**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

I don’t see much positive about promoting increased consumption of heavily processed fake foods. The goal is admirable, but the path is stupid and unlikely to accomplish meaningful results. Diets shouldn’t be based on ingredients and processes that can’t be replicated outside of an industrial production lab.

1 Like

Lowering our reliance on beef is a very big positive for the environment. I’m all for anything that will lower people’s consumption of it. Maybe this isn’t it, idk, but it’s maybe a step in the right direction.

The real kicker here is the cost. If it becomes cheaper than beef, in the distant future I could see it replacing it nearly entirely, much in the way that imitation crab has nearly completely replaced real crab. The problem right now is it isn’t cheaper. Taste wise, I challenge anyone to double blind taste test fake burgers vs real and tell me the real one is demonstrably better. At best they’re equal - I actually like the fake patties better though.

cloned wagyu steaks grown in a bag in a lab from an animal that was never killed are coming. the commercials will feature the still-alive cow being treated like a pharaoh. it will be the christ cow. instead of priests performing phony transubstantiation, scientist technicians will create the body of the reincarnated christ and it will feed the whole world. hindus and christians will unite to form a new religion around the cow. prestige tv shows and blockbuster movies will be made about the cow. and when everyone in the world is thinking about the cow and the watching the cow, it begins to speak…

13 Likes

How am I just hearing this now? I watched the news this morning and everything. Weird.

You know that cows are basically grown in industrials labs, right?

I can grow a near identical cow in my back yard and take it all the way to a cooked plate of food. I would barely know where to begin if I wanted to grow fake meat and would likely never get any further than harvesting soy beans.

1 Like

@Devil

https://mobile.twitter.com/tamybennech/status/1349577819983122435

1 Like

Impressive, if true.

Ok, but can he do that with a hippo?

Well, I’m not claiming I could do every part well. Just saying in a pinch I could get there.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1349735704612335628

I must be missing some context.

1 Like

I seem to have lost my AirPod case today. Still have the AirPods, but no way to charge them. Very nice!

1 Like

Probably just cows are bad for the environment

EDIT: not fixing the twitter link, because giant cow is great

1 Like

Then it should be team “no cows”?

Also got this in my feed:

https://twitter.com/andmoo22/status/1349561531986489345

Be funnier as Remoove Trump Now.

2 Likes

@clovis8 How’s it going?

1 Like

wait, why is there another “bitcoin usb drive worth 200 something million” story? Are these fake or something? I forget where the other one was linked, I think it was here.

i’m sure it’s not designed on purpose, but the complexity of using and securing bitcoin wallets inevitably leads to these deflation events that benefit all other owners of bitcoin

1 Like

you’re right.

to me, it’s just super weird to see two of these kinds stories within a few days - not sure if i’m just stoned though

1 Like

i will forever be haunted by the fact that i was flush with cash when bitcoin was $0.10 and i knew about bitcoin at the time as a potential investment and even to play poker with, and instead of even putting $100 on it, i convinced myself it would be a complete waste of money

but you know what? it would have been a waste, because i’d be one of these guys. i forget passwords all the time

3 Likes

Me too. I make myself feel better by reflecting on the fact that my bf is really conservative with money so would have convinced me to sell ages ago and that would have put a strain on our relationship lol.

2 Likes