Non-Pol Hot Takes

I mean,

So what is the difference. It all comes down to location, location, location.

Let’s face the facts, a Hatch chile and Anaheim pepper started out the same. The seeds of the Hatch were brought to California and given the name Anaheim. This was done by a farmer with a farmer with a famous last name – Emilo Ortega (source). Yes, that Ortega. He transplanted a New Mexico chile in Anaheim, California.

While Hatch and Anaheim are basically one in the same, they don’t’ quite taste the same. Think about this: wine lovers celebrate wines from different regions, people debate whether Vermont or Wisconsin cheddar is better, and those that will only eat sweet Vidalia onions.

I mean, Hatch chile literally tastes nothing like anaheim peppers

unless you get mild hatch chiles which is just ridiculous

Well, CO green chile tastes different than what I’ve made and possibly a bit better, at the authentic Mexican places who claim to use hatch peppers. They are the same strain of pepper though.

hehe, this reminds me of something that happened earlier this summer (take the headline with the usual grain of salt. no one “blasts” anyone)

1 Like

Anaheims, even ones I grow in the garden definitely don’t have much heat to them and my jalapenos are almost always a lot hotter than grocery store garbage. I add other peppers to my gren chile though. Thai chili peppers are one of my favs.

They have not mellowed this year and remain hot. Peppers are complicated imo.

2 Likes

I’m in fucking Ohio, I make do with whatever peppers I can find.

I’ve become a big fan of the seranno peppers I get at Kroger.

I sub serranos or thai chili for cayenne almost always in salsa and usually grow both. Serrano peppers are great.

1 Like

If you saw my photo in gardening thread, I have that 5 gallon bucket and another 5 gallon bucket and that is one of 3 plants. Definitely will be buying some grocery store anaheims for canning that stuff.

Oh, I can green chile without pork in the past because I only had a water bath canner. I have a nice pressure cooker now that I’m growing gourmet mushrooms so I may try pork canned green chile. Skeptical but it should work haha.

I consider canning sometimes, but vacuum sealed bags and a chest freezer serve me pretty well. Not sure there’d really be any benefit.

I make and then can the green chile like salsa. Do you roast and freeze them or? I’ve frozen roasted before because I couldn’t make the salsa/chile in time before they would start to get soft but usually dehydrate if I’m not going to can them. I have a few containers of dehydrated cayenne and habaneros in the freezer from last year still.

And dehydrated Serranos also I guess lolz.

2 Likes

I freeze the chile verde in portions, with and without pork, then thaw what I need for a meal. I do the same thing with spaghetti sauce, beans, and anything else I make in large quantities.

2 Likes

I grew up summers on a farm and my family canned everything except for peas, beans, and corn since i was old enough to know anything. Deep freeze? I have bean and ham soup from this spring I need to toss from freezer burn that was in my top freezer from refrigerator. I also have a seal leak though.

In all fairness, Joaquin Phoenix is a crazy good actor. As was Heath Ledger.

Also allows you to cook stuff chicken to a lower internal temp then you normally could with conventional cooking methods without the risk of getting Ebola AIDS. 140F sous vide chicken breast is so much better than any pan fried/grilled/roasted chicken breast that is cooked to 160F

1 Like

It’s 1998. You’ve just read Watchmen for the first time and your mind is on fire. You dial up an internet connection - the lunging tones’ gradual fading into static so Gibson, so cool - and log on to the DC Vertigo message boards, hosted on the Warner Bros website, looking for your spiritual siblings. There are fights and factions - light only comes from heat - but you all agree that Sandman, Preacher, Transmetropolitan, these are the transitional demi-classics of the medium’s maturation. Superheroes are finished. Culturally destined for the status of asymptote - a persistent special interest. A minor strand of the medium’s readership. Like Westerns in cinema, you all agree. Yes. Like Westerns.

1 Like

Mayonnaise is delicious.

1 Like

Mayonnaise - another word Chrome can’t figure out how to spell - belongs on BLTs and in tuna/chicken salad. Those are the only two acceptable applications.

2 Likes
2 Likes