Non-Political Ranting: Unleash Your Anger ITT

I mean, hell, the headstrap on my son’s Oculus Quest snapped right off the unit, unrepairable, and Amex never questioned it. They covered the cost of the device. Same thing in this case, nobody is questioning why the screen broke (well, again, until the last guy, who then admitted it didn’t matter), they’re just saying that it’s not covered.

I need Atticus Finch or something. Or Jimmy McGill. Ooohhh…MORGAN AND MORGAN.

1 Like

Examples of accidental damage include: liquid spilled on or in unit, drops, falls and other similar impact, electrical surge, damaged or broken LCD, accidental breakage (multiple pieces)

this is straight off lenovo’s webpage–they do not cover damaged screens in the standard warranty. Yes, this should be directly stated in the standard warranty instead of the generic accident/abuse/etc clause they have so I agree with you on that but I don’t think this is an argument you’re gonna win.

It’s possible something like it turned itself on overnight with the screen closed and overheated but I’d bet at least 95% of the “it just broke itself” calls on screen damage they get are complete lies.

If you really have raised a daughter who tells you things you don’t know about she did that could make you possibly punish her for it, then you have a way better daughter than most, tip of the cap to you.

1 Like

Lenovo sucks.

She accidentally closed it too hard and didn’t realize she broke it until she opened it the next day.

Temperature change in the house over night.

1 Like

Happened to me.

I put it in my backpack like I did every other day I went to work, took it out, and the screen was cracked. Now it wasn’t cracked to the point where it didn’t work. It’s just that a small part of the screen was now permanently black. Still usable.

Eventually, it did fall from an accident and then fully broke. Thankfully, I bought the extended AppleCare warrany and the screen repair was covered. Otherwise, I’d have to buy a whole new laptop.

[edited to remove quoted post]

jfc

1 Like

So I went to the Duran Duran concert last night and Simon Le Bon was wearing this absolutely fantastic tshirt that was a neon-green “negative” of Siouxsie Sioux and I really wanted one of my own.

Did some digging, found the shirt, only to find out that it came from an Etsy shop that was “paused.”

DAMMIT I want this shirt!
IMG_2883

1 Like

I’ve never had it with a laptop screen, but I have had weird, inexplicable shit happen.

Once my wife and I were in the kitchen and the glass on the door to one of the cabinets just spontaneously shattered. We were standing right there. Nothing was done to it and it spontaneously broke.

My wife told this crazy story to the landlord, who just paid to have it fixed without giving us any kind of hassle. Maybe he thought we were problem-free tenants for such a long time, that he might as give us the benefit of the doubt on this one.

1 Like

I know a few people who’ve had their laptop screens suddenly break without warning and in my experience it can only be one thing. His daughter was playing online poker and suffered a bad beat and rage punched the screen, and now she’s so embarrassed that she’ll make up any lie to cover it up. Sorry but it’s true.

9 Likes

So proud of myself for this one I need to tell someone.

I was stopped at a light yesterday morning, pretty crowded area, everyone on their way to work in one direction. I look in my rear view mirror and behind me is a nice Porsche and behind him is a large bucket truck, and they’re both doing that stupid thing where they’re inching forward a bit and stopping every few seconds until they’re tailgating me and each other even though the light is still very red and we’re like 5 cars back of the intersection.

And they’re both clearly raging and jerking the wheel and gesturing because the light is staying red even though all the cross traffic has passed. So when it finally turns green I accelerate super slowly and they both start going into turbo spaz mode practically punching their steering wheel and screaming as I laughed hysterically at them.

4 Likes

Ok, funny story from the way back times.

When online poker was just starting to grow, a friend of mine was multitabling and had his tables stacked. He was clicking fold on a table when one of the other tables popped up and he accidentally clicked fold on a table where he had quads.

He took his mouse by the cable and beat the shit out of it, and then called me to run him a new mouse as he couldn’t do anything on his computer without it.

5 Likes

Oh man I have destroyed so many mice and keyboards I used to keep backups. Would eventually just rip the power cord out of the wall while dealt in to all my tables and just walk away from the computer. I remember playing poker when wireless keyboards and mice started to become a thing, and I had to switch back to wired stuff because my keyboard would just be a frisbee. Never actually punched out a laptop but I lived with a guy who did it twice.

I didn’t think anything of it when I saw her screen name was Tuff_Fish, but now that you mention it…

5 Likes

I feel your overall vibe here, but be careful with this stuff as it will cause these aggressive drivers to do crazy stuff, like swing out to your right and try to overtake you on the shoulder, if they think you’re like challenging their manhood or something. Toronto streets are fucking on the verge of exploding into Mad Max any second these days.

1 Like

Yeah thank you it’s definitely the perspective I need to hear consistently. I’m not one of those people who are all confrontational in public and think if I’m are a dick to everyone and act a certain way they’ll change the world. I’m just getting my rocks off trolling people for a brief moment.

Hate it when I get into it with people in traffic and somebody does something crazy and it’s like whoa ok bro you win, you win, you’re the real lunatic here, didn’t think we were gonna go this far.

2 Likes

Sounds like she had a bad day.

3 Likes

I know you are trying to get them to pay, but laptop display replacement might be pretty simple depending on the model. Youtube the model and screen replacement and someone has probably made a video about it. I fixed my gaming laptop for like $80 when I shut a pen in between keyboard and display.

Yeah, I looked into it. OEM screen was $300+. Off-brand is half that or less, but all the listings say not compatible with touchscreen and that’s a feature my kid uses a lot.

I’m just going to have the shop repair it and suck it up. With their discount from Lenovo, the cost plus labor is less than what I would pay to Lenovo for just the part.

Canadian road rage has to be like the diet coke of road rage. Imagine living in Texas. Take the Toronto level of road rage, turn it up to 11 and then give everybody a gun.

Of course, I agree with your general point. There are crazies everywhere.

1 Like

Meh, everybody thinks the drivers where they are are worse than the drivers everywhere else. The specific observation about Toronto is that our population is climbing faster than our infrastructure can keep up, so everyone is angry on the roads all the time. It is noticably different than 10 years ago. Perhaps the same dynamic is occuring elsewhere, infrastructure management doesn’t naturally lend itself to good management.

1 Like

I don’t, because I don’t live in Italy.