**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

I tried libreoffice once, and I actually thought the word processor was worse than Word. To be fair, I’m not sure if it was because I was just more used to Word or if it really was objectively worse.

1 Like

I have libre office installed on my 2 laptops and a desktop. Use it very rarely.

Same here.

Rarely because you use something else instead, or because you just don’t do much word processing and spreadsheet stuff?

I get people preferring the familiar interface of MS Office. I’m the same way with Photoshop instead of using Gimp even though I know they’re functionally identical. What I don’t get is using a limited online app where Google literally has complete control of your data instead of full featured and completely free software.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/lucaviftw/status/1375255108469059588?s=21

5 Likes

A mix. Fortunately, a simple text editor is sufficient most of the time. If I had a greater need, potential incompatibilities with people using Word would worry me. It’s been a while since I bothered trying it but it wasn’t good at formatting mathematical expressions.

I do quick spreadsheet stuff fairly often and sheets is accessible everywhere, including on mobile devices. The drawing app was bad last I looked. Librecad is a nice little 2D cad program that I’ve used a few times.

It’s been a while. Maybe it’s time for another look.

I still have openoffice. I think they became libreoffice? I usually pay for office software with my soul, ie Google docs.

1 Like

I have libre office installed on my home computer. MS Office feels better. Maybe not enough to pay for, but if it weren’t for their subscription model instead of a flat fee for something you actually get to own, I’d think about it.

Yes, LibreOffice is the currently active fork. They do new releases pretty regularly. The Apache Foundation was the last one handling OpenOffice, but it’s been mostly dead for years.

1 Like

I like Excel and I pretty much hate everything.

1 Like

I love excel, use it plenty for work and for a ton of personal stuff as well

2 Likes

Libreoffice. Allegedly.

I was several versions behind. Maybe it’s better now.

I’ve never used Visio, but LibreOffice Draw does whatever the heck this is:

I made that myself in just a few minutes and I think it’s pretty great.

5 Likes

Actually, excel is fine for most common flow charting. Word, too.

Lucidcharts seems good for what I’ve needed it for, but I’ve only tried the free version and my flowchart needed like 3 more objects than i was allowed.

Libreoffice Draw is also fine for basic Visio-like stuff, but the biggest problem with Libre is the MS Office users who bitch because you sent them a converted file and they can tell something is a little off

1 Like

Mrs j, who’s also in recruitment, agrees with you.

1 Like

This is a pain in the ass. Whenever I create a Libre Office document at home and have to open it in Word later on the formatting is off.

1 Like

5 year deal? What are they going to get out of it? One never finished book?

Heyyy-oohhhh

5 Likes

I think the idea is to hand him tangentially involved in a bunch if projects and market them as “from the creator of GoT”.

For work I do almost 100% of everything from linux command line so it’s a mixture of vim and notepad++ for me. Don’t much care for the microsoft IDE’s but agree VS code is good. For terraform, I prefer pycharm though.

Microsoft word >>>>>>>>>>>>> google docs. Google docs fucking sucks. It tries to be too smart and there’s weird formatting bugs that have been going on for years.

Google meet >>>>> everything else though, especially zoom.