Opinion: Underground bunkers won’t turnout the way the buyer planned

Underground, private {safe havens from Armageddon. Zombie apocalypse, nukes , civil war etc have apparently never been more popular. But in an actual “shit hits the fan “ need, how does it play out?

The world is crazy and unstable but how do things actually play out even if some of the 1 % that are stable and well intentioned get these, who makes the cut.
All of the working parts that make your bunker a realty are essentially worker bees w families , loved ones etc. Maybe China, Russia etc kill the diggers, plumbers, electricians sales person etc after the sale but that’s not happening everywhere. So:
A) how do u keep the worker bees from having a back door or ambushing the chosen 1s on arrival
B) the emotional bubble/trust of whom u bring? For example, a husband and wife that has a 12 person , high end bunker have 3 living/functional parents (5) and 4 adulthood siblings of which 2 are happily married and 3 have children, the que is at 11. That leaves an exemption , no children , no friends etc. just doesn’t seem plausible

If doomsday actually happens and 99% of the earths population dies it will be because of something stupid like Kim Jong Un decides to nuke everyone based on fake Facebook posts saying the US is moments from invading, and the remaining population of earth will have no purpose but to hunt down mark zuckerberg after it happens.

I mean I doubt elon musk can even tie his shoes at this point after all the ket he’s done. Without workers to exploit I think these colossus earth bestriding genuises are gonna find out how self sufficient and galtian they really are. Shame it will take the destruction of the entire species to make them see reality but so it goes.

2 Likes

This is my favorite idiot rich person thing. They are 100% getting shot by their “employees” lolololol

1 Like

reminds me of a convo i had on my 80-year old neighbor’s porch last summer…

him: been thinking about storing water and canned food in the basement, world’s gone mad.

me: shouldn’t tell anyone about it, also get a gun.

him: why?

me: bc if i didn’t already have supplies in MY basement, i’d be coming to get yours.

him: well how come you can tell me you have supplies?

me: i got guns.

i’m loyal. if someone hired me to _______ at their doomsday bunker and we had a respectful relationship up to that point, i’m gonna ______. but if while i’m doing that, my gf and her daughter needed to come bc the world is ending, the answer is either “yes” or our relationship is no longer respectful.

i’d like to think the most powerful, wealthy people in the world understand that and build a couple extra bunk beds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/ej66ru/a_list_of_all_the_vaults_and_their_designated/

1 Like

Set it up with a self destruct so that everyone dies when the billionaire dies and more than enough supplies and space for all staff and their families. No reason not to keep the billionaire alive.

1 Like

The other thing is that after nuclear war “money” won’t exist anymore.

1 Like

There’s a lot between what’s going on today (A) and going postal on zombies from your rooftop holding your last bottled water (Z).

Everything is going to be situated for that scenario well before that happens. I think it was Zizkak who eluded to that in a bit more in-depth.

I mean, the FBI, with all the info is going to figure that shit out.

According to our Mekong Delta guide, when the communists took over in Vietnam, rich people buried their gold. 20 years later when people could own property and build houses again, suddenly nice houses popped up all over.

If I was rich and thought Armageddon was coming I would a) bury a bunch of gold somewhere that only I know, and b) cultivate as much muscle as possible that seemed to be decent enough that they wouldn’t torture me for the location of the gold, as long as I promised them a healthy cut when we got out of the bunker. They might steal all my gold when we get out and dug it up, but at least I’d be alive.

1 Like

Going to repeat my idea for a TV show about a bunch of crypto billionaires after a nuclear apocalypse.

2 Likes

What happens to the blockchain if the power grid goes out? I guess it just waits until the power is restored and enough computers that had an old copy of it can be connected together.

Someone who could put internet traffic over HAM radio might be really valuable post-apocalypse.

Why ham radio. Wifi stops working?

There is no more internet. No more routers. No more backbone.

How are you going to connect wifi from some post-apocalyptic compound in Vermont that has a couple computers working off generators to the Red Dawn kids in Michigan doing the same thing, and maybe a few dozen similar pockets of society scattered around the country?

We need to update our images of the apocalypse from the 80s.

• solar power
  • electric vehicles
  • Tesla and other batteries
  • mobile phones with apps, blue tooth etc

This tech doesn’t go back in the bottle just because there’s an apocalypse.

Everything will be much more fragmented and unreliable, but there’s gonna be power and networks and technology, especially over local areas.

1 Like

sure it will, there will always be a currency even if bills and coins are no longer it. Will probably be bottle caps, cigarettes, or ammo.

Maybe it’s because I’m over 50, but if Armageddon comes, kill me fast and quick. Who wants to go through all that bullshit.

5 Likes

How are you going to fix mobile phones, Teslas or anything like that when they break?

I think you’re underestimating how much effort will need to be put into defending your little solar farm against roving bands of hungry street gangs and army and national guard units with heavy weapons. People will go feral much faster than you expect.

Think of who has direct access to all the heavy weapons in this country - young men in their teens and early 20s. Might will 100% make right. Warlords will dominate the landscape. Internet improvement projects will be low down on their list of priorities. It will take a while for civilization to stabilize again imo. Possibly generations.

Lol some doomsday prepper trying to defend his little compound with a ton of ARs and ammo vs. bazookas and mounted .50 cals. He’s pretty much guaranteed to have a ton of food and probably gold stashed somewhere. He’ll be a stationary target. They can come back to him whenever they run out of easy targets.

Maybe not. Maybe people will be less feral than the Mad Max movies. But I can sure see this as one very likely outcome. If you reduce it to might makes right, everything else falls into place. It only takes one ultra-violent group to trash everyone else’s fledgeling attempts at civilization (see: history).

3 Likes

Some of these are amazing. Did we really learn all of this through data dumps in the games or is their some official Fallout history encyclopedia?

1 Like

Those ultra violent groups will be the civilisations…

People organise. Large organisations and those who find ways to co-operate will dominate and i mean that in the loosest sense, i.e. working together and dividing labour, no matter how coercive

The idea that everyone fragments into groups of 10 or less goes completely against every single period of history we have, no matter how troubled. There will be successor states and government and they will be pretty big

And I wasn’t suggesting Tesla’s stay functional as cars, more the batteries used in conjunction with solar.

A mobile phone last 5 plus years if looked after. If we are down to 5% of the population there’s enough phones for every person to have one for 100 plus years, more if they are just used for infrastructure and those in important roles.

These technologies create power today, they will continue to create power in future, and people will work to use and build technology as a means to access power.