog nh

The table emptied shortly after that hand and I left up $8.50 or so. I’m still not sure how that happened.

1 Like

My PLO game has gotten even wilder lately. Many hands are $60-$90 preflop going 5 or 6 ways to flop. Easy to lose $700 bucks just calling pre and missing.

Seems like the right move isn’t to adjust my play or hand selection but to ensure my roll can handle the larger game.

Would you be changing your strategy here much given the game is somewhat shallower with say 2-3 players having less than $500 in these pots but a few having 2$k+?

If you are not sure your roll can handle the game, you can play tighter and buy in shorter.

Preflop hand selection is a dominant factor in winning in this sort of game. I would honestly never raise pre in this game because they will do it for you and pick hands to do some back-jamming.

To clarify, I would never put in the first raise and often not the second unless I can commit stacks.

5-5-(25) PLO
BB (3.5k) is new to the table and I’ve never played with him before, but my snap liveread is that he’s action.
STR (10k) has played somewhat aggro for the first raise preflop, especially out of the blinds, but has played solid and basically always just had it postflop. He is up a bunch.
I’m UTG with 4k and have not won a hand in about 3 hours, so I’m sure that I have a nitty image, but BB doesn’t know any of that.

I limp UTG with AT99ddd, couple limps, STR r 100, 4 ways to flop

Flop As9h6h (Pot 430)

BB leads 350, STR calls, I just call, figuring that I have position and there’s a ton of shitty turn cards that will put me in a bad spot.

Turn Kd (Pot 1480)

BB bets 1k, STR tankfolds, I rip it for 2k more, SB calls.

River is the 4h and I figure I’m dead but he mucks, no idea what he had

5-5-(25) PLO

UTG (2k) is very loose and buried for like 30 $500 buyins
MP (3.5k) is also buried and a bit drunk, she plays pretty LAG but doesn’t tend to give me much action because she thinks I’m a mega nit.
SB (covers) might be a good player, he always buys in for 20k, but he also really likes to gamble and has made it clear that he’s more interested in gambling than winning money at the moment.
I have 4.5k in the straddle with AA7Thhcc

UTG limps, MP pots to 110, 3 calls, I pot to 650ish, UTG calls, MP repots, SB calls, I jam, UTG folds, MP + SB call.

SB always runs it once and MP wants to do some RIT if one of us wins thing but I don’t want to deal with it so just say once.

MP has AA63ddss, I don’t know what SB has because the board runs out 77J7x for sweatless 13k scoop :money_mouth_face:

4 Likes

Live 2/5. Effective stacks are a bit over 400.

I open with A9o in the CO for 15. Unknown Asian male in his first hand defends the big blind. Since he has four blacks and a few reds, he obviously came from a table game after being colored up.

He donks for 20 on a AQ8r flop. I call. Originally wrote AQ9, but it was an 8)

Turn is a jack putting two hearts. I have the A :heart: . He bets 30. I call.

River is an offsuit 4. He bets 30.

Do I…
  • Snap call. No sense in raising.
  • Fold. I’m obviously beat.
  • Raise for value. He obviously has a worse ace.
  • Raise as a bluff. I can definitely get him off AK/AT and he might even fold two pair.

0 voters