Non-Political Ranting: Unleash Your Anger ITT

Yep, thats the scam

I’m very price sensitive for soda and would jump at a 5 for $22 deal (assuming you can mix and match the 5, which you normally can).

Yeah you always can at Safeway

Holy shit printing 2 pages of a PDF on one 8.5x11 sheet of paper (rotated) is hard. I can take the original and print it on landscape 8.5x11 and it looks fine.

But try to scoot that image over and print two of them on the same page, and it insists on adding a ton more margin. Googling reveals this is a real problem, with no easy solution. It’s such a common use case. Why is this so hard?

Basically my book is 8.5x5.5, which is exactly half an 8.5x11 sheet of paper. I’d like to print up a few copies, 2 per page, double-sided, to send to people and to preview image sizes and other layout issues. You’d think it would be simple, but it adds way too much margin in the middle and on the edges.

I finally got it close by:

1. Create a new paper size with 0" margins (I’m not 100% sure this one matters).
  2. Saving original PDF to a new PDF using that paper and scaling +139% (thus pushing the text as far out to the edge of the paper as possible).
  3. Save the PDF from step 2 to a new PDF, printing two per page, rotated. This is still too small.
  4. Save the PDF from step 3 to a new PDF, scaling to 110%, again pushing the text as far to the edge as possible. I think the margin in the middle is still too big, but at least the text is roughly the same size as the book.

Mostly I’m posting this here because I know I’ll forget how I did it.

1 Like

Robocalls switching up numbers after I block them. I’m literally never picking up a “potential spam” call ever, it doesn’t even make sense for the scammer.

I stopped answering calls from unknown numbers a while back and have been happy. It becomes a PITA when you are interviewing but is still better than getting daily car insurance calls…

1 Like

Definite uptick in spam calls the last few days. I assume because of the election but who knows. If I don’t recognize the number I ain’t answering. Still annoying though.

Still answer “potential spam” calls, mostly because my time isn’t valuable and I have gotten a legit call so marked.

My wife gets tons of spam calls every day. Must have given the wrong person/business her cell number. And yeah, they have loads of different numbers, so it’s hard to block them. I don’t get many, though I did get one today.

This is how many minutes I’ve talked on my phone in each of the last 6 months

58, 46, 146, 49, 38, and 36

I basically only answer my phone if my mom, wife or someone i know from work is calling. Don’t get that many spam calls though.

And confirmation of the simulation as I get a spam call 2 mins after making that post.

3 Likes

I only pick up the phone when either:

• I know the person and I feel like talking to them that instant
  • I’m expecting a call

I don’t know why anyone would pick up the phone in any other situation. My phone is for my convenience, not other people’s.

2 Likes

For my wife, it’s not about picking up the phone. It’s about the annoyance of spam call after spam call simply making her phone ring.

1 Like

Unless I’m meeting someone or expecting a delivery, I keep my phone on silent.

2 Likes

Android and ios should be able to whitelist your phone so it only rings numbers you have in your contacts.

This works for me:
360_F_198953063_tfz7qpv81kZSu1zwgFW5DuF4yfhGte6d

They do

Fucking health insurance companies. Anthem as if any of them are worse than others.
Continually apologizing and transferring me to the ‘right’ dept whilst not fixing the simplest of thing. C*#ts.

You can get their undivided attention if you hack them. And $20M, allegedly.