**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

This boat is going to trigger some catastrophic events before long, right? Seems you can only jam up this much of the global economy before serious shit starts breaking down.

Honestly, I’m kind of surprised that the Suez has been blocked for over five days and apparently the cost so far is only $51 billion.

Nah, you can just go around Africa.

1 Like

Well, you can try, but the Horn of Africa is pirate central.

1 Like

Well just go around that. Make a really wide turn.

No it’s not. Nowadays, there are more pirates in West Africa. Besides, you have to sail past the Horn to get to the Suez anyway.

I am impressed by your knowledge of the current state of African piracy.

1 Like

I don’t know why I said Horn of Africa, I meant northwest Africa and the Gulf of Guinea.

Yeah, when I went through the Gulf of Aden 10 years ago piracy was a huge concern.

It was, Tom Hanks did a movie about it. I think there are still western Naval patrols of the area.

It was the Indian navy patrolling our convoy.

2 Likes

Excited enough about this video getting posted to mute my TV.

1 Like

This is how you get a boat ready for transiting the Gulf of Aden in 2011. First, put up some temporary fencing:

Then add some extra crew members to help keep watch:

And a bit of wire, wired up for 20k volts:

Add some razor wire:

Lots and lots of razor wire, actually:

And just in case, high pressure water cannons:

13 Likes

Like 10% of the global economy depends on stuff going through this channel, I have a feeling the world will find a way to manage pirates.It’s still wild to me that this situation hasn’t triggered major economic shocks yet.

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1375848381080293376?s=19

1 Like

I know I’ve expressed discomfort in the past with patronizing the gig economy. I’ve come across EatStreet, which at least treats its drivers as W2 employees instead of independent contractors and offers mild benefits as an alternative to Grubhub, Ubereats, etc. Is anyone familiar with this company?

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MotoHotei/status/1375994830896164869

3 Likes

A recent landmark ruling in the UK Supreme Court that will hopefully have wide-ranging repercussions for the gig economy rejected Uber’s insistence that its drivers are self-employed contractors, and asserted their statutory rights to the minimum wage and paid holidays etc.

3 Likes

Nothing like 45-minute old food that’s meant to be eaten hot. Yummmm