Nuclear Holocaust Strategies

I figure I’d be instantly vaporized but just to make sure I’d drive downtown to maximize the chances of dying instantly. Seems much better than going out via radiation poisoning.

7 Likes

Kubrick said the best place to be is Perth, Australia

Because it’s so remote there’s nothing worth nuking anywhere near it. Also winds maybe

Best place to be is next to the country launching it.

I mean who launches a surface-to-air nuke to hit a country bordering them? Target’s always across an ocean or continent.

I think that should be phase 1. As understand it, the fallout is most radioactive at the beginning, because all the fission products with very short half-lives are still around and produce a lot of radiation. So immediate safety might not mean much without shelter.

If I was near a reasonable shelter, I would go there, and otherwise wouldn’t bother.

I’ve thought about that scenario, as I live within a half hour of a nuclear power plant and have imagined trying to flee from that.

I can definitely understand being first to move and more decisive than those around you, but once you get 15 minutes away, the people there that reacted 15 minutes more slowly than you are now spewing out in front of you, and so on and so forth.

2 Likes

Aren’t you worried about these documents being stolen out of your car? I keep nothing of value in mine but I park everyday in an area where car breakins are common.

usually smash and grabs dont go for the trunk, and if they did, its not in an obvious place.

have had 3 break ins now, no problems. lol. petty criminals are dumb.

We discussed this in the Ukraine thread when it started. I’ve got some food and water in the car, and a go bin with immediate supplies. Also a road atlas. Basically spent 30 minutes on it one day with household items.

I’d get in the car and drive as fast as possible away from population centers and military bases. I live near the border between suburbs/rural, so if I got a fast jump I don’t think traffic would be an issue. Plus if I lived about 30 miles further I think my plan would be to shelter in place, so once I get that far, I shouldn’t have as many people to race.

Once out of immediate danger, I’d be looking to stockpile necessities and figure out whether there was anywhere inhabitable and far from fallout we could get to, and looking for shelter.

I would have to spend the 30 mins focused on my seed phrase so I can recover my tubby cats in the afterlife or upon reincarnation.

14 Likes

@jmakin What are you doing when your several liters of water runs out?

d6a600f0-787d-11ea-beab-7fe3318082b2_450_250

4 Likes

3 Likes

thats a good point though. I need to include a small gas stovetop to boil water if i need to.

1 Like

Just get a jetboil or the like. Lightweight and fairly inexpensive. Also very frugal on fuel. When i go on long backpacking/camping trips i use it multiple times a day.

My strategy is basically to survive the first 48-72 hours then rely on intelligence to have a fighting chance at addressing the numerous life threatening problems that would arise. If you’re really prepping hard, rent a storage unit somewhere outside the fallout radius in the direction you’d flee and stockpile it. It would double as temporary shelter.

1 Like

I don’t think tactical or strategic nuke matters. I don’t know exactly where you are, but I think toll road south means you end up with exactly two options in San Juan Capistrano. Option 1 you keep going south on 5, hoping they haven’t closed the highway at the border patrol station (they will have), and then you drive right through Camp Pendleton around the time it gets nuked.

Option 2 you slowly drive up over that windy-ass 2 lane road into Lake Elsinore and pray there isn’t an accident blocking both lanes (there probably will be). Now it’s probably over an hour since you left home, you’re still only about 60 miles away from LA, and I-15 is bumper to bumper.

Not sure how much time that buys you but I’m guessing not much. Like, if someone is planning to live off the land for weeks/months, seems like contamination is going to be a problem just about everywhere in a ~500 target strike let alone 1500+. Maybe I’m incorrectly reading his mid-term strategy though.

I guess you can’t boil the radiation out of water but i just assumed he was talking about drinking random lake/river/stream water and/or eating stuff like rice or freeze dried food or whatever with it as well.

A lifestraw or other water filtration system might be better for it than just boiling it though I’m not actually sure.

1 Like

this plan is absolutely only thinking 72 hours to a week ahead - after that it gets so unpredictable to be nearly impossible to plan for.

lol @ wanting to survive the first stages of a nuclear exchange. Even if you could flee living near a major metropolitan area (you can’t), life afterward wouldn’t be worth living. Haven’t you guys seen Threads? The Road?

3 Likes