**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

Heartbreaking story about a mother who hunted her daughter’s kidnappers and murders across Mexico

Ever since 2014, she had been tracking the people responsible for the kidnapping and murder of her 20-year-old daughter, Karen. Half of them were already in prison, not because the authorities had cracked the case, but because she had pursued them on her own, with a meticulous abandon.

She cut her hair, dyed it and disguised herself as a pollster, a health worker and an election official to get their names and addresses. She invented excuses to meet their families, unsuspecting grandmothers and cousins who gave her details, however small. She wrote everything down and stuffed it into her black computer bag, building her investigation and tracking them down, one by one.

She knew their habits, friends, hometowns, childhoods. She knew the florist had sold flowers on the street before joining the Zeta cartel and getting involved in her daughter’s kidnapping. Now he was on the run and back to what he knew, selling roses to make ends meet.

Without showering, she threw a trench coat over her pajamas, a baseball cap over her fire engine-red hair and a gun in her purse, heading for the border to find the florist. On the bridge, she scoured the vendors for flower carts, but that day he was selling sunglasses instead. When she finally found him, she got too excited, and too close. He recognized her and ran.

He sprinted along the narrow pedestrian pass, hoping to get away. Mrs. Rodríguez, 56 at the time, grabbed him by the shirt and wrestled him to the rails. She jammed her handgun into his back.

“If you move, I’ll shoot you,” she told him, according to family members involved in her scramble to capture the florist that day.

6 Likes

[quote]What do you do for football?
[/quote]

Be a Bears a fan.

can someone explain substack to me? I feel like I’m missing something. Is it just mailchimp with a payment processing thing tacked on? I was expecting something where I could browse a bunch of content generators and kinda build whatever package I want, and get charged one fee. But instead it feels like there are four billion separate sites out there and I have to find them on my own and subscribe to them and there’s no single control panel where I can see all my subscriptions? I kinda thought I’d be able to read everything in the browser too, but apparently it’s email only?

seems like RSS would have been the perfect vehicle for this stuff but lol thanks google.

Also, lol at paying $8/month for yggy hot takes. I mean I like the guy and would pay something for his content, but $8??? I pay $4/month for radiotopia (which is really just a donation) and that’s like for 200 podcasts I listen to.

2 Likes

RIP John le Carre

https://twitter.com/JonnyGeller/status/1338239733638508547

3 Likes

Yeah I pay $4 per month for the NYT which, yes, lol NYT and all, but like they have an international network of actual journalists. I think I’ll get the cliffs notes of Matt Yglesias hot takes from twitter. Anyone paying for Glenn Greenwald is as big a sucker as Trump STOP THE STEAL donors.

1 Like

That sucks. He was an amazing author and observer who wrote far above the genre fiction category he was usually stuck in.

1 Like

Organized crime in the US was formalized in the form of corporations and made mostly legal.

3 Likes

Buffstreamz.com is free for redzone, and all NFL games

Youtube TV has Red Zone plus whatever games you get locally via networks, plus NFLN

Man, I had no idea he was still alive.

Red Zone without Andrew Siciliano would make me sad.

Yeah I don’t like that either.

It’s time for Amazon to buy Redzone and have a multi-screen version.

I’m madder about people wasting my time with “this yggy take is a waste of time” take than I am about the takes themselves, like this guy needs a shot of self awareness, I’m reading yggy takes, I already KNOW they’re a waste of time, dipshit

1 Like

Can I monetize my spicy takes?

Let’s say I did one of these solutions. Any issues with bandwith streaming 4 games in HD at the same time.

I stream 3 games all the time on a 150mbps connection.

Hardwired or wifi?

Smooth the whole time? No buffering or other pauses?

Streaming quality, even with good quality apps like Youtube TV and NFL Sunday Ticket, is significantly worse than cable, satellite, or broadcast. I find it tolerable but it’s for sure worse.

Yeah, that’s been my experience. I just haven’t tried it in a while, so I thought maybe things are better now. I guess I’m stuck just paying a shitton of money to DirectTV.