**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

idiot business owners should not co-opt political protests, or at the very least study the most recent of histories about what happens to autonomous zones.

not actually a huge fan of honeycrisps. often get gala or pink lady instead. jonahgolds and golden delicious are great if you have access to a tree. much better picked than mass distribution

2 Likes

I’m on Team Braeburn for life.

1 Like

If this is your taste preference, I would be stunned if you didn’t love Cosmic Crisp.

I am an evangelist for two fruits: pineapple and Cosmic Crisp apples.

1 Like

I read an article about Cosmic Crisp a while back and have been searching for them. None in the Dallas area that I could find. Hopefully that changes soon

oh i will definitely try it

I will eat honeycrisps but as someone else noted upthread they have a pretty high variance. I’ve been enjoying galas more than I used to, not sure if they’re better this year or if my tastes have changed.

I had some Korus a couple of years ago, I think they were from new zealand, they were off the charts but haven’t seen them again. :(

Honeycrisps are fine but they’re like three times the price of golden delicious, which are also good.

I clicked on the embedded link because I secretly love being rickrolled, but it was worse than that. I was directed to 22.

8 Likes

And of course their garbage software means that all the work spidercrab put into finding a specific post to link to was wasted and we were just presented with the enormous ad at the top of the forum.

Anyone ITT possibly a Microsoft Word wizard? I’ve hit a formatting issue trying to clear out manual tabs vs auto-formatted hanging indents. Going to FORMATTING and clearing the indentation and tabs settings doesn’t help :frowning:

I could paste as plain text, but I need to preserve all of the OTHER formatting in the document.

Find+Replace “^t” with nothing :+1:

My bad. I guess it’s my add-ons, but I’ve never seen this ad that everyone’s complaining about. In any event, here’s my post from the OOT greatest fruit nomination thread (holy shit 7 years ago):

Obviously pineapple. Fantastic on its own, plus incredible versatility:

• Key player in fruit salad, or as a salad topping

• Excellent grilled

• Great on pizza (potentially controversial) or on cheesesteaks (cheesesteak with pineapple and hot peppers is a HoF sandwich)

• Standard accompaniment to tropical drinks

• Can even hold the tropical drink

• Core ingredient of ambrosia

• The difference between standard and GOAT carrot cake

• pineapple upside cake

Pineapple - GOAT fruit

10 Likes

Reading through the replies, not surprised at all to see that kioshk is anti-pineapple.

A lot of Honeycrisp support, as well, but that’s excusable because Cosmic Crisp hadn’t yet been developed as of 2013.

Pineapple is good. Honeycrisp apples for me lately but as pvn said, variance. I once bought some more expensive apples than usual that were amazing. Smelled and tasted like eating flowers. I don’t remember what they were and have never had that experience again. Damn.

No pineapple on pizza. No!

I’ll mention again that supermarket apples are very old, often more than a year, and if you ever have the opportunity to go to an orchard and eat freshly picked apples you should do so.

I feel embarrassed to admit that I only recently learned this (from reading here!) despite living within walking distance of an orchard for like 10 years. In hindsight it makes sense as the apple part of the orchard was only open from like July-Oct/Nov.

I don’t understand why potentially super old supermarket apples would go bad after a couple of weeks at home.

We have local apple orchards. I should go sometime. From personal experience, there is a huge difference between fresh off the tree citrus (yum) and supermarket (yuck). Of course it was easier with citrus because the orchard was my parent’s yard.

Grocery store tomatoes are garbage.

3 Likes

According to Watkins, we have a technology called Controlled Atmosphere (CA) storage to thank for being to eat an apple whenever we please. In CA storage rooms, the temperature, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and humidity levels are adjusted to form hospitable hibernation environments for apples being stored after harvest.

“The whole idea is to put the apple to sleep,” Watkins says.

The perfect combination of temperature and gases, which differs for each variety, allows apples to stay fresh for longer after harvest than if they were simply refrigerated. Commercially refrigerating apples only preserves the fruit for a few months before it gets soft and dehydrated. And just keeping them in your home refrigerator? They’ll likely only stay fresh for a few weeks.

1 Like