‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - Gun Violence in America

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1754959339717296449?t=1ATwu2nuss-76BIHl2n-KQ&s=19

1 Like

i don’t love it, because i’m not really behind the criminal charges for people for things they didn’t directly do. this is the same kind of charges that end up in felony murder charges which i think are draconian and shouldn’t be legal.

but i do think the parents of these shooters should more often be held civilly liable.

1 Like

I don’t know all the facts here, but it seems like she gave her son a gun even after knowing warning signs. I’m not against criminal liability in that kind of situation.

2 Likes

Criminal negligence isn’t a new concept and it is more or less intended to deal with this kind of situation.

1 Like

to be fair, this one was fairly egregious due to the fact that the parents apparently denied the kid has access to a gun at a school inquiry the same day he shot up the school.

if i was going to put up a case where it makes some sense this would be it. however i don’t agree with charges like this in general. i would much prefer this to be civil in nature.

Civil penalties really only hurt the poor though. I think our justice system should be much more focused on rehabilitation than punishment, but the parents actions in this case were clearly criminal

1 Like

I live in MI

absolutely deserve jail time for this.

I am NOT for holding a parent liable for knowing the mental state of a child (because then are we blaming parents if their child commits suicide?). But I do think the owner of any firearm used in a crime should be liable

We could blame the parents for having an easily accessible way for their child to kill themselves.

Yeah pretty easy co-sign on this. Do you have easily accessible guns in the home that were used to kill someone? Enjoy prison. Maybe people will start taking it more seriously when someone they know gets locked up for being irresponsible

Yep, thats why this particular case setting precedent is so important.

Most parents would never rise to the level of manslaughter like this case, however, the idea that you MIGHT be held responsible if a gun you buy for a minor is used in a crime like this has the possibility of compelling people to either not buy those weapons or at the very least keep them secured in the home.

2 Likes

This - given SCOTUS, states should switch from regulating/limiting gun ownership to laws adding lots of liability (both criminal and civil). Like make it that you are per se negligent if you don’t have your gun in a locked safe. Make it a misdemeanor to be carrying a gun without the safety on. I’m sure SCOTUS would find a way to limit what they can do, but right now just trying to regulate guns is a losing battle.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/InternetH0F/status/1755664076456280403

The replies on this are depressing as hell.

It cant possibly be acceptable safety training to just chuck a gun aside when the magazine is empty

1 Like

Somehow all the gun experts in the replies are fine with it. The important part is that she can shoot the next trans pedophile that comes after her.

1 Like

It reminds of that Sacha Baron Cohen bit where he convinced some politicians to support arming 5 year olds in schools. These people have no rational thoughts when it comes to guns, they just echo “more guns good” to everything.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Guns are the solution to everything that terrifies them, all of which comes from their political media consumption and zero from real life.