**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/mugrimm/status/1372575334151946241?s=21

2 Likes

This sounds exactly like one of the premises of The Handmaidā€™s Tale.

13 Likes

Never read/watched. Too creepy.

Hereā€™s downtown Charleston after one moderate storm. Yikes.

Never read/watched.

At @microbet recommendation, I did read Galapagos, which has a similar plot element.

1 Like

2 Likes

I read some of this and it seems a bit of a stretch.

No more humans would be a fucking great result.

1 Like

I read the Guardian thing. Itā€™s reasonable to question the extrapolation.

But just in case: Ladies, you had your chance.

I wanna make a sperm joke, but then I remember my daughters are here.

Devil, how did you like Galapagos?

1 Like

I didnā€™t realize Lowe wrote (Whatā€™s so Funny 'bout) Peace Love and Understanding. Youtube is amazing.

2 Likes

He was a major figure in the pub rock back to roots scene immediately before punk broke, and when it did he was there in Stiff Records, producing the first punk album (Dammed, Damned, Damned), Costello, The Pretenders and loads more.

Deja vu:

2 Likes

It made me want to read more Vonnegut. Unfortunately my reading list itself exceeds my attention span.

It took me a while to understand what the narrator was doing in the story. I thought he was a time-traveler or something. Iā€™m not sure how I feel about saying big brains are a bad thing. Sure they get us into trouble but otherwise whatā€™s the point of humans? I guess heā€™s saying evolution doesnā€™t give a fuck. I liked the universal translator thing that did the quotations. Sorry, maybe I missed the point. Mainly I was left with a sense of helplessness and hopelessness for individuals. All the characters had complicated aspects. And this doesnā€™t matter, good or bad, the species survives, kind of.

Nano knows all your music. This is her favorite Nick Lowe song.

1 Like

Is that right now? Hope you all are somewhere slightly higher up.

My medium-term mission is to leave DC and move someplace warmer (because fuck DC and fuck cold weather). Charleston used to be high on my list but in recent years the threat of climate change has dropped it by quite a bit. No way Iā€™d want to sink a ton of my money into real estate that will be submerged multiple times a year due to storms and hurricanes. (And to live around a bunch of southeastern deplorablesā€¦ nah.)

I refuse to accept this lol.

Try this cult band of the late 70s early 80s:

1 Like

You stumped her there. Weā€™re listening to it.

My oldest palā€™s dad was in the Arts and ran an alternative/subversive puppet show on the South coast here with Ted Milton (singer/sax player) before he formed Blurt, but quickly left because he thought Milton was a madman and the puppet show was too violent lol.