On the morality of outing shitty senators supporting bad laws against gays

I agree that if Lindsay just got outed as gay it wouldn’t cost him any votes. At least, not a statistically significant number. I think that him getting outed for patronizing prostitutes could do something. And it’s an otherwise close race. And I don’t see any ethical problems with outing a hypocrite family values law and order republican who patronizes prostitutes, which is still a crime.

You can look up polls, but the one I found said 58% of Republicans are not ready for a gay President. I’m not looking up whether they are ready for a gay Senator or not.

You may have to accept that you have a skewed notion on whether or not people care about “which is still a crime”. They don’t.

Can you imagine anyone not knowing that Lindsay Graham is political hack without principals?

I mean, you think it’s wrong that he visited a male sex worker? Is that the point?

I’m mixed on prostitution in general because it can cause a lot of exploitation, but that’s for another thread. Regardless of what you feel about prostitution, you’ve got a senator who is a “law and order” hack who is committing crimes. I don’t care that he’s patronizing a male prostitute, I care that he’s patronizing a prostitute. He’s a hypocrite. Yes I know that is thing 1,000 that is wrong with Lindsey Graham, but I think it’s worth outing.

He’s law and order (not really - he has no principles) and he broke the law. That’s the point. Nothing to do with him having gay sex and Republicans being generally anti-gay.

Not buying it.

Maybe for you and you only Mr. Law, but you only. Maybe he loses some of the prosecutor vote - but probably not.

1 Like

So, to be clear, he must not be outed as patronising sex workers because he’s closeted? If he was out, or straight, and was doing the same, it would be legit news, but it can’t be mentioned simply because he’s closeted?

I feel like there’s a bit of hypocrisy involved in complaining about someone hiring a prostitute unless you actually believe prostitution should be illegal.

Libs cannot stop covering up the beam in their neighbour’s eye while loudly denouncing the mote in their own. Like, there’s maybe some fairly abstracted tension there — I wouldn’t stretch to calling it hypocrisy — but it pales in comparison to what it’s calling out.

This is very much not true. Not even a little. Not on the right or left. Especially not in the US.

There is no ‘must’. I’m just saying that anyone who gives a shit is going “lol, he’s gay. In your face deplorables. He’s gay.”

1 Like

What would they be saying if he was straight? I mean it would still be news.

Would it?

It was when Eliot Spitzer did it.

WTF - of course it would be huge news. Sex scandals are always huge news, and often politicians resign because of them.

Just recently:

2019 - Katie Hill resigns over lesbian affair
2018 - Joe Barton (R-TX) drops out after a graphic nude photo of himself was released
2018 - MO governor resigns after allegations of affairs and that he threatened to release a nude picture if she ever spoke of affair
2017 - AL governor resigns (under threat of impeachment) due to affair and having used some campaign money for mistress
2017 - Tim Murphy (R-PA) resigns over affair and harassment of staff

All of these were covered heavily. Some were perhaps slightly worse than just visiting a prostitute, but then the Hill, Barton, and Murphy ones were pretty tame and still led to them resigning/retiring.

edit: sorry replied to wrong poster.

2 Likes

Funny how everyone thought it was hypocrisy, that’s pretty dumb, but now it’s that he saw a sex worker.

People here have been making fun of Lindsay for being gay forever. This is more of the same. He’s the enemy, so he’s fair game. Only there’s nothing wrong with being gay, or seeing a sex worker, everyone knows he’s a hypocrite a million times over and none of us would abandon someone we liked because of a scandal like this. That’s the hypocrisy here, but the problem is the scandal mostly rests on the notion that being gay is bad. I don’t gaf what’s on the news, but go find anyone here on this site who said “lol, Lindsay got caught with a prostitute” instead of “lol, Lindsay got caught with a male prostitute”.

Exactly. It’s such a total misunderstanding of American society to suggest nobody cares about who people sleep with as to be comical.

It Is literally one of the foundational obsessions of American culture to this day.

You’ve just been given a pile of examples that show you are wrong.

I also don’t care if elected officials bang hookers. And how is it hypocritical? Prostitution isn’t really a federal issue, has he taken strong anti-prostitution stances?

Forgetting the old ones…who here abandoned Katie Hill? (The rest were Republicans … not really a long list of such cases)

Your point that “nobody here would abandon…” wasn’t meant to say that since nobody here would, others wouldn’t? The point is that plenty of people who support Lindsey might abandon him over this. Which is what we want.

And sure, maybe some abandon him strictly because he’s gay. Oh well.

I would certainly abandon somebody for being a giant hypocrite. Never for something like being gay.