**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

I read some of this and it seems a bit of a stretch.

No more humans would be a fucking great result.

1 Like

I read the Guardian thing. It’s reasonable to question the extrapolation.

But just in case: Ladies, you had your chance.

I wanna make a sperm joke, but then I remember my daughters are here.

Devil, how did you like Galapagos?

1 Like

I didn’t realize Lowe wrote (What’s so Funny 'bout) Peace Love and Understanding. Youtube is amazing.

2 Likes

He was a major figure in the pub rock back to roots scene immediately before punk broke, and when it did he was there in Stiff Records, producing the first punk album (Dammed, Damned, Damned), Costello, The Pretenders and loads more.

Deja vu:

2 Likes

It made me want to read more Vonnegut. Unfortunately my reading list itself exceeds my attention span.

It took me a while to understand what the narrator was doing in the story. I thought he was a time-traveler or something. I’m not sure how I feel about saying big brains are a bad thing. Sure they get us into trouble but otherwise what’s the point of humans? I guess he’s saying evolution doesn’t give a fuck. I liked the universal translator thing that did the quotations. Sorry, maybe I missed the point. Mainly I was left with a sense of helplessness and hopelessness for individuals. All the characters had complicated aspects. And this doesn’t matter, good or bad, the species survives, kind of.

Nano knows all your music. This is her favorite Nick Lowe song.

1 Like

Is that right now? Hope you all are somewhere slightly higher up.

My medium-term mission is to leave DC and move someplace warmer (because fuck DC and fuck cold weather). Charleston used to be high on my list but in recent years the threat of climate change has dropped it by quite a bit. No way I’d want to sink a ton of my money into real estate that will be submerged multiple times a year due to storms and hurricanes. (And to live around a bunch of southeastern deplorables… nah.)

I refuse to accept this lol.

Try this cult band of the late 70s early 80s:

1 Like

You stumped her there. We’re listening to it.

My oldest pal’s dad was in the Arts and ran an alternative/subversive puppet show on the South coast here with Ted Milton (singer/sax player) before he formed Blurt, but quickly left because he thought Milton was a madman and the puppet show was too violent lol.

Another madman from the time…this one had a couple of hits…the well-known Cor Baby That’s Really Free and this one…

Beware Of The Flowers

(Because I’m Sure They’re Gonna Get You, Yeah)

Looking back at that period gives an insight into how quickly things changed back then. What was in one year was quite likely out the next.

Otway recently said he was regarded as too mad in 1976 and was largely ignored, but then punk broke in 77 and suddenly he found himself embraced by the new movement with other mad singers; then in 78 when being crazy dropped out of favour and the more serious New Wave took over he was outcast again.

What’s really striking is how distinctive much of the music of the 60s-70s was, as if people were less afraid to be themselves. A lot of the music of the counter-culture came from the squatting/anarchist “movement”, which enabled bands to live on the dole rent-free and gave them time to rehearse.

1 Like

LOL…Isn’t DC like a swamp 4-5 months out of the year?

I’m in NH, but I’m planning to retire to the DC area in a couple of years, in part to get out of winter weather.

Not anymore thanks to Trump.

10 Likes

Beyond the obvious data quality issues (I highly doubt there’s representative samples of sperm counts in 2021, much less in 1970), just assuming a continued linear drop as this article seems to do is really dumb.

1 Like

Nano didn’t know this, but likes it. Reminds me of the Toy Dolls.

eta: I guess Toy Dolls were retro - playing a style that was 4 years old.

Time to grow babies in farms like The Matrix.

1 Like

They voted trump in Charleston so fuck em, amirite?