On the morality of outing shitty senators supporting bad laws against gays

Grunch/
Fuck that hypocritical piece of shit

2 Likes

Republicans can. I donā€™t see how this possibly changes anyoneā€™s mind about Lindsey.

Yeah, lol at everyone who thinks that a republican senator getting caught patronizing prostitutes of the opposite gender wouldnā€™t also be huge news and likely career ending. Itā€™s magnitudes worse than an affair (which isnā€™t actually a crime), and those have been career ending as well (although I agree they should be in the who cares category).

Uh, this isnā€™t huge news as it is.

In 2007, David Vitter was caught up in the DC Madam scandal. In 2010, he was re-elected with 56.56% of the vote.

I didnā€™t say anything about how damaging it is to gay people collectively. Nothing most of us do or say is huge news, that doesnā€™t mean we canā€™t be assholes.

Pastor Ted Haggard got caught with meth and a gay prostitute and heā€™s still on his grid. These people donā€™t actually have principles beyond tribalism. They wonā€™t fucking care if one of their own gets caught being a gay hypocrite or whatever.

JFC, some of yā€™all need to re-read what Sartre tried to teach us:

ā€œNever believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.ā€

If I could make witchcraft stick Iā€™d happily throw him on the pyre. Iā€™ll happily concede that this particular way to deal damage to the man is slightly unsavory, but honestly guys itā€™s a long way from the bottom of my range for how dark Iā€™d get to somewhat inconvenience Lady G.

Let us know if you start eating a bunch of Twinkies.

Lol Iā€™m sorry that just went right over my head.

I have got to get me some of that closeted diplomatic immunity, I have to say, thatā€™s wild. Lindsay Graham openly stuffing ballot-boxes come November, everyone pretending heā€™s invisible because heā€™s wearing a t-shirt that says ā€˜Secretly Gayā€™ and I mean you just know that would become the real story so ya know.

A lot of people donā€™t seem to get the point. Itā€™s similar to why youā€™re being an asshole when you call Sarah Huckabee fat. Itā€™s got nothing to do with protecting Sarah Huckabee, itā€™s that when you laugh at her for being overweight it is laughing at every overweight person. When you call Sarah Huckabee a scumbag or something thatā€™s completely different. Sheā€™s not immune from all criticism because sheā€™s overweight.

1 Like

Youā€™re making the opposite point that you think you are though. Outing Lindsey Graham as a hypocrite for committing crimes by patronizing prostitutes when heā€™s a right wing family values law and order republican would be like outing SHS for lying while also being fat, without mentioning her weight. The fact that sheā€™s fat isntā€™ the point, itā€™s the fact that sheā€™s a liar. The fact that Graham is gay isnā€™t the point, itā€™s the fact that heā€™s a hypocrite for patronizing prostitutes.

3 Likes

Except youā€™re wrong about the point. As everyone with any sense has already posted, no one cares that Graham is a hypocrite or at least has had that demonstrated a million times over. Heā€™s the poster child for insincere politician. I guess you can laugh at the hypocrisy or breaking the law (lol) in an echo chamber, but anyone hoping it matters to his voters is pointing at him being gay.

I guess a few people here are just mistaken about this rather than going ā€œlol gayā€, though your ā€œheā€™s breaking the lawā€ take seems awfully contrived. But, I guess you have your law and order background and that can really seep in deep.

Which of the following is more predicated on the notion that thereā€™s something wrong with being gay?

• Reporting on a right-wing, family-values-touting public servant patronising sex workers
  • Spending a lifetime of public service railing and voting against marriage equality and other gay-rights reforms

0 voters

Like I said, itā€™s the beam in their eye and the mote in our own. Conceded: probably some people will find it more interesting, or funnier, simply because it involves him being gay. The part I donā€™t get is why that fact is all-determining.

The trivial hypocrisies of our ideological opponents are often a source of glee and amusement. People find it hilarious that Ayn Rand wound up on welfare and itā€™s not because they assume thereā€™s something wrong with welfare - itā€™s because she did and Boo on her.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s something wrong with being gay, I think thereā€™s something wrong with being Lindsay Graham. It may not bring him down, but itā€™s not impossible. Take the shot.

3 Likes

As an overweight person I strongly approve of calling Sarah Huckabee fat. You have to meet people where they are atā€¦ especially when you want to emotionally abuse them.

I agree that in a vacuum some of these attacks are absolutely wrong, but attacking people has very different implications when youā€™re punching up vs when youā€™re punching down. Very hard to punch down at the most powerful people in the world (who it so happens are Naziā€™s). Hit them with whatever you want IMO.

As a Jew I do not approve of calling Henry Kissinger a hebe.

Or even as the child of someone who was well beyond just overweight, anytime anyone is made fun of for being overweight itā€™s extremely clear to me that it is an attack on a lot of people.

So why even bother to point out Grahamā€™s hypocrisy in other instances? I mean if itā€™s just a waste of time, and no one is going to care, why bother?

In fact, why stop at hypocrisy? What is the point of any attacks? Voters are not going to care and he is going to win anyway, right?

As someone half Jewish who got subjected to weird Messianic Jewish bullshit rituals as a kid I strongly approve of anything that makes Henry Kissinger uncomfortable. I really really doubt that judaism is the right point to needle Henry Kissinger onā€¦ but if it is that says a lot about his world view and I would love for him to experience that negative sensation a lot.

Iā€™m pretty overweight. I canā€™t speak for all fat people, but Iā€™ve been fat since I was probably 10 years old and itā€™s had a huge impact on my life. I absolutely agree that itā€™s a shitty thing to fat shame someone (although itā€™s also, in my opinion, very harmful to tell fat people that everything is fineā€¦ it really isnā€™t). Itā€™s one of those situations where fat shaming is worth -100 points but doing literally anything that hurts SH is worth 750 points. Still a pretty good overall move and I approve.

The left still thinks they can win by endlessly attacking Republicans and not offering any positive alternatives.