**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

They talk a lot about how we’re in the middle of an epistemological crisis on the trillbillies, but they don’t have much to say on what to do about it. As long as everyone believes a bunch of nonsense about everything and the profit motive is the only real force moving us, I don’t see how we’re not heading for imminent collapse.

2 Likes

My ex and I have been friends but I guess she’s not talking to me because I went to Costa Rica. Never mind she and I were going to “bubble” together - in which case I never would have gone. But instead now she’s hooking up with her ex-boss - and they already caught some sickness they thought was covid at first. So clearly there are some leaks in the system. Also he’s married but his wife is studying on the East Coast and supposedly he has a multi-year hall pass. But my ex is apparently shaming me anyway.

But anyway that’s not the point. The point is I had a lucid dream about her last night where we were somehow back at my college, planning to live together, but she turned our house into a huge party house with tons of people constantly coming and going.

The weird part is a) I remembered it very clearly and b) I kept falling back asleep and picking right back up where the dream left off. I hardly ever remember dreams, and never remember one continuing for so long between multiple wake-ups.

The weird part is I’ve been thinking about her all morning and having an urge to text her. But fuck her she didn’t reply to me multiple times last week. She tweeted me. Fuck that. So I’m not gonna do that. I’m legit done trying to be friends for a while unless she reaches out.

But it makes me wonder, other times in the past when I pined for someone all of a sudden - maybe it’s because I dreamt about them all night, but didn’t remember any of it?

I’m not huge on the unconscious mind etc but it seems weird to me that you would assume the dream causes the pining and not vice versa.

1 Like

Well I didn’t pine that much yesterday. But yeah I’m sure the pining causes the dream. But then maybe the dream amplifies it the next day at a subconscious level.

1 Like

Have @Cactus explain to her that its all the government’s fault.

2 Likes

This thread has all the elements. Piners welcome

https://unstuckpolitics.com/t/love-hope-sex-dreams

My son is playing some Sesame Street game on my phone and I hear some character telling elmo “did you know tomatoes and avocados are fruits and not vegetables?”. That stupid argument is my biggest dumb pet peeve ever. Was fighting the urge to break my phone and burn down PBS offices.

If the food item in question is better consumed with ranch dressing, then it’s a veggie; if it’s better with ice cream, then it’s a fruit.

Spread the word. End the debate.

3 Likes

But raspberries make it into salads AND desserts, now I’m completely unsure

Ranch dressing is awful.

Fruit in desserts is awful.

2 Likes

Raspberries are better with ice cream. And salads that come with raspberries usually are served with vinaigrette dressing.

I forgive you for disliking ranch because I hate ice cream. We can’t all have perfect palletes.

ban

4 Likes

ban

4 Likes

Calling for bans when you’re up in the asshole draft isn’t a good look.

3 Likes

Scorching hot take here

The fruit part not lol ranch

Not yet I haven’t. Give me 10 minutes.

2 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1:

Wut?

1 Like

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/missouri-woman-believed-civil-war-widow-dies-75116731

Jackson’s father volunteered his teenage daughter to stop by Bolin’s home each day to provide care and help with chores. To pay back her kindness, Bolin offered to marry Jackson, which would allow her to receive his soldier’s pension after his death, a compelling offer in the context of the Great Depression.

Jackson agreed in large part because “she felt her daily care was prolonging his life,” Inman said.

They wed on Sept. 4, 1936, at his home. Throughout their three years of marriage there was no intimacy and she never lived with him. She never told her parents, her siblings or anyone else about the wedding. She never remarried, spending decades “harboring this secret that had to be eating her alive,” Inman said.

After Bolin’s death in 1939, she did not seek his pension.

She also realized the stigma and potential scandal of a teenager wedding a man in his 90s, regardless of her reason. In an oral history recording in 2018, Jackson said she never spoke of the wedding to protect Bolin’s reputation as well as her own.

“I had great respect for Mr. Bolin, and I did not want him to be hurt by the scorn of wagging tongues,” she said.

After Bolin’s relatives found out about Jackson’s role in his life, they went to the nursing home and presented her with a framed photo of him.

“She broke down and cried,” Inman recalled. “She kept touching the frame and said, ‘This is the only man who ever loved me.’”

Crazy story

3 Likes

Well, at least she lived long enough to see the start of the second one.

6 Likes