**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

5,724.81 United States Dollar

2 Likes

But can overkill be interpreted as a form of futureproofing? Like, is todayā€™s overkill tomorrowā€™s adequacy? Or does it not work like that? I really donā€™t know.

To a great extent yes it can - but you still need to do regular maintenance tasks like get rid of all the shit that runs at start up, disabling services you donā€™t need etc to continue to get the best out of it, maybe once every few months.

1 Like

Like jm said, itā€™s a production spec box - at the financial institution I worked at we had a production server hosting SQL Server with transactional replication and jobs running most of the day loading tons of data with the same spec as your proposed box lol.

1 Like

To a degree yea kinda.

But computers are weird. Iā€™ve been out of school for a few years, so more computer sciency people are probably gonna see me butcher this explanation - but take cpu for instance. You dont get more performance necessarily by just throwing more cores at an application. Itā€™s up to the application to utilize those cores, typically through multithreading (but even that is a gross oversimplification - thereā€™s stuff like hyperthreading etc that Iā€™m not well versed on). Afaik most games and apps run on a single thread. So CPU is very very unlikely to ever be a performance bottleneck for you unless your box is doing a lot of other cpu intensive stuff.

We had a lab with 16 and 32 core machines in my last job and I got to play with them. Youā€™d be amazed at what you have to throw at a machine like that to get it to 90+% cpu utilization.

I dont really see a future where gaming ever requires a processor like that. But maybe my imagination is limited. I would bet the processor is a big chunk of that boxā€™s cost, too.

If gaming is your thing I would instead rather direct that cost into buying a machine with a motherboard that has 2 gfx card slots and buying two top of the line cards. THAT will go a lot farther for your buck, with games anyway.

2 Likes

I may end up doing this, though Iā€™ve heard it can get tricky if you donā€™t know what youā€™re doing (which I very much donā€™t). The processor is about ā‚¬600 over and above an 8-core Ryzen 3800XT (4.7GHz) so not the biggest chunk but considerable for sure.

Yea, it is tricky, and I think most people who go for that kind of setup end up not even utilizing both cards.

I game + stream from the same machine which is about the most intense thing you can put a personal use computer through and I have a 10th gen intel chip, 16gb memory, and an nvidia geforce 1660 and im happy as a clam. Just $900.

But but but the game settingsā€¦ they donā€™t say ā€˜Ultraā€™ā€¦

1 Like

All iā€™m really trying to say I guess that as far as most bang for your buck goes and future proofing, Iā€™d prioritize graphics card first, cpu last. Memory is getting cheaper by the day - no reason to have more than you need. But 32gb is not egregious anyway.

1 Like

Isnā€™t it way cheaper to buy a mediocre machine every two years than a beast every five?

3 Likes

he did refer to him doing the petersonā€™s daughter podcast before. i chose not to look it up.

but yes, he did talk a lot about his walkabouts. i came away thinking that if matthew wasnā€™t in hollywood, he probably would have been the maga viking at some point in time.

RAM is cheap. You can get 32 GB for less than 150 ā‚¬.

real gamers get NVME.

well, probably not gamers, but db nerds like me.

This is my strat - worked out for me so far. I go through a $1000 machine about every ~3 years. I could extend that lifespan by simply upgrading the graphics card probably, but I always talk myself into a new purchase.

Yea I didnt realize how cheap it had gotten. All the more reason why you dont have to have more than you need - itā€™s getting cheaper every day

I have no idea how these components add up to 4700 ā‚¬. That sounds overpriced. The first site I checked had the cpu+gpu for 2500ā‚¬. The rest of the components shouldnā€™t add up to 2200ā‚¬.

You should also check cpubenchmark.net and vgabenchmark.net for options that get you more bang for your buck.

Itā€™s a custom build, not a pre-made machine, so it includes labour and shipping from the UK.

giphy

1 Like

It seems insane to spend that much and not get a nvme ssd instead of SATA. Honestly I canā€™t imagine getting a SATA ssd at ANY price point today

1 Like

Iā€™m sure Iā€™d agree if I had a clue what that meant.