Non-Political Ranting: Unleash Your Anger ITT

99% chance this dude was faking the hack and now has some fresh cash for retirement

1 Like

My free to play and no ads game website that (used to) have about 250 players during peak times has now been down for a week due to DDOS from a kid with a botnet in Serbia. Wonderful.

Well the mystery deepens. I contacted someone on our faculty who used to work at the FASB. He agrees with me that the textbook is confusing and probably wrong, but then goes on to say that sales revenue should include the present value of both guaranteed and unguaranteed residual values.

So now I don’t know what the hell is going on.

1 Like

After spending some time reading the actual standard at fasb.org, I think the textbook is correct when it says explicitly that revenue includes guaranteed residual value (i.e., is only reduced to the extent of unguaranteed residual value). But the textbook is sloppy/misleading when it describes why it’s excluded from revenue. I think it has more to do with reasonably certain collectability than with completion of the sales process.

I also think the standard (ASC 842) is a little confusing in terms of differentiating and labeling the lessor’s net investment vs. the lease receivable.

Carry on, everyone.

1 Like

My firm has had to maintain a fax (electronic) line because we had some contracts that required they be faxed. I’m now trying to cancel this fucking thing and of course the fucking “cancel my account” button doesn’t just cancel your account. It opens up a chat window so now I"m going to have to convince somebody why we don’t need a fucking fax line anymore in the year 2021. I’ve been in chat hold for 35 minutes now. I started at 5th in line. I’m now 2nd.

I mean, I know comcast or credit card companies will make you do this shit because they have other products they can move you into, but JFC, what the fuck is an electronic fax company going to offer me to stay?

Got home from work to find my shower and kitchen table like this:

Don’t feel like I need to provide any explanatory ranting.

(And do not @ me about the chairs. They are terrible and I hate them, and they’re the consequence of not being able to find a kitchen table during this stupid pandemic.)

haha we have those chairs, they suck, the white ones.

Really? No explanation at all?

Explanation for why I was irritated? There are plants all over the place, including in my shower!

Or explanation for the plants? “It’s watering day.” Stated as if it were the most normal thing in the world.

LOL, I knew why you were annoyed.

P.S. Is she terrified of spilling/splashing water if she just waters them where they reside?

Update: Apparently she likes to “shower” them, rather than just watering them like a normal person. So the big plant (which is apparently a he named Bob) was showered in our shower, while the smaller plants were showered in the kitchen sink. What I saw on the kitchen table was the post-kitchen-sink-shower exposure to sun. I regret having had this conversation.

2 Likes

How does a Mac protect against a phishing attack?

It protects if I click a link to a site that tries to launch malware. I obviously wasn’t going to log in to some site and give my password.

Epic grunch, but no, Swiss chard is the art teacher of the stemmy greens world. Just because you’re colorful and slightly squishier doesn’t mean you’re special or that you taste good.

I can’t be the only person constantly ready to punch myself in the face as one of the only people in a large, inefficient organization who tries to give a shit.

Yes, I know. Stop giving a shit.

4 Likes

I don’t understand why you’re annoyed. It all sounds perfectly logical to me. Recommend the bath to your wife to really give her plants a good soak.
#teamspidercrabwife

Fuck you disney and fuck you george lucas for ruining my entire fucking childhood.

Seriously fuck these assholes. Being an awkward young teen whose parents were going through a nasty fucking divorce, star wars and particularly the star wars novels were a great source of comfort to me. I played the game star wars galaxies for 12-16 hours per day (rarely ever sleeping) for about 2 years straight and felt I was living out this awesome fantasy in this cool rich universe. It was pure escapism from a rough time in my childhood and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it and I have star wars to thank for that.

Then the first blow came. Sony online entertainment made drastic overnight changes to the game which made thousands of hours of play evaporate overnight. The game was forever ruined, players dropped off, and the game ceased to exist years ago. Fuck you sony.

That was my safe haven. I played WoW but it was never quite the same. However, the books were still coming out for Star Wars at a fever pace and I bought them as soon as they’d come out. I fucking loved it.

Fast forward an entire lifetime later and here comes the disney purchase, the final culmination of a lifetime of money grabbing by that ■■■■ george lucas. Disney promptly and SWIFTLY invalidates the ENTIRE extended universe (the novels) in one blow. So basically that’s like someone telling you santa isn’t real anymore and by the way we’re taking this franchise in a whole new direction.

Then come the fucking movies. Do i even need to rant about this? It’s so fucking obvious. FUCK YOU JJ ABRAMS YOU LAZY HACK YOU FUCKED UP WITH THE MOST VALUABLE CREATIVE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IN THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET HOW DO YOU EVEN DO THAT

Anyway. I could go on for days. The re-edits of the original films, the trashy way lucas would license star wars out to anyone and everyone. Anything for an extra dollar.

It was never a real world, obviously. None of this matters. But to me it was real and special and it mattered. And capitalism in human form george lucas destroyed all of it. It was JUST A REALLY GOOD BUSINESS.

FUCK. YOU. LUCAS. AND DISNEY.

Goodnight.

3 Likes

But Baby Yoda is so charming.

1 Like

I was ready to start tapping out on the expanded universe after the Legacy of the Force storyline.

1 Like

Your rant reminded me of a line from The Big Bang Theory, when the gang is deciding whether to marathon watch the Star Wars movies in order of release or in chronological order by story timeline.

Sheldon:. “I want to be disappointed in the order that George Lucas intended.”

2 Likes