‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - Gun Violence in America

For real? He did better in Dallas than in Houston? That’s very very hard for me to believe, unless you’re going county by county and Houston is split up into different counties in an odd way - which is very possible. IIRC most is in Harris County? Yeah, I just looked - but Harris County includes a ton of suburbs.

Then again, Beto vs. Cruz in 2018 isn’t necessarily the best standalone indicator of Texas politics. Like, the tipping point on where a moderate conservative might vote for a Democrat was perhaps far enough right in 2018 to include a bunch of upper middle class white people in Dallas, whereas in a normal year they would be steadfast Republican voters.

I think the politics of Texas are very interesting, and I’m sure they’ll be discussed a lot in the leadup to the 2020 election.

My first assignment out of the Air Force Academy was in Dayton. I know exactly where this happened. I’m so fucking pissed and sad right now.

They’re saying it could be 7-10 dead, more injured :frowning:

1 Like

I confess, I couldn’t figure out how to interpret most of the stats because they didn’t add up to 100 percent, and are often mixing multiple races and not listing it the same way. I thought El Paso’s demo didn’t make much sense when I saw it, and thought the same of San Antonio.

I think people must be listing two races in those places. The fact that most of the stats keep saying Hispanic or Latino of any race makes it very hard to understand the numbers. But yeah, you’re right about El Paso and San Antonio needing to be looked at deeper (even Austin to a certain extent). Some have the stats clearly laid out but not many.

I hope everyone you know in the area is okay.

Based on what I’ve seen on Twitter, it looks like 7 dead is the low estimate. There are videos of the scene showing several body bags on the ground. There’s a video where you hear 65+ shots. About 30 seconds in it sounds like a shootout rather than one person shooting, so it’s impossible to count at that point - it sounds like 3-4 cops firing at him. The rumors online are that the police scanners were saying one suspect may have gotten away. Obviously in the moments after a shooting, the police scanners are a reliable indication of what police think may have happened, not necessarily what actually happened, so hopefully there was not a second killer who got away.

AFAIK on the US Census, Hispanic/Latino is listed as a subset of white. So when you look at data that was pulled from the Census, there is white (all - highest number), and there is non-Hispanic white and there is Hispanic/Latino. Those should ~ add up to white. I think you can also list yourself as non-white Hispanic/Latino, which might mean the numbers don’t add up.

1 Like

Ugh. There’s a girl on Twitter posting pictures of her 15-year-old brother who’s still missing from El Paso, he was at the Walmart. She’s asking people to share it and retweet it and hoping to find him. There’s someone else doing the same with a picture of her uncle.

This is gut-wrenching. Logically I know that the likelihood is that these people were killed and haven’t been identified, but you just hope that somehow, someway they’re alive and okay. But to think of what these people are going through right now, my God.

Part of me wants to cry, part of me wants to drive to El Paso and give them a hug and find some way to help a tiny little bit, and part of me is just so outraged that we live in a country where this happens over and over and over and thousands of people will suffer this way.

Percentage wise, yes, but Houston’s much larger than Dallas. Main Houston is Harris County. The only other county he won near Houston was Fort Bend. He won with 58% in Houston and 55.7% in Fort Bend. He got smoked in every other county bordering Harris.

I think the best state to compare it to is Nevada. I think Texas will turn a little slower than Nevada’s hard red in 2010 (minus Reid) to purple in 2014 and 2016, and hard blue by 2018. I don’t think Texas is purple yet, but it’s for sure in play for prez in 2020 (I think Beto should run against Cornyn for a final litmus test). I think it has a solid chance to be hard purple by 2024, and blue by 2028. I don’t see it happening sooner.

2 columbines in a day and it wont move the needle. Media coverage will absurdly stupid.

Probably half the people i know dont even know anything happened.

Media reporting is so fucking bad. “Possibly double digits dead” is the line. Yea it’s like a scorecard.

Eventually it will be like baseball statistics. “This is the most minorities killed by a white supremacist on a tuesday in 4 years!”

Welp, only 9 dead not including shooter. This wont make the morning news cycle then, not double digits!

Nah wait. The reports will be “ten dead including shooter” now. Gotta hit those double digitz for the clickz.

1 Like

all our guys were asleep. I first read about it on European outlets. Took CNN over an hour to report anything about it.

Yeah I saw it on Twitter while reading some tweets about El Paso.

Nine people have been killed and at least 16 injured in a shooting early on Sunday in Dayton, Ohio, police have said.

The suspected gunman is also dead, according to police.

The injured have been taken to the local Miami Valley hospital, spokeswoman Terrea Little said. She could not confirm their conditions.

The shooting came hours after at least 20 people were killed in another mass shooting at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas.

Dayton police tweeted that an active shooter situation began in the Oregon district at 1am local time, but that officers nearby were able to “put an end to it quickly”.

Video from the scene near downtown Dayton showed a number of emergency vehicles on a street that had been cordoned off.

Everybody knows Trump doesn’t really mean it. That includes all his white supremacist supporters who will listen obediently when Ayatollah Trump issues his next fatwa.

1 Like

Imagine being enough of an idiot that you see all of these deaths and want to talk about mental health or even white nationalism and not address the plainly obvious solution

People
Should
Not
Have
Guns

1 Like

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1157973716929826821

https://twitter.com/donmoyn/status/1157861679813877766

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Avi_Bueno/status/1157832413961228288?s=20

And I get to enter work as the token American with people wanting to ask more about my fucked up country tomorrow.

No idea what to say anymore. I just cringe and move on. It depresses me to see this. To see an obvious solution completely ignored is inhuman.

I think it’s naive to assume this has a single easy solution. Obviously significant gun control is required and there needs to be a national focus on the rise of white supremacy. However much of this is all tied to the fact that the US political system is simply broken. It is getting very difficult to imagine a real solution that doesn’t involve some kind of serious downfall and rebuilding of the entire political and economic infrastructure.

1 Like