**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

Yeah, that ambiguity question doesn’t work for every job or job type. He was hiring people with minimum a BS in engineering and more likely a masters degree, who would be working independently at various off-site locations.

I wouldn’t use that question for hiring sales people. Not only because it’s not as applicable, but also when I shared the question with a few fellow recruiters, one of them responded by saying…“What’s ambiguity?”

1 Like

Pros:

• A player in my small-at-the-time field
  • A part of the country I wanted to live in
  • Encouraged/supported both teaching and research, which is vanishingly rare

Cons

• Department chair is apparently a bit of a douche
5 Likes

O looks like he’s doing it ironically.

To be fair, alot of the dance about saying you care about the company / needing someone to say they care about the company is a very basic screening mechanism for basic competence. Like if you’re looking for a job and you don’t have the common sense to Google “how to interview for a job”, then I’m not sure I want to hire you. As @clovis8 mentioned some people are so bad at interviewing that they can’t even cover the absolute basics (research the company and the role, be prepared to ask questions, etc.). I wouldn’t trust someone with that little self determination to be good at, well, anything.

1 Like

Its hard to say …

4 Likes

ParkingSpaceMeme

After I moved my car yesterday, someone else took that prime spot by car-B parking there. When I went out in the cold this morning to move my car before I could possibly get ticketed, there was a car-A in that spot. You’re welcome, a-holes.

I’m supposedly looking for a job, so the current discussion is raising my anxiety. If someone asks me why I want to work for a company, top of mind is going to be how good their parking is.

4 Likes

Just got “fully meets expectations” all the way down the board - the employee review equivalent of straight Cs!

My boss is annoyed that when she gives me a bunch of POCs and says “I don’t care which one you work on” - I’m not spending 8 hours/day producing a bunch of busy work. I fucking hate POCs that will probably never see the light of day - pretty much my life at hyper-global-mega-corp for the last two years.

Any project I’ve ever done here that people have counted on me, I have knocked out of the park, by all admissions. The second the POC gets serious, I get serious. I’m just saying I’m a racehorse. You can’t make me trot around a goddam show ring.

When I was 19 I was struggling to find any job that would have me. Filled out an application at Burger King and sat down to interview with the manager.

First question: “Why do you want to work at Burger King?”

“Desperation”, I answered.

He hired me.

Later that day I got a slightly better job offer at Dunkin’ Donuts and never showed up for my first BK shift.

12 Likes

Wow suzzer is going full Tucker Carlson on us.

13 Likes

We’ve been through this.

The BK guy is okay with people keeping it real, you should have worked for him.

2 Likes

No way. 3rd shift at Dunkin’ in an early 90’s rust belt city was chock full of formative life experiences.

2 Likes

First evidence of hope in 2020: I saw Cosmic Crisp apples at the grocery store for the first time in about 7 months.

GOAT apple and it’s not even close.

As someone who apparently interviews terribly, 1 for 30 lifetime, this is depressing. I apparently cleared the bare minimum bars mentioned, so I guess it’s just me.

3 Likes

in general I find that most people use “cultural fit” as an excuse for getting rid of candidates when they don’t have a good reason, and overreliance on it is pretty highly correlated with monoculture.

referrals are absolutely the best way to get a good hire IMO, but can also lead to extreme monoculture.

the biggest problem with hiring is that individual hiring managers are HIGHLY incentivized to go with safe hires and have almost zero incentive to take a flyer on someone, so diversity gets a lot of lip service in the aggregate but all the individual hiring managers only make offers to the safe candidates that they have referrals for, which in practice means (in my industry) 95% white guys.

as a hiring manager I might get a single req for the quarter and if it doesn’t work out it might mean six months (in the US) or more (in europe) of bullshit on my plate. a lot of these guys really do think diviersity is a noble goal and want the company to be more diverse but for THIS hire they just need a guy RIGHT NOW that can jump in and hit the ground running and they have a STELLAR referral for THIS guy who just happens to be white and male, and every one of them will rationalize it as “MY req is unique”

2 Likes

The very idea of interviewing terrifies me but my percentage is really high. I must be taking too many BK type jobs.

yea I interviewed a bunch in college for internships before Senior year, never fucking got one, then got out of school in 2009 lookin for a job and went 0 for a fuckload on interviews before walmart hired me to stock shelves.

1 Like

My buddy is a finance degenerate who interviews other finance degenerates.

They don’t drug test, but he says “We only drug test applicants who ASK about the drug test.”

Hol up. They’re better than Honey Crisps? Gonna need details.

1 Like

Umm, yes. It’s a hybrid of Honeycrisp and Enterprise.

Honeycrisp has an elite ceiling, but they have huge variance and do not keep very long. Cosmic Crisp taste as good or better than Honeycrisp, plus the texture is better. There is literally no reason to ever purchase Honeycrisp if Cosmic Crisp is available.

1 Like