Non-Pol Hot Takes

I like IPAs personally, there are definitely a lot of shitty ones around though. Imo the real monument to American excess are those bourbon barrel aged stouts that are like 11% alcohol. Those things are disgusting.

IPAs are bad. Have never liked em.

Gimme English or Belgian beers.

4 Likes

Not many better things in life than cracking open a barrel aged stout on a cold winter day.

1 Like

I guess if youā€™re using it as fuel for an alcohol fired stove.

2 Likes

I would personally shoot all American oak barrels into the sun before they get used to ruin any more wine or beer. I donā€™t drink whiskey or bourbon but I imagine they ruin that too.

1 Like

Had an argument with an American on his bourbon barrels, :joy: and Scotchā€¦ He said Iā€™ve not tried enough off them lol my m8 owns a bar with like 3 shelfs worth off bourbon that weā€™ve went through on many occasions :sweat_smile: After getting schosseled on Scotch 1st :tumbler_glass::joy:

https://images.app.goo.gl/DX7ysdqxmCdDRyun8

https://images.app.goo.gl/bEr5TY1Yb21TAZsw5

2 Scotch Whiskys that beat most expensive whisky for taste.

lol no, most scotch uses used bourbon barrels.

I love good representations of tons of beer styles and go through drinking cycles where I prefer some syles over others. Just about the only styles I do not like are Scottish Ale (except perhaps in a small dose as a dessert beer) and Barley Wine.

Also, this whacky new trend of brewing hoppy sours is disgusting. Like putting ketchup on a hot dog kind of gross. I donā€™t really think it counts as a style yet. Hopefully it dies a quick death and is soon forgotten, like black IPAā€™s, which were also horrible due to high hops not going well with roasted malt.

1 Like

Iā€™m kinda wondering if youā€™ve ever actually had coffee before. And by coffee I mean a light roast single origin that is prepared correctly.

That said, your hate of ā€œcoffeeā€ isnā€™t that misguided. The vast majority of ā€œcoffeeā€ sold in the U.S. is liquid AIDS. ā€œI like a chocolatey dark roastā€ is the equivalent of ā€œI like a well done steak with A1.ā€ Iā€™ve also noticed that places that cater to these people like to advertise low acidity as a selling point of their coffees lolol.

1 Like

This is a good take, although Iā€™ve had a couple good black IPAs (and a whole bunch of bad ones). Hoppy sours are pretty much all ghastly. Iā€™m not really sure why barleywines exist other than as an efficient way of getting drunk.

Also, ketchup is the standard addition to hot dogs in Straya. Donā€™t blame me, I donā€™t like ketchup.

10%+ beer is ridiculous and disgusting. 9% is the highest Iā€™ve had that still tasted reasonable.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure the best ones Iā€™ve had used Sinamar (a coloring agent developed in Germany for use in altbier and some other styles) to impart the color without the roast flavor.

scotch is a vile drink and people who love it are rabid in their love of the foul substance. gross

in b4 im hated on by the rabid scotch drinkers. ā€œblah blah blah you have never had good scotchā€. pretty sure my Scottish ancestors are posthumously disowning me as we speak!

2 Likes

Drinking is pretty vile in general. Iā€™m glad I gave it up.

Food and drink is generally, I think, at least as good and frequently better in the US than Australia (at least in the big cities) but Australia is light years ahead in coffee quality, there is no comparison. Thereā€™s probably somewhere out there better, but Iā€™ve travelled fairly widely and I couldnā€™t name a better city in the world than Melbourne in terms of average coffee quality.

Agreed. People take their coffee very seriously here and the quality is generally very good, particularly in Melbourne. Even in country areas you can still get good coffee.

Seems like itā€™s better to be ok with a lot of stuff, but people do seem to enjoy being picky.

1 Like

With coffee Iā€™m in the happy position of recognising quality but not really caring if itā€™s not very good. Best way to be. I do agree that itā€™s generally better to be content with stuff thatā€™s acceptable rather than getting yourself accustomed to the best. Leads to discontent in the long run. That Buddha guy was smart.

I highly doubt this. The cafe I used to go to imported beans directly from Columbia and Costa Rica, possibly other places. I donā€™t see how Australia would get fresher beans.

EDIT: Granted anything is above the quality of starbucks and like chains

Scotch is awesome. Glenlivet 12 is a boring Scotch that I never drink. Glenlivet Nadurra is nice.