Non-Pol Hot Takes

We got PJ O’Rourke at my school. That’s the only speaker I can remember.

1 Like

Slightly pol hot take: discontinue the use of the term ‘gas lighting’ immediately, 99% of the people who use that term only mean “someone is lying to me”.

2 Likes

Set an early trend for liberal baiting that led to shock jocks and ultimately to Trump. He wasn’t to know though.

PJ Harvey >>>>>>> PJ O’Rourke >>> PJ Proby

The Joker character is such a caricature any hammy actor could do it. The media fawning over the latest actor to play the character like he’s some kind of acting god mildly pisses me off.

4 Likes

Pork green chile (from hatch chiles) is the perfect food.

2 Likes

I eat as much of it as I can when I’m in CO.

The local stores here in Western Washington just finished roasting the chiles.

I bought ten pounds which should sustain me until next year.

Nobody will eat the stuff I make because it’s too hot.

Recipe? I use the Serious Eats recipe usually. It’s not the same as in CO. I do have to use Anaheim/Poblanos instead of hatch though.

A friend and I went to CO for 4 concerts and snowboarding a few years ago. The only meal we had that didn’t involve green chile was pizza in Breckenridge one day.

I use this one because I have an instant pot:

I’m not from New Mexico so I can’t talk about it’s authenticity but it’s really good. I’ve taken to smoking the pork shoulder until it reaches about 160 degrees and then adding it in.

The recipe I use and the serious eats recipe seems to be pretty similar. I’ll try the serious eats one next time.

Lived in NM for four years. I use a slow cooker for a lot of stuff that “authentic” New Mexican places dry roast, and it turns out OK. It’s not quite the same, but it’s still way better than anything they make out here. The hardest part is finding real Hatch chile. And my local store finally had a Hatch chile roasting day. The local facebook groups were all in a tizzy wondering what it was.

LOL, when I moved to SoCal people were like “we have the BEST Mexican food here, it’s so spicy!”

1 Like

Sous vide is gross. I like my meat with some grill marks and some bite to it. Not flabby.

1 Like

I’m imagining suzzer sliding out a ribeye straight from a ziploc in a 128 degree water bath and digging in. “This is disgusting!”

3 Likes

I’ve probably never had good sous vide. But I hate the idea. I like the texture of grilled meat. Or at least seared.

It’s common to finish sous vide meat by grilling or searing. What do grill marks add to meat?

I’ve found it most useful for chicken and pork, where I have a tendency to overcook out of fear of undercooking.

I’m pretty happy with never cooking over an open fire again.

SUZZER.

You can grill meat that has been sous vide-ed. You can sear meat that has ben sous vide-ed. You almost always do sear/grill sous vide meat. The only time I don’t sear after sous vide is chicken breast that I’m turning into chicken salad or sometimes salmon or other fish.

1 Like

What’s the point of sous vide if I have to fire up the grill anyway? Why not just grill it?

My gf gave me an air cookier that leaves meat very flaccid and maybe too moist. I don’t like it except for fish. I want some bite to my meat and not just a finish.

For steak you don’t have to worry about indirect heat to get the steak up to temperature. You can just get the grill as hot as possible and sear it as quickly as possible. For steaks I don’t bother with a grill usually, I just sous vide it to the temperature I want, dry it off and let it cool off a bit, then cook it in a hot pan. It comes out perfect every time, never overcooked or undercooked.

The point of sous vide is cooking to perfect temperature every time without some thinner spots that are torched and others not done enough or just overcooking in general.

I use the pressure cooker recipe from Serious Eats in my InstantPot. It calls for chicken but I sub pork butt or shoulder.

A part of me hates all the sous vide nerdery, but I’m probably just being a hater.

Going to give a slow-cooked version of the chili verde recipie a go if I can find green chilis out here in the Midwest. Southwestern is one of the most underrated food styles imo.