**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

He means resident aliens.

If faster than light travel is theoretically possible it exponentially raises the chance of aliens finding us before we have the technology to do anything but beg them to not kill us. With the way life on planet earth works Iā€™m not super hopeful.

Having the military say that they have made real contacts with UFOā€™s that behave in ways they canā€™t explain in a universe with the possibility of FTL travel is a lot more menacing than in a universe without it.

The way my mind works Iā€™ve basically had a mental index card with the UFO sitings on one side and ā€˜what the fuck could that be?ā€™ on the other. Itā€™s not like I have any real insight, but believing we probably lived in a universe without faster than light travel really did impact the possibilities.

1 Like

If you captured all the energy converted from mass by the sun from now to the end of its life it would be about 1/3 [Edit edit I was right the first time so not enough energy. I suck at arthmetic and editing] Jupiterā€™s mass.

People say this kind of thing about cold fusion but it doesnā€™t matter. Thereā€™s always another hurdle. If dessin was here he would dismiss it out of hand. FTL is theoretically impossible. End of story. Heā€™d be right. Probably.

2 Likes

I know everyone is concerned about the energy consumption of bitcoin farms and data servers along with its impact on the environment, but I heard some engineers are working on a device that could lift 10kg up 10m with less than 500 J of energy so I wouldnā€™t worry about our energy problems.

12 Likes

Sorry

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to see a pic of the finished surfboard.

2 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrianDuffield/status/1369372402896023562

Waitā€¦ Was this a true story?

1 Like

Well I havenā€™t seen any Mr. Fusions for sale lately.

1 Like

Oldie, but highly recommended book:

You can probably afford it, even if you donā€™t make mid-six figures.

At least he truly lived first.

3 Likes

Big representation for Bobs with hair and without

https://twitter.com/cbr/status/1369437429787164678?s=21

4 Likes

I was super-pumped to give Phantom Tollbooth to my daughter and niece this year. My daughterā€™s already read it twice. What a legacy.

1 Like

I bought my niece a really nice hardback copy of Watership Down with these beautiful colour illustrations and she hasnā€™t looked at it. :frowning:

4 Likes

We bought a nephew The Wizard of Earthsea and he was all ā€œmehā€.

FUCK OFF BACK TO YOUR HARRY POTTER THEN, YEAH?!!

3 Likes

At least my niece went for His Dark Materials over Terfy Shitlib And The Gender-Critical Hallows, call that a win.

1 Like

I have. But itā€™s usually a shoddy casing full of used pinball machine parts.

I see Richard Garwin is still around. Heā€™d demand a cup of hot tea. Thatā€™s a big step up from a journal article. Heā€™s 92 now. I donā€™t think heā€™s going to get his tea.

1 Like

nope

6 Likes
2 Likes

@beetlejuice is this your house?

https://mobile.twitter.com/yashar/status/1369660060293505032

2 Likes

could be @ericallenhatch on twitter, he loves vhs

1 Like