**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

Just googling “evidence for learning styles,” it seems little has changed in the ~10 years since I last looked into this.

Agree although many feel this is a desirable feature not a bug.

1 Like

But I mean Betsy DeVos might be right while the experts are wrong.

Educators continue to invoke the idea, he said. Last October, as she embarked on a four-state “Rethink School” tour, U.S. education secretary Betsy DeVos said she planned to visit schools that are “working to ensure all children can have access to the education that fits their learning style.” During her 2017 confirmation hearing, DeVos thanked Senator Pat Roberts, a Kansas Republican, for displaying a chart in the hearing room that she could refer to during testimony, calling herself “a visual learner” – despite the fact that the U.S. Department of Education has discouraged the idea.

It’s also pretty easy to get distracted and pretend to listen or pretend to read while not really absorbing any of the information being presented.

1 Like

This was outstanding as usual. Highly recommend. She is one the most important essayists working today.

I’ve been following this case and I know it’s been posted about.

https://twitter.com/VitalVegas/status/1354233407140548608

I’m confused. He was an obvious drug addict with a demonstrated history of a weird ass fire fetish. What am I supposed to think the scandal is here. He didn’t have a will.

Carol Dwecks work is my favorite on the subject of learning. Her book Mindset is fantastic. (Apologies to her if a didn’t spell her name correctly).

Josh Waitzkin book “the art of learning” is great too.

Intuitively I feel like the is something to learning styles but maybe not the way it’s presented.

I just think it takes a lot of time to really get to know someone enough to teach them optimally. The way education is set up it’s just not going to work for everyone.

https://twitter.com/KyleKulinski/status/1354188049719156739?s=20

4 Likes

no:

From a quick look, I’d bet a debate between Dweck and Trump or Sklansky would be entertaining.

Hunters: What are the chances that you’ll get a deer on any given deer hunt?

I saw a video where a hunter said he didn’t get a deer all season (don’t know how many times he went). I was wondering if that was common because in the no hunting areas I’ve been in where there are deer you could probalby get a dozen in one day.

I’d guess my brother succeeds 1 in 4 outings or so. But it’s a strong function of what sector he is able to get a permit for. He scouts an area ahead of time and is pretty persistent.

Deer: Guys, we’ll be safe if we hang out here. The law will protect us.

Micro: Lol lawdeer.

1 Like

You don’t just shoot the first deer you see.

wow

1 Like

My boss goes hunting probably 20 times a year and I think he said he killed one or two this year. He could have gotten many more. Another coworker kills as many does as he can get tags for just for meat, I think he got like six this year.

6 tags a year? I don’t even know if that is possible unless he’s taking his wife and kids tags.

It depends. If you’re going for a big buck it may take 10 or 20 before you see one you like. If you’re just going for meat and doe are in season, could be as frequent as every other trip or so.

My dad has some farmland and rarely ever takes a buck but probably gets a doe once every 5 or so trips.

You can kill one buck and five does, apparently.

OK. I’m not searching it but that’s a ton of deer meat. I’m not a fan haha. Jerky is good, steaks are meh, and sausage if cut with pork is alright. Can’t imagine trying to eat 6 deer a year tbh.