**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

I’m pretty sure I’ve done what Clovis wants in Sheets.

1 Like

Giggity

4 Likes

The laptops have zero buttons.

1 Like

Apple computers SUCK.

This might be the hottest Riverman take yet. And that’s is a pretty high bar.

1 Like

I’m much happier with my Macbook than the 4 Windows laptops I went through in the previous 10 years.

Me: “Oh, I’ll just drag this mp3 onto my iPod folder and the files will transfer to the device like any normal human would expect.”

iTunes: “Haha, not today, bitch.”

1 Like

I’ve been negotiating a deal for a new car and I’ve got two options. No one has a vehicle with the specs I want, so it has to be factory ordered and it will get here in 2-3 months.

Offers

1. $X minus any rebates that are available at the time of delivery
  2. $650 + $X minus the greater of
    – Current rebate $4500
    – Whatever rebate is available at the time of delivery

Offer two seems good, but I feel like it is only offered if that dealer has a high degree of certainty that future rebates will be >= current rebates. Also I’m a little worried because only one guy made an offer like this and everyone else said they couldn’t. I’ve been negotiating online with about 6 dealers.

What deal do we like better?

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1375575310461063168?s=21

14 Likes

Microsoft’s business-oriented stuff is generally very good. Visual Studio is the gold standard of heavyweight IDEs. VS Code is arguably the gold standard of lightweight IDEs. SQL Server is very good. Excel is a bit of a behemoth, but it’s powerful. Their user experience is horrendous. Where a company like Google who excel at user experience are like “please sign up to our stuff because we provide you useful things that are a pleasure to use”, Microsoft are like “sign up to our stuff because we made it and fuck you, that’s why. Look, we installed OneDrive on your computer. SIGN IN TO YOUR FUCKING MICROSOFT ACCOUNT, PEASANT! WHY AREN’T YOU USING MICROSOFT EDGE, THE BROWSER DESIGNED FOR WINDOWS 10?”

1 Like

It is absolutely mind blowing that they are still printing billions of dollars a year from Microsoft Office. How.

Hot take incoming: I actually like MS Office.

2 Likes

iPod folder? What year is it?

You must have covid. Get checked immediately. :grinning:

Frustration with learning Excel is the main reason I never ended up applying for the Nobel in Economics. I emailed the committee to see if they would accept charts done up in MS Paint, but they never got back to me.

7 Likes

I thought you did win a Nobel?

Microsoft owns LinkedIn, and LinkedIn is exactly what a corporate controlled networking for working people site will always end up being–an abomination. Maybe not as bad as FB, but it is worse than twitter, imo. The premium services that I pay extra for, because I need them for work are absolute garbage because they are designed to try and get you to stay within their system rather than integrate with your own email. And even though MS Word will squiggly line under misspelled words, if you misspell something in a LinkedIn message it just lets you misspell shit. Also fuck Bill Gates.

1 Like

I have Nobels in Chemistry and Medicine, but not the big one. Yet.

4 Likes

That was you?

Yo folks, there has been professional office productivity software available for something like 20 years now that is completely free. Not “free” the way Google aggregates all your personal data to more effectively sell you to advertisers and oh btw they completely control your access to you own shit too. Free as in completely open source do whatever you want with it.

Or you can all keep giving trillion dollar corporations more money and control I guess. Your call.

4 Likes