**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

I agree that there are certain levels of activist/political murdering that the US hasn’t hit, especially in comparison to latin america. I was more so pointing out that extrajudicial murders of activists has already taken place in the US, so in that sense the seal has been broken.

@Basic historically, I’m referring to things like the police, national guard, and Pinkerton murdering people. Sometimes as assassinations(ex. Fred Hamtpon), sometimes mass killings in attempts to break strikes, some times as sham-like trials followed by executions(August Spies and Joe Hill), sometimes as law enforcement incited shoot outs(ex. AIM).

Presently, in the US there are murders that are sus like:

5 Likes

There’s an arrest in the Travis Nagdy murder - the first one I looked up.

Nagdy died of multiple gunshot wounds in the carjacking that occurred in November near the University of Louisville’s Belknap Campus.

According to a preliminary investigation, detectives determined that an unknown individual approached Nagdy the night of the shooting, and the two can be seen arguing on surveillance video.

Investigators said three gunshots can be heard from the video, then Nagdy can be seen falling onto the road while the suspect gets into the driver’s seat of Nagdy’s car.

The unknown individual — believed to be Nally — then leaves the area at a high rate of speed, according to an update from the FBI.

Nagdy’s vehicle was found crashed out at Lynn Street and Emmet Avenue.

1 Like

I haven’t looked at the data but my gut says 5 murders per 100k people would be considered low in alot of major US cities

No, it’s quite a lot more than that.

Keep in mind in Scotland the only weapons they have are broken bottles, if you took guns away from US cities they’d struggle to keep up.

Yeah I see we’ve already kind of covered that I didn’t read the rest if the thread before posting. Still I don’t see how that makes a city like Glasgow more dangerous, I’d happily be attacked by someone on the street or in a bar with fists or whatever compared to living in an area with shootings every day

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1371166850684489737

11 Likes

If you feel like expanding on your thoughts more on this, I’d be curious.

I know you’ve spent time in Central America and have a keen interest in it’s history and current events. I lived in Caracas for 6 years, and MX for a year, so events down there are always on my radar as well.

Part of my thoughts on this subject as it relates to the USA are:

1. Reactionaries forces have always used violence against labor and human rights activists.
  2. The US funds and backs kill squads and right wing governments abroad. The same politicians that choose to do that are also in power here.

As someone who (pre-covid) was a pretty frequent rider, I believe this. My personal observation is that people who drive uber exclusively are much, much worse drivers than people who do both or only do lyft. My theory was that people who only do uber are in the aggregate much newer to the game and just don’t know wtf they’re doing yet.

The company MsConwoman works for has a bee probiotic, and they recently reached out to the woman in the bee video to collaborate.

5 Likes

When it comes to murder, Europe is pedestrian compared to the Americas.

It always amazes me when people tell me [insert place here] is really dangerous and it pretty much never is that bad. It’s just bad relative to the standards of those who live there.

I’d agree here as a Driver in my experience talking to Uber (were basically the same, only we have a local base instead of a national base) Uber drivers tend to be newish were as a lyft driver will be someone who drove for a living elsewhere or done a lot of driving in his day job.

Bees terrify me but this woman has a YT full of this stuff

Bill Gates owns almost 10 million acres of farmland. He’s the biggest farmland owner in the United States.

1 Like

That’s standard Western culture nightlife in most city’s around Europe, get a lift to a house party with a couple of strangers and talk whatever the rest of the night. :joy:

1 Like

I spent several years working in LA in the 80s and 90s in places where the homicide rate was almost 100 per 100000. Never saw any violence though.

2 Likes

Baltimore was around 55/100k last year. I had a few within a 10 block radius, including one directly across the street.

1 Like

Because I worked nights and weekends you tend to see some sort of violence over the years, fortunately nothing too bad except for the young guy running infront of my vehicle after he got stabbed, I braked in time and he managed to run to the other side of the road, that’s when his GF appeared and said he’s just been stabbed.

I got the police while she sat him down, fortunately the police were on there way and didn’t need me for anything more.

Seen plenty of stand up fight though in and around town and came across a few running battles because of the football and gangs.

In recent years, especially the last 10 our place has calmed down considerably and it’s very noticeable, all-in-all its a friendly place to outsiders, it’s us glaswegians that tend to need to be wary.

If farmer Bill got together with Farmer Ted they could make Bill and Ted’s Excellent Farm Adventure.

I know there were murders in the neighborhoods I was in, but I never saw it first hand and never felt threatened. I could have been in the way or something or acted stupidly in some way, but the violence had nothing to do with me and everyone knew it. That was when I was an appraiser. As a contractor I’ve worked in the same neighborhoods (much less dangerous than they were in the late 80s/early 90s) and some of the people who have worked with me have been younger and less white and less obviously having nothing to do with the violence and they have been concerned about and even approached by gangs.

1 Like