Podcast Thread

The latest 5-4 is just brutal. We are the bad guys.

2 Likes

Amber’s sloppy drunk Neera impression made me lol. Sorry haters.

6 Likes

I went on a trip to DC during my junior year of high school and about the only things I still recall about it are getting dumped by my girlfriend and the visits to that theatre and the house across the street where Lincoln died. It was a really life changing experience for me and most of the other hick kids I was with there.

2 Likes

Lincoln did not run on an anti-slavery ticket in 1860. He, like most republicans of the day, did not want the further expansion of slavery. The South perceived that it needed the further expansion of slavery into new states/territories. Succession began shortly after Lincoln’s election and prior to his inauguration, culminating about 30+ years of increasingly tense political fighting over the status (well, expansion) of slavery. Pretty good discussion here: Secession - Definition, Civil War & Southern States

Just listened to the audiobook of the Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant, which are quite good and justly famous.

Fun fact, Grant’s dad was friends with John Brown’s dad and Grant knew John Brown some as a kid. (Also, Grant apparently owned a slave for less than a year and then freed him before the war. The “ownership” was likely a precursor to a plan to to free him.)

This is the full text of the Gettysburg address, which Lincoln delivered after some other guy spoke for 2-3 hours.

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

"Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

"But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”

Yeah they were good but in classic Amber fashion she went to the well too many times

B+ episode for her though

1 Like

Yeah Amber was good that ep. She had a very nice one liner as well, can’t remember what it was, maybe someone else can.

Haven’t heard the whole episode but I agree based on what I’ve heard so far. Solid drunk girl impression of Neera.

I find that Amber monopolizing the convo = bad. Amber popping in from time to time for the occasional zinger related to the topic a la Virgil = good.

No shame in playing a supportive role. There are already too many people on an episode as it is imo.

1 Like

Not sure if this has been brought up in here, but I’m halfway through the first episode of Nice White Parents. From what friends have told me, it really delivers.

It’s chilling to hear white people call it “integration” when they make a group decision to send their children en masse to a mostly poc school in Brooklyn.

Latest Citations Needed is both fantastic and super depressing.

The latest 5-4 got me thinking about some stuff that I believe that sounds like a conspiracy theory if I say it out loud. For instance, I believe that there’s a large, coordinated effort, lead by extremely wealthy people, to fund specific types of research for the express purpose of swaying public opinion. Like, of course that’s true and happening on a wide range of subjects, but try explaining to a person that the reason they think it’s too easy to sue in the US is because a bunch of billionaires want you to think that, it sounds crazy.

1 Like

today’s Dear Hank and John is worth it just for the moment when you can literally hear John’s brane break when he realizes the origin of the word “hamburger”

3 Likes

Latest You’re Wrong About - losing relatives to fox news - is good.

1 Like

Well I mean thats not a conspiracy theory. Thats exactly what billionaire funded think tanks are.

The frivalous lawsuit thing is fascinating though. It mostly started with the McDonalds hot coffee thing. You should look it up. The poor women who spilled it on herself had 3rd degree burns, her genetials were mutilated, she had to have reconstructive surgery, and she only wanted the like 30k to pay for hospital bills and they told her to fuck off.

So McDonalds and other billionaires launched a campaign to basically attack her and mock her and say of course coffee is hot! But McDonlads at the time had their coffee at something insane like legit boiling when they served it and they’d had a ton of people before get horrible burns so they knew.

Eventually it became a long running joke even on liberal late night talk shows and shit to mock her. It’s disgusting.

3 Likes

Clare got Disney’d. She was one of the better ones on the podcast who kept Nate in check.

https://twitter.com/claremalone/status/1335984991323435009?s=21

more like she got Silvered. You try to keep me in check on a podcast? See what happens.

Those same “liberal” late shows that mercilessly ruined Lewinsky’s life when she did nothing wrong at all.

2 Likes

My business law class professor made a big point about telling what the actual facts were and how the corporations tried to spin it. It was one of his headline cases when it came to tort law.

Chapo made me like Avatar now?

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed John Green’s Anthropocene Reviewed podcast and was sad that it ended. Didn’t realize that he had this one, too - nice replacement.

1 Like