Non-Political Ranting: Unleash Your Anger ITT

Fuck all printers, but HP printers in particular. Try Brother, brother.

At one point a few years ago, I got so frustrated with our department’s printers (a broken printer during exams is extremely bad times) that I used “likely ability to fix paper jams and other printer issues” as an unspoken criteria for my votes in faculty hiring.

It’s astonishing how little (negative?) progress we’ve made.

1 Like

I have had many a problem with HP inkjet multifunction printers. The Laserjets? Rock Solid.

I’ve had my Brother basic b&w multifunction laser for a billion years that just keeps plugging along.

I’ll only ever get brother and laser printers from here on.

As I said, I did (do) have a Brother, but it didn’t have wifi, which made wifi printing inconsistent (I had it connected to the router via ethernet). Printed great, though, never had jams or anything. Figured getting something new with actual wifi would be better. Was good for a while once I figured out how to set it up manually, but now it’s just hit and miss, mostly miss, and whether or not any given PC in our house will be able to print.

You fuckers. My 2016 Samsung laser printer was working just fine until y’all had this conversation. :stabby:

7 Likes

7 Likes

Update. Fiddled with it and it’s working again! It reported a paper jam but no jam was discovered. Now back to finishing my passport application! I ended up having 12 stamps since 2014, not bad. :queen_amused:

4 Likes

It’s rather annoying when I’m outside the US and want to input my US credit card as a payment source on an app and they want to verify my identity but the only option is to receive a text message with my registered (US) phone number that I do not have access to.

It’s rather annoying that in 2024 global cell service, at least in developed nations, isn’t cheaper and easier to access.

I’d been living in China for two years and never had an issue. Then in late 2015 for several months I couldn’t log in to Wells Fargo online banking half the time without calling them via Skype because I couldn’t get an SMS code.

Been dealing with that problem for at least 4 years now.

For related reasons I can’t access my Airbnb account on my current phone, just my laptop.

Checked out of one 48 hours ago and have received four emails reminding me to leave a review. (I will, I just haven’t used my laptop yet.)

Is it a big deal to leave a review immediately? I’m easy to please and have never not given a good review.

Free to access ‘roaming’ is available in most developed nations - I think my £10 (UK) monthly sub provides cell service in 71 countries or so.

Coming to the US in a similar time frame to debit cards i guess

1 Like

When I was in Europe last year I had to pay $10/day to have full cell/internet service I believe. Additional lines on the same plan were $5/day.

I believe there was some EA legislation to address price gauging on roaming stuff. Probably doesn’t protect folks from outside

That said. The go to play when travelling is to buy a local SIM as soon as you land for data and run your life on WhatsApp, messenger, email etc

Hey guess what, there’s a ton more end-points on this API. But you wouldn’t know because there’s zero indication that the panel scrolls down. Awesome UI AWS!

So glad that Apple has dictated we have zero indication that things are clicked, can scroll, borders, etc. Great new world.

This has been mentioned in another thread before, but Safeway has been expanding their practice of inflating single item price and virtually always offering buy 2, get 3 free.

I don’t want to pay eleven dollars for a 12 pack and I don’t want five 12 packs! I guess it will be good for my diet?

2 Likes