Podcast Thread

Thursday’s Chapo episode was a total black pill.

Saw the description for the Ezra Klein episode and want no part of that shit. Guess he’s sharing a fever dream he had or something.

this is the most bubble protection post I’ve ever seen.

Is this Ezra Klein podcast about how joe is actually good? Kinda like what chapo has been unironically been doing for two weeks?

I actually thought it was ironic on Chapo. Kind of a running joke with deadpan delivery.

Emergency 5-4 just dropped, this should be some fire.

1 Like

Irish Joe!

Nah. I mean they still think he sucks and said so explicitly and repeatedly, but they are dead serious about thinking he’s been awesome on Afghanistan.

1 Like

and falling asleep during UK meeting!

Guess Rogan did decide to do full right-wing lunatic. In the first ten minutes of his comeback episode, he basically lauds the benefits of ivermectin as a treatment for covid19.

No come to Jesus moment for him. If anything, this solidified his previously held beliefs about covid.

I love Tom Segura but even a good guest is not enough to overcome the existence of Joe Rogan anymore. Rogan is the Citizen Kane of podcasting. Wonder what his Rosebud is. Probably a Popeye doll or something.

1 Like

:rofl:

Been meaning to post this for a while - I held off listening to the “quarantine book club” series of Michelle Remembers on You’re Wrong About because I was like, I don’t want to listen to them read a book for 6 episodes in a row. Eventually listened and highly recommend it. If you don’t know, Michelle Remembers is the “repressed memories of satanic ritual abuse” book that kicked off the Satanic Panic. It’s a both amusing and infuriating self-own of a book which describes ever more eye-rollingly ludicrous “memories” (towards the end Satan shows up and starts spitting some hot rhymes) and ever more jaw-droppingly unprofessional behaviour. The fascination of the book is the contrast between the painfully obvious psychological forces undergirding the events with the complete obliviousness of the psychologist giving Michelle this “therapy” and writing the book. It’s the same feeling of having a five year old earnestly tell you about how they just ran away from a dinosaur and seeing how clueless they are about the fact that you know they’re full of shit, except that this is a grown ass man.

1 Like

Another good Chapo on 9/11 insanity.

1 Like

Hopefully that Part 1 in the episode title wasn’t to fuck with people

Just finished Dan Carlin supernova in the east.

I enjoyed the hell out of it. A couple of minor quibbles.

• would have been better with more Japanese and civilian perspectives. The ones he did include were great. Just more of, please.

• Uncritically quoting a man who beat his mother, wife and kids to death with a block of wood. Yeah. Maybe they all wanted to die too… but maybe this was a murder suicide.

Any recommendations for similar long listens? I think I’ve done most of Carlin. The WW1 stuff is up there as possibly the best media on ww1 ever. Gonna skip Apache tears, mostly out of fear that his old white guy perspective isn’t what I’m looking for in first nations history.

1 Like

Revolutions podcast has some very solid long listens. He’s covered about 8 revolutions, some over 50+ episodes.

Thank you. Looks amazing. Will try Haiti first. But 1848 and Mexico both on the list.

The History of World War 2 podcast. 330 episodes and counting. They aren’t super-long episodes but plenty of multi part series within.

China History Podcast has a number of multi-part episodes.

History of Rome is great. History on Fire is good if you can handle Italian-accented English.

1 Like

What sort of depth is history of Rome? I’ve read a fair bit before. Will it be original stuff?

I just started Revolutions from the beginning a few days ago. I considered skipping to season 2 (American revolution) but am already glad I didn’t because of how interesting the factions of the English revolution were, including groups that were like proto-communist, and how some of the grievances are kinda precursors to the American revolution and others.

Revolutions is insanely good - the current season (10th) will be the last apparently, and the longest, holy shit, I don’t think Lenin even showed up until like 10.60