**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

Yes

No, but the spaceman in Arizona won!

2 Likes

Trolly counts fake votes, while your pal smrk only counts LEGALLY cast votes, big difference! Release the #kraken!

german dw did a documentary on it recently. the chocolate trade is all sorts of screwed up. some countries like ghana track the beans from harvesting and allegedly most of those employed are not children (but they still get paid shit and the schools are ā€¦ well they wouldnā€™t pass for schools anywhere in europe), but the chocolate that consumers end up buying is a blend of dozens of different shipments from all over the world. so itā€™s very difficult to control, unless you trust what you are buying is actually single origin and fair trade.

2 Likes

Kemp is an antifa communist clown

1 Like

Theyā€™re two weeks away!

I fought Bryce would be more excited about the spaceman winning.

I canā€™t believe they got me to post an adā€¦ But itā€™s one of the best short videos Iā€™ve seen this year.

2 Likes

I recommended a guy for a sales exec postion at work, this is a guy Iā€™ve worked with in the past and he has a long track record of closing monster deals in our pretty narrow market niche. I talked to the head of sales yesterday on some other stuff and asked him how the interviewing was going.

ā€œoh yeah that guy you recommended, he is EXACTLY who we were hoping to find! Butā€¦ he talks a LOT.ā€

so instead of jumping on it and getting an offer to this guy asap theyā€™re going to keep interviewing. Sales people blow my mind, they are super macho with this ā€œNOTHING matters except CLOSINGā€ but itā€™s all baloney, in reality they are constantly looking for the most superficial reasons to dismiss a prospect, just absolutely shooting themselves in the foot.

TBF, this guy does talk a LOT, literally never shuts up, but the dude has landed more whales than I can count, like who gives a shit?

8 Likes

Did you notice how profoundly uncool it was after you shook off the sleep? Like, I have the same pocket protector as James Bond kind of an uncool dream.

Yeah, but the movie is absolutely top notch.

5 Likes

Apparently the most notable thing is that the ad features the first use of a re-recorded Taylor swift song. (Ie, she gets the money, not her former record company.)

https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/1334173604074967040

So apparently twitter is now curating your feed, even if you have latest tweets selected. I figured they would - thereā€™s just too much value in being the gatekeeper. They canā€™t resist. The only way around it is use lists, or tweetdeck or tweetbot or something.

Facebook was infinitely better back in the old days when I saw all my friendsā€™ posts in order. I thought Latest Tweets on twitter was doing that, which was one of the last good things about twitter to me. But nope.

The fact that neither FB or twitter will even give you the option of seeing all posts shows how valuable being the curator/gatekeeper is.

Why would twitter want to take things out of your feed? Seems like theyā€™d just want to throw extra stuff in.

Because a) they think they know better than you what you want to see and b) curating is all the value.

Maybe. Seems to me that the value is getting your eyeballs on their site and theyā€™d want you to see and get notified when the people you are following post anything.

My wife is why I saw this ad. She saw it because Taylor Swift pretty predictably blasted it all over social media.

Still an absolutely amazing ad for a dating site. Seriously itā€™s hysterical.

Facebook stopped doing that a long long time ago. Thereā€™s too much value in being the gatekeeper/curator. You can reward posters deemed good for the site and punish (shadow ban) posters deemed bad.

IE - any time I would post a link to my blog it hardly gets any response. So once I posted ā€œas a test, please like or reply if you get thisā€ - It got like 8 replies out of 500 friends. FB does not like links that take users off the site. But if I post a pic that gets a few initial likes, then it goes out to everyone and I can get over 100 likes.

Also posters can literally pay to have their posts promoted. FB knows most people would probably rather see all posts if given a choice. So they donā€™t even offer it as an option.

Twitter tried doing it with Home (heavily curated) vs. Latest Tweets (apparently also curated now). They still randomly switch you to Home constantly and you have to switch back to Latest Tweets. Thereā€™s just no way they want to show everything. They want control of content.

Hi folks. You may or may not have noticed some drama in the forum over the long weekend. I made a post in About Unstuck with a proposal in response.

If youā€™re interested, I encourage you to take a look at the thread and put in your $0.02, whether thatā€™s just to vote in the poll, or to post your thoughts and/or responses to othersā€™ ideas. Thanks!